WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Do any members here find any significant difference between the standard Pro Diver, and the Swiss version of the same. Excluding the saphire crystal, and swiss movement. I am refering to feel, heft, casing, bracelette etc? I own 3 Invictas, all prodivers, and I love them. I am trying to decide if it is really nessacary to replace my divers with the exact same models under the "reserve collection." Any help would be great.

PS: On one of my divers the 8926, when I "wind" the watch, or shake my wrist, its sounds cheap, like a jiggling metal sound. The winding shield on the inside of the visable case seems to be the source of this issue Anyone else have that problem?

·
Registered
981 Posts
The Reserve Collection vs. the Standard Pro Diver are two different animals. Although the quality of the standard PD is fine the Reserve Collection takes it up quite a notch. All Reserve PD's are COSC Models the materials used in the ss is MUCH!! denser screws in all of the links. IMO absolutly worth the price of admission. However I would be hard pressed to flat out replace "All" of my original PD's.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
The Reserve Collection vs. the Standard Pro Diver are two different animals. Although the quality of the standard PD is fine the Reserve Collection takes it up quite a notch. All Reserve PD's are COSC Models the materials used in the ss is MUCH!! denser screws in all of the links. IMO absolutly worth the price of admission. However I would be hard pressed to flat out replace "All" of my original PD's.
I appreciate the info. I find it strange that Invicta has any COSC certifications. My Omega Seamaster is COSC certified, and that is a 2,000.00 watch, vs an Invicta diver reserve that may be 500.00- 800.00. Can anyone realy prove this to be true? Don't get me wrong, I love Invicta watches, they really are well made, and the price is certainly no reflection of thier quality, but to spend over 500.00 on an Invicta seems way out of line. Am I missing something here? I own several high end watches from Omega, Rolex, and Oris. I see people everyday comparing Invicta to these other brands. In my mind, although Invicta is a good quality watch, and is certainly a watch well made, they almost looked at as laughable to other watch collectors. I think I may rate an Invicta with a Citizen, or Bulova, or Seiko. That seems more true to Invicta's quality.

·
Registered
981 Posts
I appreciate the info. I find it strange that Invicta has any COSC certifications. My Omega Seamaster is COSC certified, and that is a 2,000.00 watch, vs an Invicta diver reserve that may be 500.00- 800.00. Can anyone realy prove this to be true? Don't get me wrong, I love Invicta watches, they really are well made, and the price is certainly no reflection of thier quality, but to spend over 500.00 on an Invicta seems way out of line. Am I missing something here? I own several high end watches from Omega, Rolex, and Oris. I see people everyday comparing Invicta to these other brands. In my mind, although Invicta is a good quality watch, and is certainly a watch well made, they almost looked at as laughable to other watch collectors. I think I may rate an Invicta with a Citizen, or Bulova, or Seiko. That seems more true to Invicta's quality.
Actually it's true Invicta is one of the top submitter's(if that is a word) of COSC movements in 2006 and will move (according to Eyal) move into the top ten in 2007/2008. Also IMO a Reserve Invicta is much better that a Citizen or Bulova hands down. There is a new (BULL) in town.

Watch News 2007
COSC 2006
1,300,140 Chronometers

(September 4, 2007)

Last year, the Contrôle officiel suisse des chronomètres (COSC) issued 1,300,140 certificates, or 10.7% more than in 2005. The number of registered pieces rose by 10.5% to 1,351,317 (1,243,915 in the mechanical category, +10.8%, and 56,225 in the quartz category, +5.3%). It is interesting to note that of the 56,225 certificates for quartz chronometers, 54,744 were awarded to Breitling products.

In terms of manufacturers, there was no change in the leading trio which has stayed the same in recent years: Rolex (710,752 certificates), Omega (257,187), Breitling (182,223). Next come Panerai (46,454), Chopard (23,462), Ulysse Nardin (10,111), Corum (8,189), TAG Heuer (7,450), Chanel (6,980), Mido (5,722), Porsche Design (3,892), Bulgari (3,698), Ebel (3,516), Montblanc (3,471), Invicta (2,717), Titoni (2,018), Zenith (1,917), Rado (1,805), Eterna (1,706), Enicar (1,672), Paul Picot (1,638), Sinn (1,596) and Christian Dior (1,100). All other applicants obtained fewer than 1,000 certificates.
http://www.fhs.ch/en/news/news.php?id=565

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys. Aside from the Reserve Collection, how would you rate the 8926 to other marketed watches? Also do you believe that the days of spending 5K on a watch will be over, if Invicta can get their Reserve Collection better marketed?

I would never compare my Invictas to my Rolex nor Omega, but I will say I get far more compliments on my Invictas, than anyother watch I wear, and they are really durable. Whats funny is that my Invicta divers "feel" mor expensive than my Rolex. My personal favorite is the 8926 SS with black mop, with the 8926A two tone with blue face, SS, and gold tone accents. What do you all think.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Welcome, 007. Invicta does in fact produce some very fine watches. You spoke of Oris. I have an Oris Titan Date. My Invicta SubAqua Noma II in my opinion is superior to it in every measurable way. That said, I feel I can certainly "compare" my Invicta to a watch of perceived higher quality and value.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Welcome, 007. Invicta does in fact produce some very fine watches. You spoke of Oris. I have an Oris Titan Date. My Invicta SubAqua Noma II in my opinion is superior to it in every measurable way. That said, I feel I can certainly "compare" my Invicta to a watch of perceived higher quality and value.
Good point. I looked at the SubAqua Noma II, and it is very impressive. I find it hard to spend that type of cash on Invicta, vs a Tag for the same price. I guess I do not feel that Invicta watches are a good buy at that level. I am not refering to quality, but more of perception from other collectors, and in the event of future sales. If I were to bring an Omega Seamaster to a fine jewler to sell, or use as a trade-in, I would get fair value, and in most cases close to retail. With an Invicta they would not know how to price it, or value it, since there is no true established value on the secondary market. Sug retail prices Invicta uses, can not really be proven. All over the internet they are discounted to peanuts, and they have no retailer. Kobold is a watch company that deals only with internet, but is accepted as a high end watch, that still returns value over time. Do you see my case? Am I off whack here, and simply do not know about the secondary market?

·
Registered
981 Posts
Thanks guys. Aside from the Reserve Collection, how would you rate the 8926 to other marketed watches? Also do you believe that the days of spending 5K on a watch will be over, if Invicta can get their Reserve Collection better marketed?

I would never compare my Invictas to my Rolex nor Omega, but I will say I get far more compliments on my Invictas, than anyother watch I wear, and they are really durable. Whats funny is that my Invicta divers "feel" mor expensive than my Rolex. My personal favorite is the 8926 SS with black mop, with the 8926A two tone with blue face, SS, and gold tone accents. What do you all think.
IMO the 8926 is what it is a decent made watch that "feels more expensive" than it is. You can't compare the 89xx series to higher brand watches because it is not in that class of watch. Would I compare a Reserve Diver to a Tag, Movado, or other smiler class watches YES!!!! Invicta has earned (at least to this point) it. To be honest I would (Man am I gonna get it for this) actually compare the Reserve Pro diver to Gulp!! Omega. Putting aside heritage, longevity, and the urge to maintain loyalty to Omega really they can be compared to each other. Yeah I know some will say "It's just an Invicta" But I believe that "OLD" beliefs die hard. Folks let go open your eyes don't be afraid honestly it will be OK. Remember when they thought the world was flat? Invicta has grown up. And until you lay your hands on a Reserve piece nothing I say will make some change their minds. Some will deny and make the pretense and find flaws where they don't exist. But the Reserve line is completely different from the usual at Invicta.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
IMO the 8926 is what it is a decent made watch that "feels more expensive" than it is. You can't compare the 89xx series to higher brand watches because it is not in that class of watch. Would I compare a Reserve Diver to a Tag, Movado, or other smiler class watches YES!!!! Invicta has earned (at least to this point) it. To be honest I would (Man am I gonna get it for this) actually compare the Reserve Pro diver to Gulp!! Omega. Putting aside heritage, longevity, and the urge to maintain loyalty to Omega really they can be compared to each other. Yeah I know some will say "It's just an Invicta" But I believe that "OLD" beliefs die hard. Folks let go open your eyes don't be afraid honestly it will be OK. Remember when they thought the world was flat? Invicta has grown up. And until you lay your hands on a Reserve piece nothing I say will make some change their minds. Some will deny and make the pretense and find flaws where they don't exist. But the Reserve line is completely different from the usual at Invicta.

Wow! There is no way to compare an Invicta to an Omega. I own several Omegas, and Invictas, and can tell you they are no where near the same class. Now although I do not own any from the "reserve collection" I do own one other Swiss Invicta diver that "retails" at 1,100.00. I can say that 800- 1000.00 would be a real solid price, but they are not 2,500.00 and up quality watches. Lets be realistic here. Heritage aside, Omega's QC, and standards are something Invicta severly lacks, thus eliminating the comparison. add to that that Invicta is retailed at JC Penny's, Sams Club, Costco, and soon Wallmart, and there you have it. I see people comparing these watches to Movado, and can say they do surpass Movado (Although I do think Movado a joke). I do not see the sparks that people associate to Movado. Back on topic. I think the 89XX Diver is an excellent watch, and well worth a 500.00 price tag, but 1K and up??? Are we dreaming here?

·
Registered
981 Posts
Wow! There is no way to compare an Invicta to an Omega. I own several Omegas, and Invictas, and can tell you they are no where near the same class. Now although I do not own any from the "reserve collection" I do own one other Swiss Invicta diver that "retails" at 1,100.00. I can say that 800- 1000.00 would be a real solid price, but they are not 2,500.00 and up quality watches. Lets be realistic here. Heritage aside, Omega's QC, and standards are something Invicta severly lacks, thus eliminating the comparison. add to that that Invicta is retailed at JC Penny's, Sams Club, Costco, and soon Wallmart, and there you have it. I see people comparing these watches to Movado, and can say they do surpass Movado (Although I do think Movado a joke). I do not see the sparks that people associate to Movado. Back on topic. I think the 89XX Diver is an excellent watch, and well worth a 500.00 price tag, but 1K and up??? Are we dreaming here?
I am refering to the Reserve line. If you note I stated that the 89xx series is what it is. A I do believe that it is a well made watch. But as far as the Reserve PD as I stated it is a different story.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
The only thing you appear to be "off-whack" about in my opinion is that you would purchase a watch as an investment. You stated you could not and would not compare the quality of an Invicta to an Oris. I am not talking about brand prestige here. I am talking about quality. I am able to and do compare my Oris and SubAqua together daily. The SubAqua is a superior tool/dive watch. I did not know that I was to quotient in some shame factor of one kind or another to make the comparison. I see what you are saying, as thousands have made the same argument as you. Invicta makes 79.00 watches and Oris does not. This does not make the end quality of the product we are comparing inherantly inferior in and of itself.

·
Registered
981 Posts
I believe there may be a bit of confusion with this topic. The standard Invicta PD is NOT in the same class as an Omega. BUT IMO the Reserve Pro Diver can be compared directly to the Omega PD. I know that this will bring thunder and lightning down from the heavens above but it's my opinion and I stand by it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I believe there may be a bit of confusion with this topic. The standard Invicta PD is NOT in the same class as an Omega. BUT IMO the Reserve Pro Diver can be compared directly to the Omega PD. I know that this will bring thunder and lightning down from the heavens above but it's my opinion and I stand by it.
I too am not refering to the standard line as a comparison to Omega. I am saying that although my Swiss Invicta diver is not designated as a "reserve collection" line, it has all the same features as the reserve version. I just looked them up. This watch being the watch in question, is no where near Omegas quality or workmanship. Now are there Invicta models that are fantastic, yes! I do love Invicta, but to compare this brand to a well established elite brand is simply out in left field. I agree that the SubAqua Noma II is a top rate watch, and may out level Oris on many levels (as advertised) but are you really getting a 2,500.00 watch? Nothing on Invicta seems to be verifyable (ie suggested retail cost, quality control standards etc). A watch at the level of several thousands of dollars is to some extent an investment, same as a 60 million dollar Monet. A bit extreme, but you get the point, they are by no means throw away watches. I want the knowldege that the piece I buy is established, and well respected for thier quality. Don't you? I do not think that this is unreasonable in any hobby. You buy what you like, but also you have to be smart when dealing with thousands of dollars.

·
Registered
981 Posts
I too am not refering to the standard line as a comparison to Omega. I am saying that although my Swiss Invicta diver is not designated as a "reserve collection" line, it has all the same features as the reserve version. I just looked them up. This watch being the watch in question, is no where near Omegas quality or workmanship. Now are there Invicta models that are fantastic, yes! I do love Invicta, but to compare this brand to a well established elite brand is simply out in left field. I agree that the SubAqua Noma II is a top rate watch, and may out level Oris on many levels (as advertised) but are you really getting a 2,500.00 watch? Nothing on Invicta seems to be verifyable (ie suggested retail cost, quality control standards etc). A watch at the level of several thousands of dollars is to some extent an investment, same as a 60 million dollar Monet. A bit extreme, but you get the point, they are by no means throw away watches. I want the knowldege that the piece I buy is established, and well respected for thier quality. Don't you? I do not think that this is unreasonable in any hobby. You buy what you like, but also you have to be smart when dealing with thousands of dollars.
I will agree with you on the point of "Investing" thousands of dollars on a watch. But putting things into prespective. The biggest complaint I hear from those who don't like invicta is QC. But juggle this around a little. Rolex sells every watch they produce. Just about every model the make is a COSC model. So it would stand to reason that according to the Swiss Industry that Rolex only produces about 800,000 units (give or take) a year. Invicta sold 1.7 million in 2006 give or take. Undoubtably they actually produced even more. Even if they both had ths exact same precentage of QC failure by sheer volume Invicta would look to have serious issues. It is simply that the make more watches(way more watches) I will once again say that the STANDARD Invicta PD is not in the same class of the OMEGA but IMO the Reserve line can be and is. This is my opinion as far as quality goes. Longevity, Heritage, Name recognition notwithstanding. Will Invicta ever be respected for this? Well as long as there are those who can't see the present and future are around I don't think so.JMHO

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I will agree with you on the point of "Investing" thousands of dollars on a watch. But putting things into prespective. The biggest complaint I hear from those who don't like invicta is QC. But juggle this around a little. Rolex sells every watch they produce. Just about every model the make is a COSC model. So it would stand to reason that according to the Swiss Industry that Rolex only produces about 800,000 units (give or take) a year. Invicta sold 1.7 million in 2006 give or take. Undoubtably they actually produced even more. Even if they both had ths exact same precentage of QC failure by sheer volume Invicta would look to have serious issues. It is simply that the make more watches(way more watches) I will once again say that the STANDARD Invicta PD is not in the same class of the OMEGA but IMO the Reserve line can be and is. This is my opinion as far as quality goes. Longevity, Heritage, Name recognition notwithstanding. Will Invicta ever be respected for this? Well as long as there are those who can't see the present and future are around I don't think so.JMHO
Perhaps Invicta should consentrate more on quality than quantity in thier main line, and use saturation in thier sub brand. QC is the whole point that dirves the price for this discussion. If QC is not there, then neither is the price, nor prestigious reputaiton. I agree that Invicta is well worth a 1000 price tag, but anything more, I will stick with established brands. We'll agree to disagree.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Perhaps Invicta should consentrate more on quality than quantity in thier main line, and use saturation in thier sub brand. QC is the whole point that dirves the price for this discussion. If QC is not there, then neither is the price, nor prestigious reputaiton. I agree that Invicta is well worth a 1000 price tag, but anything more, I will stick with established brands. We'll agree to disagree.
To each his/ her own. BTW I just relized that you are new here. Welcome!!!!

·
Registered
981 Posts
LOL!!!! trial by fire!
I don't know if it's trial by fire. but we do have difference in opinion. I'm OK with that. The Reserve line is not like any other previous Pro Diver. I own a number of the Standard Divers and I will say this...Two different Lines of watches. Invicta has never put out a series of watches at the level of the Reserve type. Not even close. But don't go away it's nice to have discussion without sparks your are the right fit for this forum. Welcome again.:thumbup1:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts