WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!

Getting close to joining the Breitling family. Been Really considering a Superocean Chrono from my local AD, but I'm not sure I'm ready to shell out $3,200 even though that's a pretty fair price.

I've started toying with buying a used watch to see if the Breitling look is really my style, and so I don't get hit with too much depreciation if I change my mind. I've been liking the "older" Chronomats, and have been eye balling this guy.

Linky

My only real concern is that I've decided 40mm is the minimum I's like to go, and this is listed as 38mm. I thought that all of these were in the 40mm range?

What are your opinions on new vs used route? I do like the band style of the Chronomat a little more. (I'm definitely going for flashy here, but I need to be able to beat the watch up as well.) I figure I could always pay a few hundred to get the used one serviced for peace of mind, and still save $1,000+ on the deal.

Help! :crying:

·
Registered
416 Posts
Buying used is a good way to save money and eliminate depreciation factors, which you would experience when buying new. I think it is a good idea to set aside some money for immediate servicing too. While many used watches for sale are perfectly fine, there is no real way to insure everything is working as it should unless you send it in for service. It sounds to me like you have a realistic approach. In addition, you might want to try looking at the sales/trade sites of the various watch forums. Many people who frequent these forums are quite conscientious about providing accurate information and a reasonable price. Of course, it is always good to do plenty of comparison shopping. I wish you success. :thumbup1:

·
Registered
3,680 Posts
Hey Stereoman,

Before you bid on something like that watch get out and have a look at these watches in person.

You are travelling a route I went down.I wanted a Chronomat EVO and come accross a similar watch to your Ebay.Fortunately I had just come from an AD and had fresh in my mind the EVO,when by chance I saw a another watch like the second hand watch I was looking at.

Comparing the two was no contest.The secondhand one would have been a bad choice and basically a compromise.Sure it had the pilot bracelet and the bling but not the same wow factor.

To cut a long story short I went with the Superocean and I am happy.The moral I guess is don't compromise without touching the watch.Buying via pictures doesn't give the same "feel".

Save the extra and go with the new if you can,the Superocean is a great watch.It is heavy and blingy and certainly attracts attention.Not only that it is a great watch that can be used for serious diving.:thumbup:

A couple of photos for you.

·
Registered
20,799 Posts
Hello Stereoman405,

First, congrats on your choice to go with a Breitling. Either model is a winner you can't go wrong with IMO.

There are many variants of the Chronomat over the years. It is possible that one is a 38mm. I don't know the year of it, but I'd guess '02 or so. I've got the '03-current Chronolog & don't see the exact config for the subdials in the ones I have. However, a Breitling 38mm wears much larger than a standard 38mm & it will probably feel like a 40mm (or larger). My recommendation is the same as Aarons. Go try some on in person & see what you think. There isn't a current Chronomat in 38mm, but the Chrono Cockpit is 39mm and looks very close to the Chronomat in terms of the subdials & layout, so that would be something to see if you like the size of (you really won't notice the 1mm difference).

Pre-owned is always a great way to buy, but my #1 advise is buy what your heart tells you to. Whichever you'll be happier with in the long run is really the best measure. If your hearts set on the SuperOcean Chrono, save for it & get that. If they're about equal, a nice pre-owned Chronomat is a great option. Since you're buying a Breitling, they'll last for years so whichever you go with should give you a long time of enjoyment.

If you do decide to go pre-owned, do be sure to check out the forum sponsors. Their links are at the bottom of the main WTF page. Many of the sponsors deal in pre-owned watches, so check out their links, and if you don't see what your looking for listed, feel free to contact them & ask. They may be able to get look for one for you.

Good luck and do feel free to ask any questions you may have.. I hope we'll be seeing pictures of a new Breitling on your wrist soon! :thumbup1:

PS - do look for a PM from me. The PM's are in the top right hand corner of the screen. Just click on "Private Messages:" and it'll take you to your inbox....

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the input guys. I have been to my AD twice in the last week comparing models. I just REALLY like the pilot's band. I've always been a Rado guy, so the flashier the better in my book. I'm in a sales type position and I always find its a good ice breaker when people start asking you about your watch, and that band seems to have just a bit more flash to it. So depending on how the seller answer my barrage of questions, I think I'm leaning towards that one right now. If I don't like it I figure I could take a couple hundred dollar hit to trade up down the road.

On a related topic, it looks like the rider tabs have some of the black worn off on them, how hard or expensive is it to get those replaced? Also does Breitling get picky about servicing watches that have come second hand? I know they are pretty adamant about all new sales going through AD's and not online entities.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey Stereoman,

Before you bid on something like that watch get out and have a look at these watches in person.

You are travelling a route I went down.I wanted a Chronomat EVO and come accross a similar watch to your Ebay.Fortunately I had just come from an AD and had fresh in my mind the EVO,when by chance I saw a another watch like the second hand watch I was looking at.

Comparing the two was no contest.The secondhand one would have been a bad choice and basically a compromise.Sure it had the pilot bracelet and the bling but not the same wow factor.

To cut a long story short I went with the Superocean and I am happy.The moral I guess is don't compromise without touching the watch.Buying via pictures doesn't give the same "feel".

Save the extra and go with the new if you can,the Superocean is a great watch.It is heavy and blingy and certainly attracts attention.Not only that it is a great watch that can be used for serious diving.:thumbup:

A couple of photos for you.

Oh ya, thanks for the pics. I actaully saw them on another thread and have had them on my desktop all week. They helped to win the wifey over to the cause. :biggrin:

·
Registered
20,799 Posts
On a related topic, it looks like the rider tabs have some of the black worn off on them, how hard or expensive is it to get those replaced? Also does Breitling get picky about servicing watches that have come second hand? I know they are pretty adamant about all new sales going through AD's and not online entities.

Yea, I noticed the black coming off the rider tabs... You can order replacement tabs from a dealer (Breitling won't ship them directly to you). Just to check the cost I called my dealer and he said they're about $50 each. I'd thought maybe $30 or so, but it's an infrequently replaced part, so they cost a bit more... Still, not too bad (relative of course... :wink: ). If you decide you want one (or two it looks like) any AD can order it. Just provide the watch model number (in this case A13050.1). Another option is remove the black from the existing tabs completely & have them all plain. I think the satin color is nice looking too...

For servicing a second hand watch. If it was bought from an AD and it's still under a warranty, they will honor the warranty. If it's out of warranty they'll also service, whether you were the original owner or not as it's a charged event (out of warranty).

And you're right, new sales must go thru an AD to get the factory warranty. If it's bought from a gray dealer (most online stores) you won't get the warranty. They will still service as out of warranty though.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow! Thanks! That was quite a bit of good info. If that watch has never been serviced is there any point of doing it as a precaution? Or if it's working fine, is it best to leave well enough alone? What does a cleaning for one of those run?

·
Registered
20,799 Posts
Wow! Thanks! That was quite a bit of good info. If that watch has never been serviced is there any point of doing it as a precaution? Or if it's working fine, is it best to leave well enough alone? What does a cleaning for one of those run?
A cleaning & service is probably around $500 or so. I've never done one, and it'll depend on what if anything needs replaced, but $400-600 is probably a good estimate.

Now, as to whether you should do a servicing is a much debated topic. And it's about as definitive as arguing the Chevy vs. Ford discussions... :wink: :lol:

Some say regular service is a valuable service and it helps keep the watch in tip-top shape & may reduce more expensive repair later (like changing the oil & filters in a car on a regular time-line). Others say if it isn't broke don't mess with it. The watch will tell you when it needs service. Until then leave it alone.

Personally, I'm of the second camp, leave it alone until it needs service. I've never proactively serviced a watch, and I've never serviced a watch except for a warranty issue. My oldest automatic watch is approaching 13 years old, has never been serviced and is accurate to less than 5 seconds fast per day. I may pay a little more when I do service, but if I've skipped a service or 2 I've saved more than enough to cover it. However, I will admit the key to leaving it alone until it needs servicing is knowing what the norm is for the watch and IMMEDIATELY service it when it's no longer performing to the norm (and stopping the watch so it can't damage itself). Example, if the watch is constantly 4 seconds fast per day and all the sudden it 20 seconds slow every day, that's a big red flag. Pull the crown out to stop it & have it serviced. The watch will tell you when somethings wrong. Ignore it & you will pay more, just like ignoring the warning signs your car needs serviced.

For a used watch you want to really track it over a month to determine what's it's norm as each watch will be unique. Is it always a few seconds fast or slow? Take a piece of paper & document how fast or slow it was each day for the first month. That'll give you it's standard. If it's really off (such as fast one day, slow the next & so on), than I'd maybe service it. Once you get it back, then do the track to get it's 'personality'. One note, how you store a watch at night can also bear in the equation (face up, on it's crown, 12 up, 6 up, etc.) so if you take it off at night put it in the same position each night when tracking the accuracy.

Hope this helps... :thumbup1:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts