WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Always a subject to get people hot under the collar, but why? Nearly everything we own in some way or another takes inspiration from another product, so why do watch enthusiasts get excited and in some cases annoyed about homage watches? What is even stranger is that some watch enthusiasts are forgiving of some manufacturers such as Seiko, Bulova, and Orient, when they homage watches, but infuriated when Chinese brands do it. At this point I should mention I am NOT talking about fakes. As far as I am concerned, it is a homage when the watch doesn't bear the name of another manufacturer, and can't be passed off for something it isn't.

Of course, it isn't black and white. Technically a Rolex Subby is a homage of Blancpain 50 Fathoms, but conveniently that is always overlooked. It could even be argued that any three handed watch is a homage of the very first three handed watch (what ever that was). Many enthusiasts use the argument "why use an existing design when a manufacturer can create their own". The answer is simple, there is a massive market for these watches, and the manufacturers aren't breaking any laws. I believe luxury watch brands love homages, after all, it's free advertising, and people who spend $150 on a watch aren't the same people who would spend $15k on one.

For what it is worth, I will only wear a homage of a very old design. I currently own a Steinhart vintage Explorer, as the watch it homages hasn't been produced for the best part of fifty years, and a decent used one would cost about $250,000. So. where do you stand on it?

·
Registered
3,680 Posts
Always a subject to get people hot under the collar, but why? Nearly everything we own in some way or another takes inspiration from another product, so why do watch enthusiasts get excited and in some cases annoyed about homage watches? What is even stranger is that some watch enthusiasts are forgiving of some manufacturers such as Seiko, Bulova, and Orient, when they homage watches, but infuriated when Chinese brands do it. At this point I should mention I am NOT talking about fakes. As far as I am concerned, it is a homage when the watch doesn't bear the name of another manufacturer, and can't be passed off for something it isn't.

Of course, it isn't black and white. Technically a Rolex Subby is a homage of Blancpain 50 Fathoms, but conveniently that is always overlooked. It could even be argued that any three handed watch is a homage of the very first three handed watch (what ever that was). Many enthusiasts use the argument "why use an existing design when a manufacturer can create their own". The answer is simple, there is a massive market for these watches, and the manufacturers aren't breaking any laws. I believe luxury watch brands love homages, after all, it's free advertising, and people who spend $150 on a watch aren't the same people who would spend $15k on one.

For what it is worth, I will only wear a homage of a very old design. I currently own a Steinhart vintage Explorer, as the watch it homages hasn't been produced for the best part of fifty years, and a decent used one would cost about $250,000. So. where do you stand on it?
I agree with everything you said. Round dial watches with long minutes hands, shorter hours hands and thing seconds hands are homages of some original design. If a watch says Nolex on the dial, it’s a FAKE!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,702 Posts

“Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery that mediocrity can pay to greatness.”
Jaw Ear Gesture Finger Gadget

·
Administrator
6,880 Posts
Just a reminder from the WTF Rules of Forum Conduct:

• 11. A COMMON DISCUSSION ON WTF - Fakes vs. Re-Issues vs. Homages
  • Watch enthusiasts tend to have different opinions on what these terms mean and which watch brands and/or models fall into each of the categories. To help provide a consistent & people-friendly format and reduce confusion when we discuss or talk about homages, re-issues & fakes, we've come up with a "Watch Talk Forum Definition" for these 3 terms. They are:
  • Replica, fake or counterfeit:
  • An exact copy of a watch, including the name of the copied brand. It's made by another company and meant to deceive people (but not always the buyer) into believing it is the copied brand's watch or falsely presents itself as the copied brand, usually a much higher priced watch. These are illegal products, with many of them being made & distributed by criminal organizations. These are not condoned by Watch Talk Forums and should not be posted or positively discussed on Watch Talk Forums. See Section 7 for more information on WTF’s policy on fakes.
  • Re-Issue:
  • A re-make or re-release of another earlier version or model by the same brand. Possibly a new release celebrating an older vintage model by that brand. A re-issue is made by the company who released the original version, and has the legal right to the brand and model name. Examples of re-issued models are Jaeger-LeCoultre Memovox, Longines Flagship, Longines Lindberg, and Hamilton Ventura, just to name a few examples.
  • Homage:
  • A watch made by a brand to look very similar, sometimes exactly like, another brand's model, but without using the original brand's name. The homage is not intended to be actually sold as the copied brand (as a fake is). A homage will bear the brand name making it, NOT the brand it's made to look like. Examples of homage brands are Alpha, Parnis and Marina Militare.
  • Please keep in mind, we are not telling or trying to convince anyone to change their personal opinion on what you believe these words mean or describe. We're only asking everyone, regardless of what you personally believe, to please use the terms and definitions as defined above when discussing these topics on Watch Talk Forums. Again, this is just to help create consistency in the discussions & reduce confusion, debates and tempers based on definition alone.

·
Registered
191 Posts
It feels racist a lot of the time, people say nothing about a Steinhart submariner, but if it's a Chinese submariner they will talk about it being a nasty virtual fake. Or any Chinese bauhaus watch of a particular style is a fake Nomas, ripping off their design, their hard work etc. (The Nomos who used the name of the original Nomos company and copied the 1920s design of Lange and other companies of the time and later)

Here are some vintage Longines, maybe they used a time machine to the future to copy Nomos.
Watch Analog watch Clock Quartz clock Measuring instrument

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Clock Measuring instrument

·
Super Moderator
16,451 Posts
First, it seems to me the only people who get worked up over homages are those looking to pick a fight or cause trouble. I'm happy to say that WTF members who felt this way were shown the exit a long time ago,
Homages don't bother me in the least. I had a very nice 1970 quartz Elgin that looked very much like a Rolex Day/Date (two-tone, of course) that disappeared once the folding clasp got bent out of shape. My Invicta Pro Diver is a Submariner look-alike that I'm quite happy with. I'm sure there were others, but they escape my feeble memory right now.

Secondly, my advice to those who disparage the wearing of Chinese homage watches: Suck it up and get used to it- they're not going away any time soon!

Third, I'm really fuzzy on how homages can be considered "free advertising if no copied company logo or name brand is involved! If little david says "Ooh look- my five dollar white plastic watch looks just like a Chanel J-12 white ceramic automatic!", how does that benefit Chanel in any substantial way? Chanel certainly gains no commercial advantage!

To make a long story short, they don't bother me, Shoot. Half the time I don't even realize which watch
(and yes, that was intentional) is being honored! Up to this point, I had never even HEARD OF the Steinhart Explorer, let alone be able to recognize one on sight! (hint, hint, hint) ;)

·
Registered
191 Posts
Homages can be like a test drive, i'm sure I wouldn't have bought my Panerai if I hadn't owned several homages before it.
Everyone manufacturing watches must know about copyright of designs when they set out to be a manufacturer, and that they will eventually run out and anyone can use the design.

·
Banned
3 Posts
First, it seems to me the only people who get worked up over homages are those looking to pick a fight or cause trouble. I'm happy to say that WTF members who felt this way were shown the exit a long time ago,
Homages don't bother me in the least. I had a very nice 1970 quartz Elgin that looked very much like a Rolex Day/Date (two-tone, of course) that disappeared once the folding clasp got bent out of shape. My Invicta Pro Diver is a Submariner look-alike that I'm quite happy with. I'm sure there were others, but they escape my feeble memory right now.

Secondly, my advice to those who disparage the wearing of Chinese homage watches: Suck it up and get used to it- they're not going away any time soon!

Third, I'm really fuzzy on how homages can be considered "free advertising if no copied company logo or name brand is involved! If little david says "Ooh look- my five dollar white plastic watch looks just like a Chanel J-12 white ceramic automatic!", how does that benefit Chanel in any substantial way? Chanel certainly gains no commercial advantage!

To make a long story short, they don't bother me, Shoot. Half the time I don't even realize which watch
(and yes, that was intentional) is being honored! Up to this point, I had never even HEARD OF the Steinhart Explorer, let alone be able to recognize one on sight! (hint, hint, hint) ;)
Here you are then
Watch Analog watch Clock Everyday carry Rectangle
Watch Analog watch Rectangle Clock Everyday carry
Watch Tableware Analog watch Coffee cup Dishware

1 - 8 of 8 Posts