WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess it's been a little while since I last visited. It took me a little while to figure out that the WTF moved. I couldn't figure out how to post a new topic and then got wise and read the one about the site moving. Dohhh!

Anyhow, I need a little advice. I can no longer manually wind my 3825 LE TT Pro Diver. :crying: It has the SW200 movement. It got real scratchy and now it is completely locked up. It seems the self-wind mechanism still works. So what should I do?

Should I buy a cheap watch-winder for now and eventually send the watch in for both maintenance and to be fixed? If so how much would a cheap winder cost. Anyone have a suggestion where to buy one.

Should I send it to Invicta to get fixed? How much is that going to cost me and how long will I have to wait?

Related to the above, the timepiece was purchased 2nd hand. I’m assuming there is no warrantee on the piece. Is that correct?

Should I find a local jeweler to see if they can fix it? Would that be any cheaper or more expensive than sending it to Invicta?

Is there a dealer associated with this forum that can do this type of work at a reasonable price and in a timely fashion?...something that Invicta is not known for.

Is there anything I can do to fix the problem myself. I’m assuming that this is way over my head. The most I’ve ever done was calibrate my SW200. The piece is just too precious to me to screw up. (On a completely unrelated note, I remember some newbie that came by the old board and asked for a recommendation for a beater pro diver, suggesting that he was consider the 3825 LE TT Pro Diver. As the saying goes, one mans garbage is another man’s treasure.) :001_rolleyes:

So any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Hi Bill from IL here, I had a problem with one of my SW 200 Invcta's & sent it in & they fixed it just fine, what I would do is get the Money order made out to Invicta for S/H I think its now $25, but make sure you send it so its trackable. Now, they were bad in letting me know that they got it & bad in not replying to my phone calls, but I got it back good. NOW IF you are Picky, TAKE Pictures of the Watch case BEFORE sending it out & send some copies with the watch, cause I think some Invictas come back scratched :( Best Rgds Bill in il ([email protected])

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have several of the watches with the SW200 movement. Two of them had to be sent back to Invicta because the winding "froze" and I could no longer hand wind them. They had to go back to Switzerland to be fixed. One had to go back twice. The other one came back so smooth that I can hardly hear the gears turning when I wind it.

First, I would contact Invicta to see if it is covered by warranty. You said you purchased it second hand, so I'm not sure if it is covered. But, it's worth a try. If they say no, you can ask for an estimate. My guess is that it would be very expensive if they have to send it to Switzerland.

The other recommendation would be to take it to a local watch repair person and try to get an estimate.

If the costs for these options are too high. you may want to try finding an winder. You might even consider buying one of the Magico's on SHOPNCBC that come with a winder. You can always try e-bay.
Good luck. They're beautiful watches. I just wish they had done a better QC job.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
TB, I had the same issue with my 3824. I sent it to Invicta under warranty and they fixed it and returned it, fine, no problem. To second Bill's comment, I would also suggest taking pictures of your watch front, back and sides. For my own documentation I also take a digital video of opening any package containing a watch sent from Invicta service center to me. That way there is no doubt as to any damage or the condition of the watch when it was out of your control. I have not been as fortunate with my 3826, and it was sent back to Invicta the third time and I asked them to repair the physical damage to the watch that was caused at their facility.

You should be able to get an estimate on the repair at a local watch repair shop, or a jeweler. You may find it more acceptable to pay for the repair locally than to send it to Invicta.

·
Banned
5,824 Posts
Hi bandit. Welcome back.

I suspect that the warranty would not be honored but it is worth checking. I suggest calling Invicta CS since some members got a large dose of frustration pie by emailing and I think had their emails caught in a spam filter.

Worse case? They will charge you to repair it. Best case? They will honor a warranty. If they want to charge you a lot, take it to a local and reputable watch repair place in town.

Either way, good luck

·
Registered
298 Posts
Yeah , you can try to get it fixed locally, but the problem is that not many will touch the NEW SW200 movt, since it is not exactly like the ETA 2824, its is not an exact copy & there may or may not be any parts in stock for repair in the general watch world , other than those mfgs that use this movt, just my thought, So to sum, you might want to let any local place you call BEFORE you go there for repair & tell them you have a sw 200, Best Rgds Bill

·
Banned
927 Posts
As you bought it used, you might try to get the original invoice from the seller and submit it under warranty using that paperwork, but with your address of course. I had a similar situation with another brand and was able to do so.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
This is the reason I am afraid to step up to the more expensive Invicta's.
QC and CS seems to be a real problem. I glean that from hearing what the many fine Invicta owner/collectors have to say about Invicta QC/CS.

I mean I like the look of Invicta watches that I own better than a half dozen of the low end models. The thing about that, one breaks, one goes to the garbage pail and I can get another one brand new. But when I want to dish out $200 to $1000 for a watch it is because not only do I like it but I expect it to work and work for a while. I also want QC to be at a point that it would be a surprise for it to have a problem over a few years and if it does, I want CS to be there to take care of it. I think, from what I have gleaned from many of you QC and CS is a problem Invicta has not adequately addressed.

I look at the pictures of some really fine looking Invictas posted here and think, I want one of those but, then I won't pull the trigger because of QC and CS issues. Am I mistaken here? If so, please let me know.

Thanks

·
Registered
541 Posts
This is the only part I dread when I buy an Invicta. Hearing about what goes wrong with a model that I also own and the CS and repair issues that follow.
I have been fortunate that I have not had to deal with Invicta for any issues thus far. That is a good thing. But I feel other members pain when they have to deal with poor response from Invicta. Makes me look at my watches and think what if?
On that happy note I just recieved my 4469 with the SW200 movement.:huh:

·
Registered
16,752 Posts
This kind of thread always triggers my alarm bells.
Having just returned to the Invicta camp with a $1,000 watch with a COSC SW200 movement, I'm suitably nervous. I guess the issues is with the movement rather than Invicta.
Still, I would get a local price and contact Invicta, too.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks everyone for the advise and kind words

Along with it no longer winding manually, it doesn't seem to be staying wound even with the self wind mechanism.

I'll be looking into the warrantee situation as well as the cost from Invicta and a local jeweler.

Something tells me it will be a while before I get my baby back and running.

Oh well! I remind myself it's only a think and that there are so many other things in life that are so much more important, like my wonderful family. In fact today is my daughter's 16th birthday. A great day of celebration. Hum...the new boyfriend, her first, that just asked her out, does add a whole new level of stress though. :001_rolleyes: He seems like a real nice kid though, but we are talking about my little girt.

Happy weekend, all! With my LE diver out of commission, I'm going to my reserve speedy. It's the one that gets noticed most...not that I wear it for that reason.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts