WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
18,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Pals

This is the continuation of my series of twenty questions :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

While some things remain constant, most change over time. Has your taste and appreciation of watches changed since being on WTF? I know mine have.

As some of you may know, I was a total newbie this time in 2004, having only discovered what a bezel was, would you believe. Well, I had no need of such knowledge in my world and circles then. Then too I was perhaps only just discovering sports watches, initially divers as one does. I have changed many watches over the past years as I grew to discover and hopefully learn about watches. One thing that was certain back then was that chronographs had no place in my life and neither did manually-wound watches. All that has changed of course when I decided to post a thread on the Speedmaster back in September of 2006. Knowing nothing about the watch, I had to make a study of it and as a number of you may know, the moment I placed one on my wrist I knew instinctively that the Speedy Pro and I were in a sense made for each other. While I do still embrace automatics, chronos are definitely in :thumbup1:

How about you pals? Do share with us your development in this kingdom of WISdom :biggrin::biggrin:

Y'all have a nice day now :001_smile:

ZIN

·
Registered
711 Posts
I have always been interested in watches. In the past I have had a couple of Submariners and a Breitling Colt (not at the same time). Then I got interested in lower end watches such as the Casio G Shock, I had a little over 50 watches at one time (Seiko, Citizen, Casio, etc). I Sold those and stayed with middle tier watches and built the collection back up to 13. Then I got on this Forum and got hung up on Omegas. I just recently sold most of my collection after I bought my Seamaster Pro (a few of my watches are still on E Bay as we 'speak') and then just yesterday I purchased my used Speedmaster Reduced.

I intend to stay with the few High End Watches I have (with maybe a PO sometime in the future) and the few inexpensive watches left for around the house night wear.:thumbup:

·
Registered
277 Posts
Breitling

Even w/in the world of James Bond, there's wide variation.

My initial interest was Seiko, as worn during many of the Roger Moore films. Then, of course, Omega, probably due to the strong cross-promotion between the film franchise and the watch brand. I remember holding one w/ my son's mother in Washington, DC, and learning that there was a whole new class of watches beyond what I'd seen at the malls in Michigan!

From there it was on to Rolex, the one Ian Fleming mentioned by specific name. And all that controversy that seems to stir whenever so-called experts debate model number(s) from Dr. No. I was amazed to learn that George Lazenby and Roger Moore had worn Rolex, too. Then, much later, Timothy Dalton: Happy was the day that I acquired a Submariner Date like his (still my primary watch). Then the Pulsar P-2, which I learned was not when 007 wore it a Seiko brand, but, rather, an incredible innovation and first of its kind from a company called "Hamilton."

Not sure if it's coincidence or "because of," but its only been recently that I've started to seriously look at Breitling along w/ the great help of members from this Forum. Not only a new appreciation for the beauty of the vintage pieces from the Thunderball film era (ie, 1960s), but also a new found fascination for chronographs in general.

Good question! :thumbup:

·
Registered
6,016 Posts
My taste in watches hasn't changed much, but I really enjoy the espirt de corps on this forum. Friendly, knowledgable, respectful folks who share the same passion as I do.

·
Registered
20,799 Posts
WTF has definitely increased my knowledge of the brands. I'd never heard of Invicta before WTF (whether that's good or bad is up to you.. :wink: ). Tudor, Grovana & Zenith are others I learned about & bought because of what I've learned & been exposed to here. While I knew of Breitling & always admired them, the forum pushed me over the edge & now I own 3...

So yup.. WTF is a gift.... and a curse..... :laugh: :laugh: :thumbup1:

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
I don't think my tastes have changed: I've always had champagne taste on a beer budget. Before WTF, I always thought Rolex was the best watch money could buy. I had heard of Omega, but knew nothing about any models. I knew nothing of Invicta, Breitling, IWC... I think I have a appreciation for more styles (diver, chrono, dress...) than before, more general knowledge of watches, and a higher credit card balance due to WTF.:cool1:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts