WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know what a grail watch is, but here's the rub.

Folks new to the concept might not get it just yet.

So... I was thinking it might be nice to have a thread where folks knowledgable on the concept of "grails" could share what makes a grail in their own opinions.

This could help folks looking to make purchases understand different factors they should consider prior to the purchase. Might also help shape their goals, ultimately making them happier.

Plus, I know there are many things that go into defining a "grail", and each definition is likely as individual as we all are. Might be nice to collect that thinking in one location.

Now, what does "grail" mean to you when applied to watches??

·
Banned
28,405 Posts
Now, what does "grail" mean to you when applied to watches??
This is my grail watch, achieved after several years of drooling over it and flipping a handful of watches plus kicking in a wad of cash:

Here's the incoming thread with details:

http://www.watchtalkforums.info/forums/general-discussion-forum/26646.htm

There's never been another watch I wanted in the past or want in the present as much as my Malte Grande Classique. I've had a couple temporary crushes on 3 or 4 Breguets and a Roger Dubuis Sympathie but the drive to own isn't as strong.

I know some people think the term "grail" means unobtainable by definition, but I prefer to think of it as a daunting task to acquire your target.

·
Registered
598 Posts
A grail is the object of a quest. Thus, requirement number one is that it is hard to find. A grail may not be simply ordered from an AD for cash on hand. Then, there may be arduous trials - in wresting it from the hands of the evil troll who currently owns it (not referring to anyone here), in sacrificing other goods or comforts to obtain it, in searching out exactly the reference you want, etc. The harder it is to obtain, the more intensely it is desired. Grail status may persist after acquisition, as in Dennis' example above, or it may then transfer to the next target.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts

ARTHUR: Go and tell your master that we have been charged by God
with a sacred quest. If he will give us food and shelter for the
night he can join us in our quest for the Holy Grail.
GUARD: Well, I'll ask him, but I don't think he'll be very keen...
Uh, he's already got one, you see?
ARTHUR: What?
GALAHAD: He says they've already got one!
ARTHUR: Are you sure he's got one?
GUARD: Oh, yes, it's very nice-a [To Other Guards] I told him we already got one.
OTHER GUARDS: [Laughing]
ARTHUR: Well, um, can we come up and have a look?
GUARD: Of course not! You are English types-a!
ARTHUR: Well, what are you then?
GUARD: I'm French! Why do think I have this outrageous accent, you
silly king!
GALAHAD: What are you doing in England?
GUARD: Mind your own business!
ARTHUR: If you will not show us the Grail, we shall take your castle
by force!
GUARD: You don't frighten us, English pig-dogs! Go and boil your
bottoms, sons of a silly person. I blow my nose at you, so-called
Arthur-king, you and all your silly English kaniggets. Thppppt!
GALAHAD: What a strange person.
ARTHUR: Now look here, my good man!
GUARD: I don't want to talk to you no more, you empty headed animal
food trough whopper! I fart in your general direction! You mother
was a hamster and your father smelt of eldeberries.
GALAHAD: Is there someone else up there we could talk to?
GUARD: No, now go away or I shall taunt you a second time-a!

Reactions: Nicko16

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
I don't believe the word can be defined as easily as something that is hard to find and starts the seeker out on a quest to find it.

There are those who carry bank accounts with cash always on hand so for them it is the hunt and I would imagine it is a wonderful position to be in because to reach the "grail" will require knowledge about the brand/model/movement.

Then there are those whose grail is a free watch, the family watch passed from father to son to grandson and so on, the family grail. For me since I was a child I always loved my grandfathers Ultra-Chron so I got the free family grail a year ago.

And then there is another group, those of us who see a special watch and would love to own one but it will require financial sacrifices to be made to achieve it. For me this year it was an Omega Constellation and I got it in July, nothing special about it in Constellation world and for most this watch cost less than they would pay out on a few watch straps. But it required a different type of commitment from me so this year it was a grail.

Who knows maybe 2012 will take "grail" on to a new meaning for me.

Best wishes to all those searching,saving,waiting on their grail.

·
Banned
28,405 Posts
That's what Arthur gets for having Hublot as his grail.
BRIDGEKEEPER: "What is your name?"

KING ARTHUR: "'Tis Arthur, king of the Britons!"

BRIDGEKEEPER: "What is your quest?"

KING ARTHUR: "I seek the Grail!"

BRIDGEKEEPER: "What are the other materials in Hublot's gold?"

"KING ARTHUR: What do you mean? Regular or Magic Gold?"

BRIDGEKEEPER: "Huh? I don't know tha.... AAAAAAHHHHH!!!!"

SIR BEDEVERE: "How do you know so much about Hublot?"

KING ARTHUR: "You have to know these things when you're a king, you know."

·
Premium Member
2,689 Posts
For me, it is THE watch I want most, one that is incredibly rare and difficult to locate, and the one watch that I am willing to sell or trade many/any other nice pieces in my collection to acquire. Because, IF I don't, I may never get another chance to do so!

·
Super Moderator
15,650 Posts
For me, my "grail" is the ultimate object of personal desire, not so much hard to find as it is hard to obtain per my present circumstances. I know exactly where to find it. I simply can't realistically afford it and probably never will.
Anything less than that one piece simply belongs on The Wish List.

·
Registered
656 Posts
I have never seen such a well constructed string of thoughtful responses peppered with hilarity. I'm laughing my ass off! There's something here for everyone, and the only thing I can add is the phrase "Apollo Speedmaster."

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
My grail would be for ulackfocus to quit showing pictures of that VC, every time he does that I have to go get a sponge and wipe the drool from the floor.

My watch grail would be a platinum Accutron. Very few were made and hardly any of those were sold to the public, most were made for Uncle Sam to be given to visiting heads of state as the official gift. I have never seen one for sale.

·
Registered
554 Posts
no grail, more like a decent coffee mug for me.

i've always felt a little wierd about expensive things. i appreciate the beauty of a roger smith or patek chrono, but i would never buy one regardless of my financial circumstance. hell, a used speedmaster or a hamilton meadowbrook are too extravagant for me. i guess my notion of grail is more mundane than some. i've always fancied a nice eternamatic chronometer. unfortunately, several others in the world have developed a similar idea the past few years. i'll get one...someday.

·
Registered
625 Posts
My 'Grail' is anything that makes someone jealous when I buy it :lol: Either for it's rarity or how cheap I managed to find it

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
For me it is the watch that finally satisfies the otherwise insatiable desire for one more watch.

It is the watch that finally says, "I have arrived; this is the one I was looking for all along!"

I believe that I have acquired my personal grail.

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
For me, it is THE watch I want most, one that is incredibly rare and difficult to locate, and the one watch that I am willing to sell or trade many/any other nice pieces in my collection to acquire. Because, IF I don't, I may never get another chance to do so!
^^^This^^^

I am in the process right now of attempting to make a trade for one of my two grails.

·
Registered
45 Posts
to me its a watch that seem unattainable when you first see it. but a time goes by..circumstances change and by working hard (or lots of luck), youre finally able to acquire it.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Ultimately, I think a grail is a watch that, until you acquire it, you obsess on.

My grails are humble things, which few if any other folks appreciate all that much - which is handy when it comes to pay for them! But they're 'collection completers' for me - even if what keeps the collection from completion is the absence of more common, but more widely desired (and thus pricier) watches.

·
Registered
1 Posts
A grail to me is something that of value and hard to achieved

In 1982 I received a watch from a woman that I once loved. She knew how much I wanted the watch but I couldn't afford it, so on my birthday she gave me my "grail watch". I have owned watches that are more expensive than this watch now and the woman who gave it to me have parted ways with me in 1984. It is going to be almost 30 years since I got that watch, and to this day the watch is still ticking.
I have a good collection of watches but the "grail watch" to me is still my favourite. I have asked one of my son to pick any watch in my box from a Tag, Hamilton, Bulova, Gucci and he picked my "grail". My kids never knew the story of this watch because the watch sat in a box for 25 years.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts