WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a 1975 100th anniversary space view. The "crystal" really needs to be replaced. Does anybody by chance know where I might be able to get one? I know everyone loves (requires) pictures and as soon as it comes back from servicing I will post some (along with the incoming accutron 2210 and Omega f300). Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
You probably won't wind an original, but I think there is a guy who has replacement ones, they just don't have the printing on them.
They are as scarce as the proverbial hen's teeth. Accutron is correct, one 214 repair/restoration watchmaker has had some made w/o the logo printing. I also need one but have not, as yet, purchased one. Supposedly you reuse the original gasket under the crystal. Those big, clunky cases sure did get beat up. Many seen have had a rough life.

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
The crystals without the printing aren't cheap, $95.00.
I got lucky, my SS Anniversary model has the original crystal in good condition but OliverB is correct, the watch is so big and clunky it wouldn't stay that way if it was worn much.

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
The crystal for this watch was mineral glass and pretty soft. It is easily scratched, often with deep scratches. There are diamond polishing compounds available for glass crystals but I have not yet used them.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Could you get a picture of it on here so so we could see if the crystal is cracked or just needs polishing?
Here is a picture of the crystal. I had my trusted jewler tell me that he can use a painstaking process that nets him no money to make it like new again. It will be difficult and probably expensive to convince him to do it but I might try that route. It is in being serviced right now and will come back with a plain crystal. I'm going to see how it looks and decide from there. However, opinions from the WTF folks are always welcome. (The strap is temporary, I have a lizard one ordered).

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
We'll see what the experts say but I think you will be pleasantly surprised by the extent to which that will buff out. The first crystal I buffed was the one in my DeepSea 666 and it's not perfect but is very much good enough for a watch that gets used.
Very nice Spaceview !

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Alaskan, are you aware of the original design leather strap Bulova put on the 214 Anniv? It was a brown calfskin that was notched at the lug ends. Total width was 24 mm at lug ends with the band notched to 20 mm to fit. At the buckle end, the band tapered down to accept a 16 mm buckle. The shape compliments the large, wide case. Those bands are VERY RARE. I have never seen one for sale but periodically you do see an original one on a 214 Anniv. I have a tracing of an original band and checked into having one made here in the U.S. Price quoted was $95 shipped but I have not pursued it.

The pic below is of a "well loved" 214 Anniv. with a 22 mm Corfam band notched to fit the 20 mm lug opening. It gives you an idea of how the original, wider band looked on this watch.

·
Registered
254 Posts
If you want to do it yourself, here is that I do. I used this technique on a TV dial similar to that on my SS case without removing it. Removing these crystals can run the risk of cracking them (if they weren't cracked when installed last)

1. remove the movement
2. tape off the metal case that surrounds the crystal. Use your fingernail to push tape into the gaps to seal them
3. get a microfiber or towel, and lay it down on a flat surface
4. place a piece of 600 grit sand paper face up on the towel and get it wet
5. sand the crystal in a circular motion with your wrist. Rotate the case in your hand every 4-5 rotations (this will give an even sanding)
6. Hold it up to the light and continue until all of the imperfections start to fade
7. Once you have a smooth milky plastic surface, use a dremel and PlastX plastic polish to finish the buffing. Careful not to melt the crystal (IT'S POSSIBLE)
8. Use a clean microfiber to hand polish the rest
9. Reinsert movement

This does a pretty good job of restoring a crystal, but by no means makes it look NOS. I do this on all of my watches if new crystals are not available

·
Banned
605 Posts
Alaskan, are you aware of the original design leather strap Bulova put on the 214 Anniv? It was a brown calfskin that was notched at the lug ends. Total width was 24 mm at lug ends with the band notched to 20 mm to fit. At the buckle end, the band tapered down to accept a 16 mm buckle. The shape compliments the large, wide case. Those bands are VERY RARE. I have never seen one for sale but periodically you do see an original one on a 214 Anniv. I have a tracing of an original band and checked into having one made here in the U.S. Price quoted was $95 shipped but I have not pursued it.

The pic below is of a "well loved" 214 Anniv. with a 22 mm Corfam band notched to fit the 20 mm lug opening. It gives you an idea of how the original, wider band looked on this watch.
Yeah, forget the issues about the crystal for a bit. Focus your energy on doing something about the strap. It's hideous.

·
Banned
605 Posts

Corfam do a nice strap...

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah, forget the issues about the crystal for a bit. Focus your energy on doing something about the strap. It's hideous.
Agree about the strap. That one is on there to facilitate shipping. It was shipped to be serviced in a long watch box. The strap slides under some "keepers" and help keep the watch in place. I have seen the original notched strap but can't find one of those either. I have a lizard one on the way.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.