WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
I've never seen that band before, I surmise that it had a accutron clasp installed on a non accutron band. The problem with electroplate cases is that they can not be restored without incurring high costs. You didn't miss out by not getting that watch. A stainless steel one would be preferable IMHO.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Actually, the band looks like a tu-tone version of this one:

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

Hmmm... just noticed the guy says it is not the original bracelet.

Thanks for the advice on not getting something that's electroplated -- I am completely new to watch collecting. I am in the market for a spaceview that is at least as old as me (1972). Is there a benefit to solid-gold vs. gold-filled?

OK, how common is this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BULOVA-ACCU...ristwatches&hash=item256efcc635#ht_500wt_1413

My first concern with this one is the monogram -- am I right in thinking it can't be removed?

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
The experts will be along but, in the meantime, I'll put in my 2 cents worth. I have both solid gold Accutrons and gold plated ones and don't see a big benefit to one over the other if you intend to wear it except that I like the warmness of the solid ones.
I don't think that case with the gold bezel is particularly rare. I have one like it but with a Pulsometer dial in it and I think that one is way overpriced.
I would suggest that, before buying, you spend a few pleasant hours going back through this forum paying particular attention to the comments by, in no particular order, Sam2, Accutron, Oliverb, Akkatron, HP2114b and others I can't think of yet because I haven't had enough coffee yet.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've never seen that band before, I surmise that it had a accutron clasp installed on a non accutron band. The problem with electroplate cases is that they can not be restored without incurring high costs. You didn't miss out by not getting that watch. A stainless steel one would be preferable IMHO.
That band is the ORIGINAL band for the 1964 Accutron Astronaut. I know I have one with that band that I was given as a gift in 1965. It is a Kreisler band. Not many or left.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So, were there spaceviews that used that band, or did someone put an Astronaut band on a spaceview?

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
BTW, if you purchase from this seller, please be careful. Examine it carefully and, if it is not what you expected, contact him and return the watch. Prices can be on the high side and details not always accurately described.

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
I have seen a lot of 1964 Astronauts, including the one I own that admittedly does not have the original bracelet, and I have never seen that bracelet before. I hope someone else can weigh in on this.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Whenever you bought an Accutron from an AD you could mix & match as far as bands that he had on hand. It was really the customers preference. I'm not saying it isn't the original band, just that maybe it was put on at the dealer and not Bulova

Reactions: oliverb

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Whenever you bought an Accutron from an AD you could mix & match as far as bands that he had on hand. It was really the customers preference. I'm not saying it isn't the original band, just that maybe it was put on at the dealer and not Bulova
Exactly! It all depends on what you are going for. Some folks want the watch to look exactly like the catalog. Others are satisfied with a "period correct" watch, while others don't care what's up with the parts as long as it looks good and runs well.

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
Good points, I remember that many many people specified Speidel Twist O Flex bands back then. I still like them and have several watches that have them on including a tuning fork Omega on which I'm 99.9% sure the flex band was original.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Good points, I remember that many many people specified Speidel Twist O Flex bands back then. I still like them and have several watches that have them on including a tuning fork Omega on which I'm 99.9% sure the flex band was original.
Yep, my father-in-law selected his 218 GP 25 yr. presentation Accutron and Twist-O-Flex band from a company catalog and that is the way it is still furnished.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
I am suspicious of any band that had spring loaded end links. You just don't see them on 214s as original equipment. There is little question in my mind that they were authentic Bulova Accutron bands but were made as replacements to be sold by Bulova dealers.

If you go to the bottom of the page linked below, you will see an ad showing the correct band for the two 1970 reflector ring Spaceview watches under discussion. http://www.vintageadbrowser.com/search?q=Accutron&page=4

The Asymmetric M6 (160775849525) looks great on the two-tone band but has other problems. Under magnification, the crystal has flaws the are not seen on Bulova made crystals and those hands look like new reproductions. The band however, could very well be original. That style is seen in Bulova advertising on the model "209" dating back to 1964.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
I am suspicious of any band that had spring loaded end links. You just don't see them on 214s as original equipment. There is little question in my mind that they were authentic Bulova Accutron bands but were made as replacements to be sold by Bulova dealers.
I agree. The band on my father-in-laws Accutron does not have spring loaded ends. The spring loaded end bands cause even more lug erosion on GP cases. A GP 214 I have has a Twist-O-Flex band that has ends with notches so you could remove sections to make it fit the lugs of your watch.

·
Registered
128 Posts
The bracelet is not factory original. Sure it could have come like that from new but remember that watchmakers would mix and match as they pleased...
Not attractive in my opinion

·
Registered
128 Posts
Thanks man.. I never left. Just got busy with complications of life. :wink:
The good thing is that I don't need to sell my collection anymore in fact I'll get from ebay accucell batteries for the other 2 watches!
Of course if someone comes along needing a real deal hummer...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts