WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Looks legit. A purchase that large would make me a bit nervous buying over seas. I just bought a watch from Singapore. The seller forgot some kind of form, and now it's held up in Memphis (FedEx) until the seller faxes the form to them. Hopefully just a day or 2 delay. Good luck, nice looking Seamaster.

·
Registered
706 Posts
I once bought a new Ball Hydrocarbon GMT from a guy in Hong Kong before they were available in the US. He had good references so I did it and had no problems. Just make sure the seller is legit.

·
Premium Member
2,632 Posts
The only one I would buy from would be the guy whose name begins with 'S'. This seller started popping up around the same time the other prominent Japanese seller whose name begins with 'Y' started selling less. Just sayin'...

·
Registered
3,680 Posts
I think if the seller has great feed back and perhaps Paypal was used, for the buyer protection, it should be all good. Just check out relevant taxes and import duties if any in your country and know how the item is locally.

Cheers

·
Registered
16 Posts
I did a lot of purchases from Japan. Sellers are good but the Japanese postal services isn't that fast.

As for Israeli purchases. Check from where in Israel they are sending. Don't buy from the Gaza line or outlands.

·
Super Moderator
16,575 Posts
The price tag is everything. The higher the price tag is, the less likely I'll be to spend outside the U.S. And if I don't have a good recommendation from someone I'm familiar with, there's no way I'll let more than $500 go overseas.

·
Registered
774 Posts
i bought both of my X-33s on eBay from japan. they were/are both mint in box with papers. i even had a guy in japan send me a link for my LE (limited edition) yellow dial seiko samurai FOC (free of charge)!!!

so far only italy is on my black list after a defective dial (missing foot) went walk-about on being returned and the seller, eBay and royal mail all walked away from the problem, leaving me £150 down the drain.

·
Registered
20,788 Posts
I've bought and sold from people in many countries, without any issue. As always buy the seller, not the watch, and you should be OK. Don't be afraid to ask for references, then contact those references. Do your diligence, just like any other sale, and you will minimize your risk of a bad deal. If the deal looks too good, it probably is. I'd prefer to use PayPal, but be aware some countries are limited by PayPal on how much the transaction can be. So if the seller tells you you can't use PayPal because of PayPal's rules, don't assume they're feeding you a line because there is truth to that. And PayPal's guarantee is not the same out of the US as it is in the US. So don't assume PayPal will give you the same protection. Most of my international sells / buys over $1K have been by wire transfer. Again, if you're buying the seller this should not be a concern. Be patient once shipped. Unless you're paying for expedited delivery (which is a fortune!) it can be 2 weeks for delivery.

And like Aaron said, factor in the taxes / import cost when making your decision. If you're in the US it's about 4% of the purchase price and the delivery man (USPS, UPS, FedEx, etc.) will collect it from you upon delivery (in the US).

Good luck! It's a great looking watch!!

·
Registered
647 Posts
I have been buying from ebay for a while Now, and I all i have to say is ask alto of questions, and paypal will accept those emails from the seller if he sais one thing and the watch is diffrent, had to use the buyers email replies twice now and thats they only way i got my money back.

·
Super Moderator
16,575 Posts
but plenty of fakes make it thru the system and get sold
You can say that again! On three separate occasions, months and months apart, I've seen TISSOT2 PRS-200's being offered. And no, that was not a mis-print on my part. A close look at the dial shows a small two right after the second T in TISSOT...sort of like "Tissot-squared". They were being distributed from China. And none of them offered photographs of the movement either! I asked for movement pics, and all my emails went unanswered.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Don't count on eBay to protect you from a shoddy sale.
ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS ... use your credit card. NEVER, NEVER, NEVER ... use your bank account directly to pay for anything on eBay. your credit card company is by far your best protection as they are duty bound to ensure that you get the goods and services you buy using their credit (in fact it isn't you that buys it, it's them). i've had to lever money out of PayPal on more than one occasion using my credit card company.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Gorgeous watch. Stunning! Anyway - personally, I'd recommend doing your research, find out what signs and symptoms a fake might have - sometimes there'll be a batch of BS ones from a particular maker and they're all around the interwebs gaining credit for something especially shoddy - try to find out what that may be (sorry, that's a lot of research really). I wish I could be more helpful! I second no self control's comments on using your credit card - plus, an Omega Seamaster purchase will probably help you get quite a few FF miles!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Buying from overseas

Now this guy has a great rating but it still makes me a bit uneasy with such a large purchase.

New Omega Seamaster Watch Mens Large Auto Sapphire Co Axial 300M Chronometer | eBay

Dear Watch Fans, This post made me realize how "protected" you in the USA (I assume) are. You feel unsure about making purchases from "overseas". I now also realize why there was such a poor response to really excellent watches that I have previously tried to sell on eBay. I have bought ALL of my 22 watches and ALL of my straps, clasps etc and have had a great deal of refurbishing done outside of South Africa, simply because there is no market in South Africa. What I do is to only deal with sellers that have a rating of more than 99.5%. If the rating is lower than 100% I check the feedback to see why the rating is lower than 100%. Only once has a parcel not reached me. I bought a strap from a USA seller and the parcel went missing while still in the USA. What you should make sure of is that you use a secure shipping service. I have discovered that certain brands are significantly cheaper in certain parts of the world than in others, e.g. Rolex in Italy. It therefore makes sense to spread your wings. All of the best to you all. Chronoman.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.