WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I am 24 years old and just graduated a very academically intense program. My family has told me they will buy me a Rolex for graduation I Just have to Choose the one!

This is an amazing gift and I am very blessed. I would like to pick a watch that is stylish for my age but will also be sylish as I mature.

My budget is around 5-8k.

I was looking at the submariner with the blue ring... Or the GMT 2. I don't really understand the difference between the two... And no I will not be diving or using it for any intense environments. This will be my baby that I take out to a fancy dinner!

Would I have to go used at that price range? Where can I buy the watch from? All my friends are telling me that Rolex is for old me but I can't get enough of them haha

Thanks!

·
Registered
643 Posts

Your selection is amazing ... both of them is very special

I will choose the blue Submariner for my first Rolex's if i must choose from the selections , the black GMT will make feel boring faster than amazing blue one .
But it's very personal , you will choose with your own decision , anyway both of them is a GREAT WATCH ... Good luck :thumbup1:

·
Registered
20,788 Posts
I would like to pick a watch that is stylish for my age but will also be sylish as I mature.
All my friends are telling me that Rolex is for old me but I can't get enough of them haha
Either one will do that. And neither is "old" for any age. They're both GREAT watches, and I've owned both the Submariner and the GMT.

My budget is around 5-8k.

Would I have to go used at that price range? Where can I buy the watch from?
It's extremely unlikely you'll be able to find a new one in this price. The gold & steel versions retail around $13K, so finding one for 40% and more off will be virtually impossible unless your family owns a Rolex dealership. Finding preowned versions in this price range is doable, though it'll be closer to the top end of the $8k. Now if you're looking at the all steel version, you can get those new in the price range you've stated. But not the steel & gold. As to where to buy preowned, by best experience is with the sales forums on the various watch forums. You can try ours here to see if anyone is selling one, as well as the other forums. If you want to get a good idea of a fair price, head over to eBay, and do a search for completed auctions. Look at the ones that have sold and see what they're selling for. There should be plenty there, so you should get a good idea of the selling prices. Just remember, always buy the seller, not the goods. Check references, look at hi-res pictures, and as always if it looks too good to be true it probably is.

I was looking at the submariner with the blue ring... Or the GMT 2. I don't really understand the difference between the two...
The difference is pretty simple. The GMT has a 4th hand for telling the time in a 2nd timezone while the Submariner has a deeper depth rating and a clasp with a divers extension since it's a dive watch. The GMT's bezel has a 24 hour markings for the 2nd time zone, while the Sub has a 'standard' 60 minute divers bezel. Other than that, they're basically the same watch. Either one would be a great watch to wear out.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Just get a new Submariner 116610LN w/ the Black Ceramic Bezel. It's not flashy like those two tone gold watches you mentioned but it's much more versatile. This watch can go anywhere and do anything. At home in jeans or a suit. If it's just not flashy enough then get the GMT Master II it has polished links and it is a little more dressy.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I guess if you look at my avatar, you won't be surprised that my pick would be the 2/tone, Blue Dial Sub. In my opinion and arguably, its the best looking sub Rolex makes. Of course for extreme versatility, I would go with the SS/Black dial Sub or Sea Dweller.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I hear the words "a watch stylish for my age and stylish when I mature". To me, no Rolex is as timelesss as the classic yellow gold President. You can pick up an 18038 for under $8k. I've owned many, and they've never gotten old to look at. They are world-class elegant and bring you a sence of pride every time you look at it. But if you get ambitious, buy the Masterpiece. :D

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.