WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm Rob, I did post a little under the Omega section of the old forum, I was looking at getting a SMP for my 21st. However finances have taken a rare turn for the better and...

Yesterday I took the plunge and put a deposit on my first Rolex. The last fortnight has been a rollercoaster while I studied the catalogue, spent all my lunch breaks at my AD, and scoured this forum and John's website trying to make a decision between the Sub, Sub LV, Sea-Dweller and GMT Master II.

This is where the thankyou comes in! Without me even posting, you guys have answered every question I've had, and a lot I'd never even have thought of! The wealth of knowledge you guys have here is phenomenal. Also thankyou to John for his excellent website, with in-depth reviews of all my contenders!

So, your probably wondering which I went for! Not an easy choice, but I was lucky enough to be able to see them all side by side and try them all at my AD. Admittedly the LV was the managers own and the GMT was sold but awaiting collection but it was still a nice position to be in.

In the end, after much indecision and confusion there was clarity: my first rolex will be a SS GMT II! That beautiful ceramic bezel won me over, along with the maxi dial and oysterlock clasp. Now I just have to try and contain myself until January!!

In the meantime I'm hoping to stave off impatience by continuing to enjoy this forum. Theres also an Invicta 9937ri (again thanks to john and his website for introducing me to the world of Invicta) winging its way to me atm, for those occassions when I don't want £3k on my wrist!! Hopefully that should keep me occupied until d-day... or is that r-day! Also I can hopefully practice my (currently rather woeful) photography skills on the 9937 so that when i get my Master II i can show you guys some decent pics of it!!

Rob

·
Banned
9,135 Posts
CONGRATS ON YOUR NEW PURCHASE AND ENJOY THE WAIT UNTIL JANUARY!!! That's half the fun! :)

Glad we could help out. Please post pics when your watch arrives!!!!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks timefinder, I'm not convinced about waiting being half the fun tho! seems more like torture to me! Although I'm sure it will be worth the wait! You've got a promise on those pics, I wont be able to stop myself from showing it to everyone I know, I think my family are already sick to the back teeth hearing rolex this rolex that so I'll need somewhere where my pride and joy will be appreciated!

·
Registered
121 Posts
I will never forget that feeling of getting my first Rolex and putting it on!!

Glad you went GMT!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
5% off. they weren't willing to budge all that much from the rrp with it being a new model and the current demand. I could have had 10% off an LV because they had 3 coming in and only one buyer. Another AD offered me 10% off the GMT but the AD i bought from has an excellent reputation, is a local firm thats been in business since the 19th century and is literally across the road from my work so I felt that was worth paying a little more for.

·
Banned
9,135 Posts
5% off. they weren't willing to budge all that much from the rrp with it being a new model and the current demand. I could have had 10% off an LV because they had 3 coming in and only one buyer. Another AD offered me 10% off the GMT but the AD i bought from has an excellent reputation, is a local firm thats been in business since the 19th century and is literally across the road from my work so I felt that was worth paying a little more for.
Rob: I agree, and I am sure everyone else here would say the same thing. Reputation is key, and well worth the extra few dollars.

BTW, I am surprised to hear of the discount on the LV. At one time, they were not discounted at all, no more than MSRP; but, no discount either.

·
Registered
45 Posts
They gave you a fair price, at least they didn't try and BS you, good luck with your purchase, here is a pic I took of mine with my LV:

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
from what my AD said since it became clear that the LV wasn't going away any time soon sales have slowed down quite a bit leaving more LVs about than buyers.

great pic Adam, would love to own the LV aswell (ah well always good to have something to aim for!!)

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
rob,

i think the new gmt's are the perfect modern rolex and has addressed all the issues of the past.

well done and enjoy. hope to see pics of it soon.

best,

cl

picture of my pepsi gmt with daytona bracelet.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
cheers guys, and some great pics. I have to say when I looked at and handled the GMT it just felt a generation on from the subs and the sd. They are all fantastic watches but just little things, like the fact that the clasp on my £80 quartz looks more substantial than the subs, or the way that ceramic bezel with the platinum inlay catches the light were what helped me decide.

Will rolex will work through the rest of the professional range, giving them ceramic bezels and better clasps etc. or would that be messing with the classic formula too much?

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
cheers guys, and some great pics. I have to say when I looked at and handled the GMT it just felt a generation on from the subs and the sd. They are all fantastic watches but just little things, like the fact that the clasp on my £80 quartz looks more substantial than the subs, or the way that ceramic bezel with the platinum inlay catches the light were what helped me decide.

Will rolex will work through the rest of the professional range, giving them ceramic bezels and better clasps etc. or would that be messing with the classic formula too much?
Of course only Rolex knows when any changes will happen, but I would think the changes we are seeing will make their way to other references. The 16610 is an old reference-even by Rolex standards.

Time will tell.......

·
Premium Member
24,995 Posts
Hi,

I'm Rob, I did post a little under the Omega section of the old forum, I was looking at getting a SMP for my 21st. However finances have taken a rare turn for the better and...

Yesterday I took the plunge and put a deposit on my first Rolex. The last fortnight has been a rollercoaster while I studied the catalogue, spent all my lunch breaks at my AD, and scoured this forum and John's website trying to make a decision between the Sub, Sub LV, Sea-Dweller and GMT Master II.

This is where the thankyou comes in! Without me even posting, you guys have answered every question I've had, and a lot I'd never even have thought of! The wealth of knowledge you guys have here is phenomenal. Also thankyou to John for his excellent website, with in-depth reviews of all my contenders!

So, your probably wondering which I went for! Not an easy choice, but I was lucky enough to be able to see them all side by side and try them all at my AD. Admittedly the LV was the managers own and the GMT was sold but awaiting collection but it was still a nice position to be in.

In the end, after much indecision and confusion there was clarity: my first rolex will be a SS GMT II! That beautiful ceramic bezel won me over, along with the maxi dial and oysterlock clasp. Now I just have to try and contain myself until January!!

In the meantime I'm hoping to stave off impatience by continuing to enjoy this forum. Theres also an Invicta 9937ri (again thanks to john and his website for introducing me to the world of Invicta) winging its way to me atm, for those occassions when I don't want £3k on my wrist!! Hopefully that should keep me occupied until d-day... or is that r-day! Also I can hopefully practice my (currently rather woeful) photography skills on the 9937 so that when i get my Master II i can show you guys some decent pics of it!!

Rob
Rob - the avatar pick gave it away for me. :laugh:

Congrats! I'm glad my work was of help to you. :001_smile:

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
:laugh: hadn't thought of that! Ah well I suppose thats why your writing the articles and I'm reading them!!

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Congrats! I'm very glad to have this piece too as it represents so much new technology for Rolex!!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hi I'm in Harrogate, North Yorks and I used A. Fattorinis of Harrogate

·
Registered
118 Posts
Congratulations Rob, I was in the same predicament as you in September this year and opted for the SD. I just loved the simple yet heavy build.

My AD is based in Preston Lancs and was very helpfull

The GMT II will be next Rolex.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts