WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm curious about different techniques everyone uses to keep their watches clean, especially the underside and between the links.

·
Banned
5,792 Posts
Here is a blurb from the Hamilton Watch company website:

Daily care by the wearer makes a major contribution to the lifespan of a watch and the pleasure it gives.

Clean your watch regularly using a tooth brush and mild liquid soap and dry it afterwards.

Mechanical and automatic watches should be cleaned and serviced by a professional watchmaker every three to five years, depending on
the watch.

The moving parts of quartz movements also need servicing and the battery may need changing.

·
Banned
5,421 Posts
I just wipe 'em down when I take them off for another and service them when they show signs of needing to be serviced.

·
Banned
927 Posts

·
Registered
748 Posts
I have ultrasonically cleaned my Omega GMT several times with no ill effects.

I also used this technique to clean my Heuer quartz chrono before as well.

In both cases, the entire watch and bracelet are submerged in the liquid; typically suspended (no contact with the cleaner's sides) with fishing line.

Use mild soap, and use the minimal time required to get the watch clean.

The build up of dead skin and dirt between the bracelet links is what kills them so fast.

The vibrations will not harm a quality movement (if you don't touch the sides). I cannot say for a low-quality movement, as I've never cleaned one...

If you don't wear the watch often, I have also used windex and a toothbrush on the bracelet. It gets the soap scum off (from hand washing). Remember to rinse it well with cool, clean (preferably distilled) water and blow dry with clean, dry compressed air. Blotting dry will not remove the water from between the links.

·
Registered
646 Posts
I use my Braun Oral B with an old head with baby shampoo, cool water rinse and blow dry. I usually clean them all at the same time since it's as easy as cleaning just one. My wife thinks I'm obsessive about it and that I need to open up a salon for them.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks all for the insightful responses. I have tried the toothbrush technique. I will try some of the others as well.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
My dive watches get rinsed under the faucet. My Breitling Olympus with its 20m depth rating, well, I try not to get it within 20m of water. :001_rolleyes:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts