WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I recently learned that in my boyfriend's culture (Korean), it is expected that the woman buy the man a watch after getting engaged. I think we are heading down that path in the coming year, so I need to start researching and saving up. Frankly, I'd rather pay for a kickass honeymoon...but I don't want insult his family by upsetting tradition.

Here's the rub: He is already a watch collector and has a collection of watches WAY more expensive than I can afford. I don't know exact models, but I know he has an A.P. Royal Oak, a Rolex or two, and several Pateks.

So, I need some ideas of something that is nice, unique, but not going to make me bankrupt myself! General budget is ~$5000.

He's also a design/quality snob, so something with parts made in China is not going to impress. I mentioned something about Shinola thinking it's unique and American-made and he scoffed, so that's out.

I would welcome any suggestions that you have!

·
Super Moderator
15,435 Posts
Unique and American-made.....may I suggest RGM? Founded by Roland G. Murphy, the modest factory is located in Mount Joy, Pennsylvania. RGM offers a nice variety of styles and also offers customized engraving to make your watch truly personalized.
I strongly urge you to check his website at rgmwatches .com

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No, not a ghost, just a few busy weeks of work/travel. Thank you for the replies folks, I appreciate the advice.

I am also considering going outside of the watch game - maybe cufflinks? Patek makes some cufflinks that look like the watch he has, so those could be cute and I know he would never buy them for himself. But I'll certainly take a look at RGM and some of the pre-owned Omegas.

·
Super Moderator
5,837 Posts
No, not a ghost, just a few busy weeks of work/travel. Thank you for the replies folks, I appreciate the advice.

I am also considering going outside of the watch game - maybe cufflinks? Patek makes some cufflinks that look like the watch he has, so those could be cute and I know he would never buy them for himself. But I'll certainly take a look at RGM and some of the pre-owned Omegas.
If you are going to spend $5000 on a watch for your boyfriend, do you need another boyfriend to spend $$ on ? :laugh: :wink:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Have you considered having a custom one made? I have made a few custom watches for myself and my dad. I like them so much more than anything I have just purchased because they are MINE.

The best part... he will have NO idea how much you spent on it because there is no MSRP for it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts