WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I used to ride years ago, dirt bikes as a kid then road bikes for a couple of years. My last bike was a Kawasaki GPZ many years ago. I Have always wanted to get back into bikes, and am starting to lay the groundwork at home to make it happen.

Because I haven't ridden for a long time I don't want to jump up into anything too big, too powerful or too twitchy. And I don't really know how I will actually use it, I know I would like to use it as a commuter a few times per week, get out for a ride on weekends regularly, and maybe do a trip or two a year on it.

As I don't know how I will use it it is hard to know which one to actually get, but I have narrowed it down a little. I am thinking of a sports tourer, one I can ride every day and it fun, but also built to do distance on, and a fun sports bike, not too aggressive. I have a bit of a soft spot for BMW, so 2 models are on my list there, the F800ST as a sports tourer, and F800R as a naked fun sports bike. I also like the looks of the Aprilia Shiver 750, and being a V-twin it has a nicer sound to it.

Now I just need to get a few test rides under my belt to figure which I like the most, and then get sign off from the better half.

Some pics:

BMW F800ST

BMW F800R

Aprilia Shiver Sports 750

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Those BMWs are popular here in USA, I see lots of them...my ZX9r is probably considered a sport touring bike these days. The new race bikes are ridiculously fast, less comfortable riding position...12 yrs ago the ZX9r was MEAN......Harley Davidson is widely popular in USA for touring, comfortable, plenty of storage space, radio etc etc.......I paid $9,975.0 cash for that green motorcycle 12 years ago, no payments!!!.....since then I've spent the cost of the bike maintaining it with tires and chains and oil changes, it's been a very reliable motorcycle that I use for exact purposes you have identified. ..I can put close to 1,000.0 miles on the green bike in three days and don't want to stop, it's just that much fun -adrenaline rush!!! . To aquire the Harley I worked two jobs for three years to pay be able to pay $30k cash for it. I'm no where close to spending that much for maintenance on it yet. Im not saying it's more reliable it's just that $30k is alot of tires and oil changes.... I wanna add a third bike to my choices - I want a "touring" Harley, what we call a bagger. Wife has given me permission IF I get rid of one of current ones . So were at a stalemate because I don't want to lose the enjoyment from either, I just want to add a long distance bagger to the mix

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
My little brother recently got his bagger, sold his ZX9r, his metric cruiser (Honda) is for sale also. I know it's not a BMW - its a Harley Davidson Electra Glide
. I'm debating on customizing a bagger similar to the orange Harley in background
. Get the large 30" front wheel
. Air ride suspension

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
We have begun planning this weekends trip to Cumberland Lake again. My buddy Chris owns a house there. Here we were last month at the marina, I strap a sportbike tail bag to my passenger seat, what doesn't fit in it gets strapped to handle bars
. Another view of my storage - I need a bagger!!

·
Registered
6,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Love your Harley Lime! But not in teh budget for now, especially not as a (re-)started bike. Maybe one day. So by bagger I guess you mean one with lots of "bags" on it? Like a gold wing etc? those big harleys look good.

BTW all, there were meant to be 3 pics up there - when I looked only 2 came through so I fixed the pic of the BMW F800R - so just check again if you had already read that first post.

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
Good move Wombat ! As to how you'll use it, don't you think you'll end up using like you currently use a car?
My bike is my primary transportation in the summer, I put more miles on it than I do all 4 of my cars together. If my wife's formerly broken hip was up to longer rides, I'd probably just put a couple of the cars in storage for the summer.
Rain isn't much of a factor if I'm going far enough to bother to suit up. All that's needed is a good rain suit.
Your only question is going to be why you didn't do it sooner.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Yes a bagger has saddle bags - not lots of bags, just two saddle bags... I still like the first bike that you have pictured. Seems like the naked bikes around these parts is just some kids wrecked sportbike that he stripped all the busted stuff off of. . Not my style. ..... Again I need to mention maintenance cost of the future arrival.....I replaced front brake pads on my Harley today - did the work myself, yet the parts still cost $50.00 - just something to think about. In USA every large city has at least one Harley dealership with trained techs to repair your bike if broken.... If I can't fix myself, I'm positive I can get it fixed anywhere I happen to be. . . . I personally would decide against BMW just for that reason, if I can't fix it where do I have to go to get it fixed at? ..... Here in USA if ya don't like mechanics at this dealership theres another dealership with in less than hour distance........and thanks for the compliments

·
Banned
28,291 Posts
Lime - that Honda might be a good choice for Craig to get reacquainted with cycles. It's a CBT, right? Owned one of them 25 years ago - very predictable and easily handled unlike some cycles. Wouldn't mind tracking down an original Magna either, but this time I'd like a V45 instead of the smaller one I had after the CB200T,

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Been riding for about 45 years. Over the years I have owned about 20 bikes, all different types and my last 5 have been Harley's. Nothing wrong with the others but for resale you can't go wrong with HD. If you are a small guy you could start out with a Sportster and work up. They are very reasonably priced.

·
Registered
6,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Lime, I hear what you're saying about ongoing costs. I checked out insurance and the Aprilia was over double the 2 BMWs and the equivalent Ducati!! :scared:

I had a look at a Honda VFR800 yesterday, they are nice looking bikes that seem to be well regarded.

But, got a very form negative vibe from my wife last night. She is, quite reasonably, concerned about finances, especially since we are building a house at the moment. And I haven't helped the cause with a spate of incomings either. :blushing: I just need to keep up the groundwork and redo the finances to see when it can happen, but maybe will need to postpone until next year when we are in the house.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
I had similar issue before I had bought first motorcycle years ago, I finally quit discussing it with my wife. . . Anyway here's the house I had built for my family in 1998
. Our triplets were born June 6th 1997, she was stay at home mommy for a bunch of years. I designed and built my bike barn in 5 days, complete with concrete and steel overhead door
. I think the barn matches my house pretty good?
. Here's a recent pic of our backyard with our tree showing off its fall colors
......I like tell all jealous co workers - motorcycling is a lifestyle to me. I live for riding, I don't waste money going to movies or sporting events (unless free tickets) - my priorities are to keep my bikes in running order so that I can enjoy what pleases me the most in life - which is riding motorcycles.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
And I'm sorry Ulackfocus, I'm not familiar with Hondas. Don't know? ... Anyway let's see more pictures. I've been out searching for covered bridges lately, like this one on Monday 6-4-12
. On my way to another bridge search I came across a bad automobile accident, they careflightef the driver away
. I hope the driver is ok....

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
So finally after leaving the crash site I found another giant covered bridge 224ft long
. This the most impressive bridge I've seen so far! Built in 1860
. Then on Wednesday 6-6-12 I took the race bike out for some curvy excitement
. Thursday 6-7-12 I was out in search of more bridges
. My favorite local waterfall
. Ended touring at Bears Mill - a historical working grain mill originally built 1849
. And I got in to work tonight before any of my co workers and got the coveted first parking spot HA !
..... 13 hours from now me and a buddy are leaving for the weekend, a 700 mile round trip motorcycle ride.... I still gotta pack. Ugh..... I wouldn't be doing all this exploring in my fuel hungry automobile, but with the motorcycles, I can adventure!!!

·
Registered
209 Posts
I have been riding since 1968 and have had over the years:
1973 Honda 350 4-cylinder
1995 Suzuki Intruder 1400
1997 Honda Valkyrie Tourer
1980(?)Hona 400 twin
1982 Yamaha Maxim( a real POS)
1983 Honda CB1000 w/Vetter fairing and hard luggage
2006 Sportster 883
2003 Road King(cop bike)
2008 Road Glide
2011 Road Glide Ultra(my retirement bike-probably the last one I will have)

I only put up that list to show that I have owned motorcycles of most sizes and states of power.If you have been off motorcycles for a while,start with something cheaper and smaller,then move up if you feel the need.I often recomend the Honda Nighthawk 750(a developed version of the CB750),as it is inexpensive,easy to master,and has plenty of power for touring.I don't know how the market is in your area,but these bikes are quite affordable here,and operating and maintenance costs are low.
Whatever you decide to buy,start easy and practice often.If MSF courses are available in your area,take them.They really are worth the time and money spent.
Ride safe....
Clark

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I've had a few bikes in my life, A Honda CB450, A Suzuki GS750E, a Harley XLCR Cafe Racer (very rare!!!), a Triumph TR6 Tiger, a 1200 Sporty, a Honda CBR929RR, and my current ride, a 87 Standard Softail. BTW, stop talking about bikes!!! Took the Softail to my buddy's house to change the primary lube and found a big cut on the drive belt. Can't get if fixed for several weeks :cursing::sad:

·
Registered
6,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks guys. I'm keeping up the soft sell at home - pictures and brochures around the place etc. I think I have decided that I would like the BMW F800R to start, I like the brand and the looks and it's not too crazy powerful or twitch for me to jump back on after a long break. I would like to do a course and will be looking into those too.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.