WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On Ebay recently I've run across a series of nice looking American watches from the 40's and 50's sporting fantasy redials mostly with bold bright solid colors.
I'm oddly both attracted and repulsed by these watches. I'm curious how others feel about this sort of modification.

I've attached an example: UNIQUE 1959 Green & Yellow BULOVA Mens VINTAGE Watch | eBay

Rectangle Clock Wood Toy Measuring instrument

·
Banned
615 Posts
The most interesting point is if someone can think it now, they probably made it then too.
I know Elgin made that style of dial in white/black.
search long enough, and someone produced it. Try flicking through Edward Fabors book on american wristwatches.
Welcome to the forums

·
Registered
48 Posts
While it doesn't look like the quality is there on this piece I don't mind them for a watch your gonna wear. Had that been mine I'd have had the sub dial yellow for a bit more contrast and shall I say POP. I have a Universal Geneva that has a Pinkish dial and "I" think it looks great. I wear it with a casual summer outfit and it goes great.

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
Is it "Interesting"
Yes.

Would I personally buy it?
No.

It does intrigue me that folks do this stuff
to a watch... if someone buys it for the "novelty"
of it, that is up to them.
From a collectors point of view, there is NO benefit what
so ever.

As long as the seller doesnt try to pass this stuff off as original
to an unsuspecting newbie buyer... it is what it is.

·
Banned
615 Posts
Is it "Interesting"
Yes.

Would I personally buy it?
No.

It does intrigue me that folks do this stuff
to a watch... if someone buys it for the "novelty"
of it, that is up to them.
From a collectors point of view, there is NO benefit what
so ever.

As long as the seller doesnt try to pass this stuff off as original
to an unsuspecting newbie buyer... it is what it is.
Correct - great reply (bow)

·
Super Moderator
16,879 Posts
I'm sorry, but in my world, it's "interesting" the same way that some moron in Las Vegas takes a beautiful Ferrari or DeLorean, chops it in half, and turns it into a stretch limo. Some things just shouldn't be done.
If that's how your creative juices flow, go to the department store and buy a bunch of $9.95 quartz pieces. Leave the vintage stuff alone, please!

Just my opinion.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.