WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
My wife has many more pairs of shoes that cost..well, not quite as much, and are worn much less often. Oh, and I buy her jewellery! :eek:hmy:

·
Registered
321 Posts
My wife is really cool and understands. As long as I don't go crazy with the purchases or buy something I can't afford she's okay with it. Only my father comments on my watches but he just wants to check them out. He's not a watch guy. I think everyone else in my family just minds their own business. I try to keep my watch purchases to one or two per year and limit myself to 10 watches. I will sell a watch if its not getting any wrist time.

·
Registered
691 Posts
how do you explain to the family about your watch collection?

Do they get mad? what about your wife?
It goes something like this :

OkeefenokeeJoe: Family .... I've gathered you here together to tell you something .... I collect watches, and I have a watch collection. uuuum ... Thank you.
Family Member #1: OMG! (and promptly faints)
Family Member #2: HEATHEN!
Family Member #3: AFTER ALL WE'VE DONE FOR YOU ... YOU'VE KEPT THIS A SECRET FROM US ALL THIS TIME ... I JUST DON'T KNOW WHAT TO THINK!
MamaJoe (on the telephone): Lucille, call Marvene and the other ladies in the quiltin' circle .... we need to meet down to the church house right away fer prayer .... Oak's dun went and told us all that he's got hizself one of them-there watch collections ... I carried him in my belly for nine months and my heart is just broke in hafe.

That's how it's done, Brother Sito. Just gird your loins and DO IT!

OkeefenokeeJoe

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It goes something like this :

OkeefenokeeJoe: Family .... I've gathered you here together to tell you something .... I collect watches, and I have a watch collection. uuuum ... Thank you.
Family Member #1: OMG! (and promptly faints)
Family Member #2: HEATHEN!
Family Member #3: AFTER ALL WE'VE DONE FOR YOU ... YOU'VE KEPT THIS A SECRET FROM US ALL THIS TIME ... I JUST DON'T KNOW WHAT TO THINK!
MamaJoe (on the telephone): Lucille, call Marvene and the other ladies in the quiltin' circle .... we need to meet down to the church right away fer prayer .... Oak's dun told us all he has a watch collection ... I carried him in my belly for nine months and my heart is just broke in hafe.

That's how it's done, Brother Sito.

OkeefenokeeJoe
I am going to try your method in breaking the news to the family. I am currently keeping my watches in secret. I buy watches covertly like CIA mission to Pakistan.

·
Premium Member
2,709 Posts
I find apologizing after the fact is easier than getting permission before the fact.. :wink:

·
Registered
6,839 Posts
Only my wife knows about the true extent of my madness, many others know I like watches and have a few (a bit of an understatement). But as long as the bills get paid and it doesn't impact on our ability to save for and go on holidays, out for meals etc; and as long as I surprise her with her own special gifts and question her (occasional) purchases then it is all good.

And I am definitely in the "it's easier to seek forgiveness rather than permission" camp.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
My wife let's me do it since her obsessions of hair, nails, purses, jewelry, shoes and her own nice collection of watches is way more than I have spent on my watches through the years. Plus bills, savings and children's expenses of college, weddings and vacations are always covered first! She has been right next to me for my most expensive purchases. No one but my wife understands my watch obsession!

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
^I know what you mean mate, just 3 years ago at our 20th anniversary I replaced her engagement and wedding ring with something much more expensive that I could only dream all those years earlier, these were way more than any of my recent watch purchases. I think I can make at least another 5 or 6 purchased before she could cast anything up at me. :T

·
Registered
290 Posts
My wife doesn't know what I spend on my vices (cigars, golf, watches) and I don't know what she spends on hers (jewelery, shoes, bags, stuff). Our finances are seperate, so as long as the bills are paid, all is good. Plus, I haven't bought a watch in a few years.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.