WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone who has seen the movie Argo (best picture Oscar this year) probably doesn't even remember one line in the film, where Bryan Cranston says to Ben Affleck "the Brits turned them away, the Kiwis turned them away, the Canadians took them in..."

The Kiwis risked their lives to help drive the hostages to the airport. Why the movie producers decided to change this to 'the Kiwis turned them away' is beyond me - perhaps it just didn't fit well with they way they wanted to tell the story.
Sorry for the rant, but no one likes to be portrayed as the bad guys when it's patently not true :blushing:

Enjoy the movie.

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
I very rarely go to the movies for reasons like this, they are geared to the ignorant and appeal to about a 12 year old intellect. TV is the same. I didn't see Argo and don't intend to see it nor will I be seeing Lincoln for the same reason(s). I refuse to encourage insults to my intelligence.

·
Super Moderator
16,574 Posts
:glare: Real history is usually bad for the bottom line.
I'm sure the surviving members of the von Trapp family would be among the first to agree with you. Their escape from Austria was nowhere near as dramatic as in The Sound of Music.Rather than a dangerous night trek across the Alps into Switzerland, the Baron von Trapp simply packed his family onto a train and, in broad daylight, calmly relocated them to Italy. (Georg von Trapp was born in Zara, Kingdom of Dalmatia, which belonged to Italy. Technically that made von Trapp an Italian citizen.)

Ya gotta love Hollywood writers! :glare:

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
I think it is always very good for everyone to doubt anything they see on TV or the movies. News is the same way. It is always slanted and distorted. An educated person should realize this. Just because some serious-looking jackass on CBS says something about Korea does not make it true. The real truth is always more complex and usually top secret.

DON'T BELIEVE THE BOX!!

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
There is an awful lot of B.S. in Argo. It's still a good movie and very entertaining. Just don't think of it as a history lesson!

For the record, the "Kiwi's" have stood shoulder-to-shoulder with us many times. I am very grateful for their friendship and support!

·
Banned
28,291 Posts
Know what kind of factual errors are fun to pick out in movies? Anachronisms. Love it when I spot a Roman soldier wearing Reeboks or an actor wearing a modern watch in a movie based in the 60's or 70's.

In 'Running Scared' a white Ford Mustang II gets hit by a limo only to see a different white vehicle of approximately the same size in the very next shot from a slightly different angle (or vice versa - I'd have to watch it again to be sure).

·
Registered
185 Posts
Ever see the rock opera film "Jesus Christ Superstar" 1973? There were many intentionally featured anachronisms.
Like in one scene there was a jet air liner off in the distance zooming across the sky.
I'd be interested to see a list of all the anachronisms in that film.

·
Registered
5,010 Posts
I guess it is no surprise here. There are few other movies where it didnt happen the way they tell it. Bravo Two Zero (SAS community and Iraqis dispute the story), Dark Zero Gravity (ST6 members claims the raid on Osama did not happen like in the movie), Blackhawk Down (Malaysian UN peacekeepers were involved in the rescue with significant casualties but the movie left that out) are some other examples.

·
Premium Member
6,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Zero Dark Thirty :001_smile:. But yes, there is a point where artistic licence can't be used as an excuse for poor research, laziness or just bad movie making. I do accept that often you can't tell all of the story, or you have to bend things a bit to make the story interesting enough to sell movie tickets. And at the end of the day, Hollywood is not there to make documentaries, just entertainment. Sadly, a lot of people believe what they see, especially if the movie is 'based on a true story.'

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.