WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
.....Sorry no phots,......but say the case is worn on high spots of the bezel.....and the back has a couple of dings, and one edge looks to be worn through or damaged so that it is open a little bit on one of the long sides......

.....Can this case be saved??????

and if so ....do you have a jeweler do it ,,...and if anyone has an idea of what it might cost ....that would be swell.....

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
.....Sorry no phots,......but say the case is worn on high spots of the bezel.....and the back has a couple of dings, and one edge looks to be worn through or damaged so that it is open a little bit on one of the long sides......

.....Can this case be saved??????

and if so ....do you have a jeweler do it ,,...and if anyone has an idea of what it might cost ....that would be swell.....
We had a discussion a year or so back, where someone asked whether you could re-plate worn, brassy gold filled cases. The consensus seemed to be that yes, you could, but it would be prohibitively expensive and not yield the results you want. Rene Rondeau (Hamilton Electric) mentioned his experience that replated gold is thin and wears through quickly, plus he said it feels funny.

I think most folks weigh whether to trash a worn gold filled case in terms of the scarcity of the model, and how bad it is. Some brassing can almost vanish with a good polishing, though the brass will tarnish again later.

Holes - that's an entirely different question. Presumably a talented jeweler could fill the hole by brazing or some such, but then you'd have to grind it down to shape, and then polish it through a bunch of different grits.

Mostly, I think it's not worth it, and in your position as a dealer, I can't imagine you'd come close to recouping what you spent.

·
Premium Member
2,689 Posts
It depends

Before I'd bother, I'd first ask myself -- How much would I be willing to pay for this watch if the case were properly repaired with gold and re-plated vs. one that is original and very nice? THAT answer should help to answer your question pretty quickly -- and that is also the question I also try to answer before I buy any watch with damage. The reason is simple, the goldsmiths who do such advanced case repair also charge a pretty good price for their services -- figure $150 at a minumum and more likely $300-$500 depending on the number of splits, holes, broken lugs, etc.. The obvious answer is that most vintage watches are simply not worth the expense. I have used the services of a very capable goldsmith in California for a few of my watches. He does his best work with solid gold cases, but I have also had him repair a very rare gold filled case or 2. (I hear he is great at the hinged lugs on a Piping Rock.) When it comes to very rare and desirable cases, such case repair is likely not a huge problem as there are so few other examples for potential buyers to choose from... but with common cases, a buyer will always prefer the untouched case over the repaired one... so the repaired case is immediately worth less.

I should add that when is comes to dents, dings, pings, creases, and this types of damage to case backs, there are also people who are VERY capable at doing this type of work using special tools that merely rub and push the dents out -- this is a common problem with pocket watch cases, I think. Although the guy I've used in California did once rub out a dent amazingly well on the back of a solid gold watch for me, I also own PLENTY of wristwatches with such imperfections that I have never bothered repairing... in no small part because I don't think it's worth the time or money to do so, and also because it does not impact the watch when it's being worn.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
....thanks guys ...that is kinda what I expected.....a bit more work than a simple re-dial......but I had to make sure .....

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Several years ago I used to have a bottgle of silver re-plating stuff ....it put real silver down on a surface....but it wasn't shiny , it was a matte surface.....

and unfortuneatly , it's at home in California, but I have this wondreous book .....put out in 1937, by Popular Science, ( this is my 3rd copy, they keep "walking" away ....:cursing:......anyway ...amount the fabulous things it show you how to do ,....including building a what looks like 76 foot long balsa wood surf board........it has a several page set of instructions ....telling you how to plate something ....using your car battery ......seriously ......

·
Registered
172 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,640 Posts
I wanna see that 76-foot long surf board. :001_rolleyes:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts