WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for an automatic watch winder for my boyfriend for Christmas. He is a watch enthusiast and very discerning when it comes to everything watch-related so I want to get one he will like but am having trouble picking one out. Right now he has a Rolex Explorer II, a vintage Tudor, and a Fredrique Constant.

From what I gather, Wolf winders are the most desirable. Are they really worth the extra expense? I was looking at a Heritage Collection 2.1 Double Watch Winder with Cover and Storage for $360 from Amazon. I was kind of hoping to spend something more like $200, though. Would it be stupid to get the single version of this (which is $200 on Amazon), as he has 3 watches?

OR should I get him an Pangaea or Heiden dual watch winder with storage for around $200. Is Wolf really worth it?

Please advise ASAP! I have been going crazy looking at all of these watch winders. Really have no clue what I'm doing.

·
Premium Member
1,603 Posts
Given the amount you're looking to spend, I'd recommend looking at the Brookstone winders. I've had my Brookstone 4 watch winder for close to five years and it's still really quiet, which I wasn't really expecting given the low cost (4 watch = $200, 2 watch = $150, and 1 watch = $100). The Brookstone blows away my 2 watch Eilux, which was about $450. My Eilux does look a little nicer, but it's not in the same league as the Brookstone in terms of functionality and noise (it was quiet when I got it, but that only lasted a couple years). Some of the Wolf and Orbita winders are gorgeous, and if money were no object I might go that route, but the Brookstone still looks nice enough to have sitting out, is quiet, and the value is incredible. I would definitely buy another one if something were to happen to mine, and given the cost, it really wouldn't bother me if it only lasted 5 or 6 years.

Here are some functions that I like about the Brookstone, which are not necessarily common at this price point.

1. Each winder head can be individually set to the specific number of turns per day.

2. Each winder head has it's power switch, so so you can turn each one on or off without affecting the others.

3. Whenever the watch is not turning, they always stop in the upright position, so it makes for a nicer display (my Eilux winder just stops in random positions, so usually the watch will be upside down or angled when it's not running).

Good luck with your search.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts