WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Could you please help me ID a watch that I recently purchased. It is a 1940-50's vintage ladies watch; an estate piece. 14k band, case, clasp. BLANPAIN (no "c") is written at the top of the face. ST.GEO 14K is engraved on the underside of the clasp. The watch has 5 full diamonds placed in a triangular pattern emanating from the watch face onto the band on each side and 18 diamonds (not chips) surrounding the face. I brought the watch to a certified appraiser who told me that the diamonds are all very good quality.

Any information regarding this watch maker would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

·
Banned
18,140 Posts
Hello Helen

A warm welcome to WTF.

I'm sure the more knowledgeable among us would be very happy to help. I'm sure there are some vintage experts here. That said however, I also think it may help if you could post a picture or two of the watch. Nothing like seeing it if you follow my rationale.

Here's a suggestion on picture posting which may help.

Posting pictures is very easy. Here's what you do -

1. Register with a picture host like photobucket.com
This is a free service for up to 1,000 images.

2. Once registered, use the choose or browse function on your photobucket homepage to locate the image you wish to post, from your hard drive

PLEASE REMEMBER to set the maximum size of the image
800 x 600 is best
Anything else would make viewing and accessing the page for users difficult.

3. Click SELECT and then UPLOAD

4. Once uploaded, simply copy the fourth option under each image on your photobucket homepage and paste it into the body of your text here. This fourth link is the Image Tag.

Look forward to seeing them and indeed what we can do further.

Best WIShes

ZIN

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Blanpain

Thank you for your response. Unfortunately, I do not own a digital camera.

I would appreciate it if someone could tell me whether Blancpain and Blanpain are indeed the same company. If so, why are some watches marked with the Blancpain name and others Blanpain without the "c".

Thank you!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Blancpain

Hello,

I just returned from Tourneau after having made an appointment with their Swiss-trained watch maker. He opened the case and checked the movement. It is marked Blancpain. I have all the information and serial numbers. The reason the face is missing the "c" is due to the fact that the original dial was resurfaced and there was not enough room left to spell the name out completely so the "c" was left out.

Mystery solved.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Blancpain

Do you have an idea how much redialing costs? The dial is in perfect condition, the original dial, just resurfaced with the "c" omitted.

Thank you.

·
Registered
16,752 Posts
Do you have an idea how much redialing costs? The dial is in perfect condition, the original dial, just resurfaced with the "c" omitted.

Thank you.
Contact blancpain via the internet. I'd hate to guess.
The missing "c" slashes the value of your timepiece as a collectible.
However, if it has sentimental value - or you never intend to sell - don't sweat the dial issue.
Most of us here are serious watch geeks - we hate even micro mini scratches on our watches - so the "C" issue is a big deal to us.
Doesn't matter in the real world.
If you like the watch, wear it!

:001_smile:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Redialing

Hello,

A vintage watch dealer I spoke with provided me with the exact opposite advice. He told me that in his opinion I should not have the watch redialed because Blancpain today is a different company than it was when my watch was made and that they will not be interested in redialing a vintage watch as it won't mean much to them. He advised me to keep the dial as is. It is in perfect condition and the Blancpain movement runs well.

Interesting how opinions vary on this issue.

·
Registered
16,752 Posts
Contact blancpain. That's the only way to be certain. You can find their address on the web.
Many companies, including IWC and Omega, keep a large data base on old/vintage pieces and offer restoration service as well.
If it was my watch, I'd have it restored. But that's merely my choice.
And for giggles, ask your vintage dealer what he'd pay for the watch as it currently is - and what he'd give for an authentic and perfectly restored dial.
Actually, I'd love to know the answer.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts