WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Longines L4.708.4 automatic watch, but found that every couple of months I'd wake up and the time is out by 20 - 40 minutes from the real time. This happens because the watch stops. Now usually I'd guess it is because it is not getting enough movement in the night, but surely a day's activities will wind it up enough to last the night? I am not an overly active person in the work week, I work on computers, so not sure if that contributes to the problem.

Secondly, I have read elsewhere that even automatic watches need to be manually wound from time to time. My instruction manual does not cover my specific model, so I could not get clarity on the matter. So two questions:

1) Does my watch support manual winding?
2) Do I need to manually wind it and how often?

Lastly, is my watch functioning correctly by sometimes halting like this? This is my first mechanical watch so I am new to this.

·
Banned
28,291 Posts
Hi. Yes, you can occasionally wind your automatic watch by the crown - or buy a watch winder. You might not be creating enough motion to keep the watch fully wound. Oh, and you can count on the watch being off several seconds each day which can add up to a noticeable difference over a few months. That's just the way mechanical watches are.

So, where's the picture of your watch? It's an unwritten rule that you have to post at least one picture. If you don't, then we'll both be in hot water.... you for posting without a pic and me for helping somebody that didn't post a pic. Big fines and penalties involved man!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
:) I will oblige. Here are the pictures:

I did notice it is much more inaccurate than my Seiko Arctura Auto Relay, but that I figured out once I realised that going mechanical does not imply the watch would be more accurate.

What I was referring to is I'd go to sleep with the correct time on my watch (give or take a minute) and wake up 8 hours later and it has stopped and is 1-2 hours behind. Maybe I should get a watch winder for the 5 minutes I am in the shower and it is off my wrist?

·
Registered
22 Posts
You should take the loss of reserve to mean that the movement is probably in need of servicing, without which it may cause wear.

I'd get it in to a watchmaker sooner rather than later. Normal wear should be sufficient to give you far more reserve time than you are getting. Could be a rotor jewel or could be something else, but I think you want to find out for sure.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.