WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi newbie here, just acquired a vintage Rolex Tudor Prince Oysterdate, it has a very particular rose logo on the 12 o'çlock marker. maybe some of you good guys here can give me info on this watch...thanks in advance..

Attachments

·
Registered
266 Posts
Hello :)

I think the small rose preceded the big rose (early 60s was when it changed?), & then in the late 60s/early 70s, the Tudor logo changed to the shield.

That's a really nice looking watch :)

However....

I am not convinced by the dial... I've never seen the small rose as the 12 marker, I've only seen it printed above the "Tudor" signing on the dial.

(However the large rose Tudor Oysters had the large rose as the 12 marker).

Also the small rose on your watch looks "stucked on" like a rectangular label which looks crude & kind of not right.:confused1:

The hands don't look correct either.

I am also not convinced by the quality of the engraving at the back.

It's also very shiny & new looking for a watch that should be well over 40 years old. Unless it's been restored? :confused1:

Is there a serial number? Have you had the back opened to verify its bona fides?
As I could be totally wrong to doubt it :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello :)

I think the small rose preceded the big rose (early 60s was when it changed?), & then in the late 60s/early 70s, the Tudor logo changed to the shield.

That's a really nice looking watch :)

However....

I am not convinced by the dial... I've never seen the small rose as the 12 marker, I've only seen it printed above the "Tudor" signing on the dial.

(However the large rose Tudor Oysters had the large rose as the 12 marker).

Also the small rose on your watch looks "stucked on" like a rectangular label which looks crude & kind of not right.:confused1:

The hands don't look correct either.

I am also not convinced by the quality of the engraving at the back.

It's also very shiny & new looking for a watch that should be well over 40 years old. Unless it's been restored? :confused1:

Is there a serial number? Have you had the back opened to verify its bona fides?
As I could be totally wrong to doubt it :)
hi this is the photo :

Attachments

·
Registered
266 Posts
Hello :) Thanks for additional pics they are really helpful

It must be a genuine case & I apologize for casting doubt on that.

My thoughts:

1) The serial number dates it to the mid-60s.
According to a Hong Kong watch forum (Tudors are big in HK, as indeed are Rolex; actually people in HK seem pretty crazy about watches in general!:cool1: ), 56xxxxx => 1966.

2) The signs of wear between the lugs is as one would expect of its age. In contrast to the shiny newness of the dial and rest of case.
That makes me wonder if it's been restored, possibly reworked with changes to the dial and/or hands?

I am not exactly sure when the small rose changed to the big rose, but I know for definite that the large rose was on the market by 1967. Which means if the dial is entirely original, it must be one of the last small roses. However... it's just that I've never seen the small rose logo like that, as the 12 marker. I've only seem small roses actually printed on the dial above the Tudor signage and below the 12.

Also, I've only ever seen mid-60s Tudor Oysterdates with dauphine hands, which again makes me question if it's 100% original.

So I am thinking that maybe it is a genuine 1960s Tudor Oysterdate but with a reworked dial & hands? (But I am happy to be proved wrong!)

Anyway I think it's a very handsome watch :thumbup1:

·
Registered
266 Posts
Oh... Apparently Tudor did do a raised small rose logo at 12 o'clock like that in the early 60s, but it must be quite rare.

So it could well be authentic :) although I still have doubts as to whether the dial has been restored in some way (possibly unoriginal stick markers & hands?), especially as it looks so fresh and new. The danger oftentimes with vintage watches is frankenization as compared to outright fakes.

Best to get it verified by Rolex? Please update if you learn more, would be interesting & educational to know if it is indeed authentic, as I said I hadn't been aware that they also did the small rose logo like that.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've the same with rose logo at 12 o'clock

Please excuse my bad english.

If you are interested, i can post you photos soon.

This is an authentic model because my father worked in Geneva's Rolex and He received this watch for twenty years of seniority in the company!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
tudor - small 12 o'clock

My wife bought me my Tudor in the late 60s, early 70's?
Way above my paygrade (overtime).
Bought in Ontario, Canada and no way to know how long he had it in inventory.
So many years of service and we've worn out together.
Now it’ll cost:
Bracelet - $500
Crown - $200
Cleaning & crystal - $300
So I’ll put it in the safe.
I’m the original owner, relevant serial numbers, no docs or box, and the raised small rose logo at 12 o'clock. I've not seen many the same as this.

Notice that it has double wide markers for the 6/12 as compared with the example above.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Rolex tudor prince oysterdate

Hi there, wondering if anyone can help?

I am in the process of purchasing a watch which I know very little about.
Please see the following photos and description:

Picture 1.jpg Picture 2.jpg Picture 3.jpg

ROLEX TUDOR PRINCE OYSTERDATE
Brushed & Polished Stainless Steel Case in Excellent Condition. 30mm diameter.
Solid 18k gold bezel in mint condition.
Crisp white dial.
Black roman markers
Gold plated hands - slightly tarnished
Self winding. Separate Gold sweeping seconds hand working smoothly.
Flawless crystal with loupe over date feature. Calendar at 0300.
Rolex certified gold screw down crown in excellent condition.
Tudor 25 jewel (25 rubies) self-wind movement with datejust in excellent condition.
Keeps accurate date and time.
Burgundy crocgrain leather band with gold plated buckle in excellent condition.
Rolex stainless steel screwdown case, some wear - indentations on lugs, a small scratch.
Oyster case by Rolex Geneva.

I am unsure if this is genuine, how old it is and its approximate worth.

If anyone could enlighten me it would be much appreciated as I am new to this but very keen to add to my collection and learn as much as possible.

thanks again

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have that model and era of watch, smckimm

At first glance it looks fine. Off the top of my head, a 1990's midsize Prince.

I'll compare it to my one and see if I can spot anything obvious. Are you able to get serial numbers from the vendor?

Mine had a full service last year, and I replaced the Crystal and put a new bi-metal bracelet on, which is generally what it would have sold with.
I'll have a look at the crown markings on mine, for the era, and I also have the serial number documents somewhere that should give you an accurate date on it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,
This is a late rejoinder to this discussion but here are my 2 cents (Inappropriate for a Rolex discussion, I know!) worth.

I have a gold Rolex Prince Oysterdate which was a gift in middle December, 1962. It has the large rose above the Tudor signage. It also has the Rotot signage and Oyster case by Rolex on its back, concessions at the outset to acknowledge the quality of a lower priced Rolex.

The watch has still into markers with Arabic numerals at 6 and 9 and 12 o'clock with the date appearing at 3. There is a number printed on the case at the site of the lugs for the strap at the 6 o'clock position.

It trust this provies some insights to your mystery. 😇

1 - 12 of 12 Posts