WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello all .. i am new to this site and dont know if this is were i should post this but here goes ... i have a old elgin pocket watch i think 1920 Railroad Watch

i have been looking at e-bay and on the net for a long time now and i cant seem to find anything on this model .. there are a few close to it but not the same ...

i live in a small town so not too many place to bring it to ...

i think it is a rear model as i have found a lot of them but none are like this one

what i have found out is from the watch it's self {see pics} B. W. Raymond Lever set Railroad Watch. Gold 21 j

this was my grandfathers and he used to work for the R.R.

it is very nice and keeps perfect time

i am trying to upload the pics if they dont show up here e-me and i will send them .. i have 8 or 9 pics ... View attachment 32576 View attachment 32577 View attachment 32579 View attachment 32581

i want to sell it but i don't have any idea at all what a fair price would be as i just cant find it any were on the net can anyone help ? thanks... View attachment 32574 View attachment 32575

Attachments

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
hello all .. i am new to this site and dont know if this is were i should post this but here goes ... i have a old elgin pocket watch i think 1920 Railroad Watch

i have been looking at e-bay and on the net for a long time now and i cant seem to find anything on this model .. there are a few close to it but not the same ...

i live in a small town so not too many place to bring it to ...

i think it is a rear model as i have found a lot of them but none are like this one

what i have found out is from the watch it's self {see pics} B. W. Raymond Lever set Railroad Watch. Gold 21 j

this was my grandfathers and he used to work for the R.R.

it is very nice and keeps perfect time

i am trying to upload the pics if they dont show up here e-me and i will send them .. i have 8 or 9 pics ... View attachment 32576 View attachment 32577 View attachment 32579 View attachment 32581

i want to sell it but i don't have any idea at all what a fair price would be as i just cant find it any were on the net can anyone help ? thanks... View attachment 32574 View attachment 32575
Hello mrmerlin!

Welcome to the American...
We have some incredible PW guys here... one should be along for some help!
Very nice PW:thumbup1:

·
Registered
446 Posts
By the serial number, you have a gr. 472 from about 1927. This is a relatively common grade, with a total of 21,000 produced.

The 472 is an interesting grade in that these are normally fitted a special balance wheel. A "normal" bimetallic balance wheel is steel on the inside and brass on the outside. The Invar wheels replace the brass with an alloy known as Invar. This can provide better temperature compensation at middle temperatures.

I'm normally use to seeing these with an "Invar Balance" marking on the dial. The lack of this on yours makes me suspicious of the dial having been changed at some point in the history of the watch.

Otherwise, it looks like everything is in relatively nice condition.

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
By the serial number, you have a gr. 472 from about 1927. This is a relatively common grade, with a total of 21,000 produced.

The 472 is an interesting grade in that these are normally fitted a special balance wheel. A "normal" bimetallic balance wheel is steel on the inside and brass on the outside. The Invar wheels replace the brass with an alloy known as Invar. This can provide better temperature compensation at middle temperatures.

I'm normally use to seeing these with an "Invar Balance" marking on the dial. The lack of this on yours makes me suspicious of the dial having been changed at some point in the history of the watch.

Otherwise, it looks like everything is in relatively nice condition.
Awesome Ben!
Always great having you here:thumbup:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.