WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi, this is my first post here...im more a rolex guy..but had many pateks, my knowledge are not that bid in PP.

i have a rare 492A in steel...and had some other steel watches, like a ref 96 and a 3417

now, i bought a very unusual case..i would like to send it to PP to be completed , if possible, and in the meanwhile, get as more information about it...very weird way to close the case, with bars that slide at the case side with rubber seals in the both side, botton and upper.
25mm x 25mm unusual lugs...the case looks to be mint, never used...and 100% genuine.
this is how it works, there is a mid case where the dial and movement fits and other 2 parts, caseback with a rubber seal...and the upper part with crystal and also a rubber seal...and once the 3 parts together, 3 steel bars slide at the side case and lock it made it water resitant...like the old earler omega marine JLc etc....
i never saw a Patek like this.

any ideea of the reference model? anybody saw or had something like this??

thanks a lot, Wilton

·
Registered
171 Posts
Hi Wilton, great to see you here

Very intersting piece you have there.

Case maker is Francois Borgel who was famous for his early attemps at making water proof watches.
The serial no. may help date the piece.- check out the database on this website. It appears to date it to the early 1900's but not very accurate.Just a thought the case no. may relate to PP rather than the maker FB

Link to web

The history of François Borgel, Louisa Borgel and the Taubert family - watch case makers of Geneva, Switzerland

Case looks like the early 20's or 30's.

I have seen some detachable cases made for PP but not one like this.
also the PP engraving looks very clean as does the whole case-

I would start off with this website and contact the person David mentioned.

Also contact PP for further info

I assume there was no movement

Good luck

Julian

·
Registered
171 Posts
Not so much as vast knowledge as spending a vast amount of time on the interweb looki

The more I think about this piece , the more intrigued I get.

I do not think the number is a PP number as there is no movement and I do not think PP would number a case without a movement.
The case looks like it has never had a movement inside it.

So why have PP if PP never had the case??

It would still be worthwhile contacting PP archives and send them a pic as well

Please let us know what you find

Julian

PS always my pleasure to help out

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.