Mercedes

Morning Glory (Open)

Paddle

Pear

Pencil

Plongeur

Pointed Sports

Spade

Squelette / Skeleton..................................* skeleton can be almost any style as long as they are hollow

Skeleton (Fancy Cathedral)

Stick (Fils)

Sword

Umbrella

Windmill

Some manufacturers had their own names for hand styles shown in this post. For example, here's a page from a Hamilton book:

What they call "Open Diamond" has been identified in other publications as "Cathedral".

Thanks to WatchFan1, RICHARD13, scottw44, G.J., HamiltonIllinois, river rat, Paul Delury, eaea, Wisconsin Proud, Ben_hutcherson, maverick, Scott D, pz93c, Flyskate, MikeyT, bbuckis, GLADIATOR, mrpinter, Dr. Ranfft, BrentB, LouS, and Donut for their help!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

·
Banned
28,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
As you can see, this is a work in progress. I decided to post it and we'll edit it as new styles are brought up. There are some at the bottom that I'm not sure of the name so any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Great resorce...very good.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
You might coin the Voutilainen ...

as "Ultra Breguet" or "Mega Breguet". Great compendium, this just confirms my disgust for "Mercedes" hands. Uggghhh.

Reactions: rogernola

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
I appreciate this compendium. Excellent work. I think there may be a typo in the caption of No. 13. Shouldn't that be Louis XVI rather than Louis VXI?

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Great info! Until I started looking at vintage watches I never really gave much thought to the style of the hands, as long as they didn't detract from the look of the watch. Now that I've seen some like the Breguet, Lance, Cathedral, morning Glory, and Skeleton they play much more of a role in my decision about a watch.

Although depending on the pattern of the face, a simpler style like the baton, pear, leaf, Dauphine or Alpha are so much more fitting.

To be honest, I don't think that I could tell you offhand what kind of hands are on any of my watches. I can say that they all have hand styles that go very well with the faces.

There are a few I don't care for on their own, but when I look at the watch face as a whole, they look "right", like the broad arrow, round baton, mercedes, pencil, windmill, or pointed sports. When I looked at JUST those hands, I didn't like them at all. Then I looked at the overall watch and they suddenly looked good.

I guess the good watch designers really do know their stuff...

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Great thread Dennis!:thumbup1:

The first vintage watch I ever bought was this Hamilton/Illinois automatic.

The watch is very minty and runs beautifully and it has a power reserve meter on it which I love. The problem, if it really is a problem, is the hands. Not knowing much about vintage watches when I bought this, I didn't realise the hands weren't the proper type for this watch. The "cathedral" hands are from an earlier period than this watch, which is from the late 50's.

I think I need to go with "dauphine" hands. What do you guys think?

·
Banned
3,656 Posts
Great info
I think Brequet called that style 'Ponti'
He believed white dial + blue steel hands with a small ring near the tip, it was best clarity for watching(reading) the time.

And I believe he termed them 'pomme'

Great tutorials
thanks

·
Banned
28,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Dennis can you put "Fils" next to "stick". That is an alternate "proper" name for them.
Done. Thanks!

where are the "skeleton" sword hands?
Next to the skeleton pic I mentioned that skeleton hands can be any shape as long as they're hollow. I did have a shot of an Omega with skeleton sword hands but thought it wouldn't be necessary to include one shot of all the possible skeleton styles - too many pictures.

·
Registered
3,613 Posts
This was a common hand shape on Hamilton automatics but I don't know how to describe it.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts