WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
In Europe IWC is one of the leading luxury watch brands, but not so in the USA where Rolex, Breitling and a few other luxury brands have much higher brand awareness and sales.

I am curious how you became aware of and interested in IWC as a watch brand? Was it forums like the WTF, or word of mouth, or advice from AD, or advertising or ????. For me, I was introduced to IWC by a very close Swiss friend who was skiing with me in Zermatt and we spent the evenings looking in all the jewelery stores / watch emporiums in the village.

To me IWC represents the pinnacle of watch making craftsmanship, design and customer relations. IWC's "Probus Scarfusia" says it all to me: Craftsmanship made in Schaffhausen.

Bill

·
Banned
9,135 Posts
I learned about them on a trip to Zurich, and there, IWC seemed to be the watch of choice, and Rolex was thought of as a Timex there. I am sure John and others may disagree; but, IWC was regarded MUCH higher than Rolex. From there, I did some reading, asked around, and used the board.

So far, I am impressed with what I see, and it is one of my top three watches to get next.

·
Registered
20,799 Posts
For me it was on a cruise. The "Shopping Director" (the guy tht gives the daily talks on which shops to shop & discounts & specials) was a real WIS. Of course he & I got along great the whole cruise, talking watches after each of the daily shows and even in a few of the port stores (much to my wifes dismay :biggrin:). He was a fan of IWC (amungst other brands of course) and told me about them. After I saw a few I was hooked!

·
Registered
16,752 Posts
I guess I came across IWC when reading about horological history.
The IWC daVinci Perpetual Calendar Moonphase was as close as I ever came to having a real grail. It was so incredibly complex back in the day (still is).
About two years ago, I had a chance to snag one NIB at a stupid low price. Went to check it out, played with it - and went home empty handed. Didn't like the dial color....

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
I learned about IWC by reading "Cigar Aficionado."

I'm not overly impressed by ultra-expensive watches, but I do like this one:

·
Registered
634 Posts
As I became captivated by watches and did more and more research, IWC kept popping up in reviews, magazines, etc. Pieces like the Portuguese series, and the Ingenieur, really caught my eye. The Portuguese Chrono-Automatic is my current IWC grail.

I've tried a few on, and they look and feel like exceptional quality watches. There is a visceral sense of very high-end craftsmanship when you see and feel one live.

·
Registered
129 Posts
i believe i was reading robb report magazine back in the early 80's and they did a story on the iwc grande complication. wow, talk about complications.

i researched the company, called and asked for a brochure. they sent me their catalog, a small hard bound book, that was a joy to read and i have been hooked on iwc since.

it is my passion to someday own a iwc....in the meantime, i get along daily with my omega smp (blue dial) as well as my fathers 18k sofior w/ a 30 minute chrono and a telemeter scale, for dress up.

·
Premium Member
6,208 Posts
Believe it or not, discovered IWC since joining WTF earlier this year. I love the Laureus, but would hate to imagine what they're worth. Never mind, add it to the wishlist....

·
Banned
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
@Muttley

Surprisingly, the Laureus MSRP is $4700 USD. Within in the IWC line, this is on the lower end.

Good luck with your wish list. You may get what you ask for.

Bill

·
Registered
5,011 Posts
I first learnt about IWC over here in Malaysia because of their very popular Diver. Initially I brush aside IWC as another 'over-hyped, over-priced' brand. In time I got educated and today I consider IWC as one of the most prestigious watch around. IWC have strongly influenced the industry both in their robust tool watches and their high complication watches.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts