WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to pocket watches. I'm much more accustomed to working on pocket watches.

My mom gave me a South Bend 313 in a Keystone J Boss case. The old watch wants to run, but may need a little cleaning as it stops after clicking away for a while.

The back screws off, but I don't see any way of releasing the stem.

I suspect the front cover of this screws off as well and it might have a lever to set the time. But I can't seem to unscrew it with the couple attempts I've made so far.

Please let me know if you have seen a case like this, if the the front does screw off, and how to take the movement out.

Thanks for your help.

Attachments

·
Registered
446 Posts
Nice watch! The front cover almost certainly screws off. If it won't immediately unscrew, try gently "massaging" by rubbing your finger along the bezel in the direction it unscrews(squeezing hard can squeeze it out of round and make removing even harder).

There are more "brute force" ways to get one off which we can try, but this will get most stuck covers off.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Got it!

Thanks for the reply. You were right, it took some brute strength to get it unscrewed.

Do you know if there is any trick to setting this? Or is it broken? I pull them stem out and it acts like I have not. It will still wind the watch in this position.

Any ideas?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.