WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I came across a neat Hamilton. I has a 19j #982 movement with the number: J84664 on the movement the case is a 14K gold filled case that can rotate so that thesolid back is up. This one is engraved "White Club Member 1940 1941" It keeps time but the crystal is cracked and needs to be replaced. I would like to know what kind of a band came on this watch and the model. Just wondering, does anyone know what the White Club is or was?

photo3.jpg

photo.JPG

photo (1).jpg

·
Premium Member
1,705 Posts
John,

you have a Hamilton Otis. A scarce and very collectable Hamilton. Jaeger LeCoultre licensed the Reverso style of case to Hamilton in the late 30's.

The movement was made in 1940. If you have a look in the catalogue sticky at the top of our forum you will find some pictures of the watch.

as to who the White Club is I can't help you.

nice watch :thumbup1:

Sean

·
Registered
26 Posts
You have a real beauty - an "Otis". A sought out model for Hamilton collectors. If you look at the "Sticky - Vintage Hamilton Collector's Reference - Models and Catalogs" thread, check out page 15 of the 1938 catalog. Probably originally came as pictured, with either a brown leather or pigskin strap. It is interesting that a watch that was advertised as having the potential of an inscription on the flip side of the reversible body, would instead have the inscription of the case back. Don't know what "White Club" refers to.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the information, it also has engraving on the flip side of the watch as well. It looks like this might be a valuable watch, well worth having it cleaned and a new crystal installed. I can't afford to fix them all up so I pick and choose.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow, after some searching around the internet, I think I may have to list this one on eBay. It might just get me enough to buy that vintage Tudor that I have my eye on. :biggrin:

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
If you don't mind me asking? Where did you find it? Auction, flea market, antique shop? Those stories are always intriguing to other collectors, especially when it comes to a watch most will never see in person. :wink:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I picked this up from a watchmakers estate in a bag of old mixed watches. This was by far the most interesting of the bunch, I believe there were about 35 watches in the bag, most were Elgins, this Hamilton and a few Walthams. I reall don't know how much I have into this watch but it would have to be just pennies. I spent about $300 that day and I came away with 12 quart sized freezer bags full of watches and parts. None of the stuff I picked up was to keep, I just picked up the bag to list them on eBay to supplement my watch buying hobby. If I can get a crystal and a new leather band on this Otis today I plan to list it tonight with a Buy it Now price of $700. If not I will list it tomorrow. I could not believe what I saw when I saw one had sold for $2000 on ebay just 2 days ago. It appeared to be in somewhat better shape than mine, and it had less engraving, so I am guessing that $700 is a fair price.

·
Registered
3,613 Posts
I've seen another Otis on eBay with the White Club engraving. I thought this may have been that one. I passed on it because I didn't know what the White Club was.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Wow, congratulations on the find!

Just make sure you don't limit your upside. If your case doesn't have any wear, it might be more coveted than you think and might warrant an open auction. You could always list with a BIN later. :thumbup1:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've seen another Otis on eBay with the White Club engraving. I thought this may have been that one. I passed on it because I didn't know what the White Club was.
The only reference I can find is a Gentalmen's Club in London, of course I am still digging on that one. It is interesting to know that there is more than one with this engraving.It could be that that the watch was given with membership. Now if I could just find out what that membership was all about.

·
Premium Member
2,689 Posts
The only reference I can find is a Gentalmen's Club in London, of course I am still digging on that one. It is interesting to know that there is more than one with this engraving.It could be that that the watch was given with membership. Now if I could just find out what that membership was all about.
Before anyone gets TOO excited, THAT London Gentleman's Club is FAR different than the term often means today. :lol: For this "club", one would think that the silk robe would be all that was required for admittance... perhaps the watch was for more formal get togethers?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I sold this watch

To all who were hopful that I would list the Otis on eBay, someone made me an offer I could not refuse so it is on its way to a new home. I have to say this is the kind of find that makes this hobby so much fun, and now I get to buy that Tudor I have been wanting.:biggrin:

·
Premium Member
2,689 Posts
Probably less than what it could've fetched on eBay, though. As long as you're happy.
AGREED!! If the front was unengraved without initials as it appears from the small posted photos, I was prepered to pay a very fair price. It likely would have sold for more than $2000 of last week if you'd have given it a chance.

·
Premium Member
1,643 Posts
AGREED!! If the front was unengraved without initials as it appears from the small posted photos, I was prepered to pay a very fair price.
Rick - As John mentioned above - and as I think can be seen in one of the three images; there is an engraving across the base of the cover.

Time I fessed up as well - it was me that made the offer that John accepted. I was very surprised to find it was still available; 23 hours had elapsed after John announced his intention to sell.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Specially since you need to be a stainless steel patron member or above to discuss such things...

:confused1:

... not that I really care, just saying.

Reactions: Vintagehamiltons

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
I have no problem with paying patrons posting an alert in this forum that they have watches listed in the Sales Forum, but it's not fair for someone new to the forum "innocently" mentioning that they have one to sell. Our mods do a great job and give lots of leeway, but this area needs extra attention. We don't need JBHII making it difficult to have open discussions. Just sayin'.

·
Premium Member
2,689 Posts
I have no problem with paying patrons posting an alert in this forum that they have watches listed in the Sales Forum, but it's not fair for someone new to the forum "innocently" mentioning that they have one to sell. Our mods do a great job and give lots of leeway, but this area needs extra attention. We don't need JBHII making it difficult to have open discussions. Just sayin'.
Especially since a mod bought it!! :lol: Though, I MUST admit that I had PM'd him also... but we were just unable to speak before it was sold as I was away from contact until too late last night. Oh well, my loss... I'm glad someone here who will appreciate it got it. :thumbup1:

(And I'm sure that the people of The Congo will appreciate seeing a watch from well-known, KKK-sponsored, white-supremist hate group being worn in public.) :lol:

(GETTING COAT)

·
Premium Member
2,689 Posts
Rick - As John mentioned above - and as I think can be seen in one of the three images; there is an engraving across the base of the cover.
I could not tell for sure... and I wanted to speak with John to confirm. I knew that it was on the back, but I was not sure it was on the cover.

(YES, my last post was my BAD attempt at a joke... I doubt if Stales' life will be in (much) jeopardy.)

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Well, if he's like me he's probably thinking, "Yeah, well, I stole that watch so who's got the last laugh?" And if he's really upset, he's a moderator and can just delete our posts.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts