WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello there I am new to this site and like what I am seeing very much! I am looking for a new watch and want to spend around $200 give or take. I do have a style of watch in mind that will work well as an every day user aswell as look nice when I need to dress up. I don't need any type of "dive" watches or crazy chronograph models with rotating bezels and huge faces. I am mainly looking for something sleek, comfortable and able to tell the time and date.

As far as power I am open to opinions, I know there are battery, solar, movement, automatic powered watches and im not very educated so I dont know what works well and what I should be looking for. I will give you guys a list of my MUST haves and you can make some suggestions from there. I am not partial to swiss, german, british or asian, I just want the best quality watch for around $200.

1. Must have a metal band, I dont like leather or rubber.
2. Must have a second hand, I am a firefighter and need a second hand for taking pulses.
3. Must be water proof to say 30m or so, I wont be diving but would like to swim or be able to get it wet.
4. I dont like when the crown knob is too big, I find it jabbs my hand and hurts after a while. I like when the watch head had two lugs on either side of the crown so it doesnt stick out too far.
5. I like having the actual numbers on the face or at least a 12,3,6 and 9. I can deal with just marks too but absolutely NO roman numerals.
6. I like all silver color or brushed matte silver, no gold or dark titanium please.

I am open to all your opinions but this is the general look I am trying to get. A comfortable every day user that I can wear dress up as well. Thanks

·
Banned
1,212 Posts
You have a lot of options, this is always a good watch. It's an orient blue mako and has a Japanese in-house automatic movement. Tough, good looking. And good quality. Now you say you need a second hand. Does it née to tick 1 time per second? Because automatic (or any mechanical watches for that matter) have smooth sweeping second hands. The ones in your price range mostly are 21,600 (6 ticks per second) you might want a quartz watch. In that case, I would buy a seiko. I'll do a search for a quartz seiko that fits what you want.

Attachments

·
Banned
1,212 Posts
Here is a nice seiko quartz. These images are all borrowed from the Interwebs. It's a bit more difficult to find a watch like what your looking for with Arabic numerals

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Second hand...

I do indeed need a second hand but it doesnt need to "tick" for each second, a smooth sweeping second hand is just fine. I also changed my requirements while I do like to see all the numbers I am ok with maybe a 12, 3, 6 and 9 or even just marks if there nice but NO roman numerals.

Question: How is the Seiko 5 Automatic powered? Movement? Is it as good a others "ecodrive" or Kinetic"

·
Banned
1,212 Posts
I do indeed need a second hand but it doesnt need to "tick" for each second, a smooth sweeping second hand is just fine. I also changed my requirements while I do like to see all the numbers I am ok with maybe a 12, 3, 6 and 9 or even just marks if there nice but NO roman numerals.

Question: How is the Seiko 5 Automatic powered? Movement? Is it as good a others "ecodrive" or Kinetic"
the Seiko 5 is an in-house automatic movement :thumbup1: as good? its the same company, just different, eco drive is citizen (Seiko's sister company) and runs by solar power, the kinetic is a quartz movement with a rotor that spins and generates electricity to charge the battery. an automatic has a rotor that winds a main spring and the movement is mechanical and has no electric parts. to determine "as good" is up to you. theres plenty of threads on that subject.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
That's news to me that Seiko and Citizen are sister companies...and I thought they were competitors :confused1:

Anyhow as a fireman I'm surprised your not wearing a G-Shock...you can get an Digital/Analog one for less than $200. Most firemen want a watch they can beat the tar out of.

In that case I would also go quartz for ruggedness. Seiko 5s are autos.

The Citizen and Seiko solar are good quartz watches, capacitors seem to last longer than standard battery quartz.

I think you should just wear the ESQ you have until it falls apart, what you seem to want is close to what you've got.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
The Seiko watches you have picked are all good quality watches and fit your requirements. It is hard to just pick a watch as a suggestion, so the best advice would be pick a quality brand in your price range that appeals to you, look for a water resistant watch around 100 meter, which would be good for swimming. In my opinion either quartz or mechanical would work for you, it would just be your personal preference. In a work watch My requirement is comfort and lightness which kinda points to quartz. A lot of people like the mechanical but in your line of work a quartz might hold up better.
As far as brand names that is all a matter of opinions and everyone has one. For me in no particular order the watches that come to mind in your price and I own and would recommend are; Seiko, Citizen, Bulova, Hamilton, Timex, Helix, Tissot. Those are just a few but surely there is something that would appeal to you in those groups. One more thing, a quartz watch is usually a little less expensive then mechanical...good luck

·
Registered
520 Posts
I agree Seiko is a good way to go, and from what you describe, I think quartz is your best bet. I would add that you should look for a watch with a (synthetic) sapphire crystal, for your active life & profession, you will most likely scratch any mineral crystal... and once you scratch a mineral crystal, it's impossible to remove them. With that in mind, I suggest a Seiko SGG715P1 as pictured. They run around $100-$150 on line (even from authorized dealers), have 100m water resistance, and a sapphire crystal - it's also available with a silver dial, if you prefer. :thumbup1:

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Educate me...

Ok so are quartz watches generally powered from a battery? Are they typically lighter and more durable than a mechanical powered watch, is that why you guys stated a quartz may hold up better?

I am on board with a good quartz watch, I do prefer a simple analog to anything digital. Just one crown for the time change and date is ideal I dont need any alarms or chronographs.

As far as Seiko's go which ones are there quartz watches, I see a bunch of Solar ones are they quartz with no battery? So what are my options for a good quality $200 quartz watch with a stainless band and analog face. Please show me some good quality options. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
15,657 Posts
Okay...

All quartz watches are battery powered!

They are lighter. The quartz module weighs less than all those gears and funny-shaped pieces of metal. And if the case is a composite plastic or carbon fibre, they're even lighter. Quartz modules can withstand everyday knocks and bumps MUCH better than mechanical movements. Plus, they're cheaper and don't need cleaning and oiling every 5 years...just a battery swap.

Just about every seiko you see in the shopping malls is quartz. You really don't see mechanical Seikos at all unless you go online. And solar watches DO have batteries. It's just that the batteries are being recharged by the dials which are actually solar panels. The only time these need to get changed is if you're in the habit of always letting your watch become completely drained of power before re-charging. I actually store my solar watches on an east or west-facing window sill so that they are ALWAYS exposed to the daylight.

I would recommend the Citizen BM 6060-57F

Citizen quality, overall, is just as good as Seiko. I have found that on a month-to-month basis that Citizens are slightly more accurate.
It has a titanium case which, as you probably know, is lighter than steel and doesn't rust.
It has the bracelet you are looking for.
It at least has a 6, 9, and 12, and a sweep second hand.
It is water resistant.
There are protectors on either side of the crown. Not only do they protect...they aid in comfort if and when you bend your hand into an upward position.
You can see it at Amazon for about $150

One last thing. If you decide on a Seiko avoid the "Seiko 5" line of watches. They have a 5 in a shield under the Seiko name.

This is Seiko's "introductory" line of watches, and though they look great, I find mine to be somewhat unreliable. There is better quality available out there for basically the same money.

Reactions: a1watch

·
Registered
520 Posts
In general quartz watches are more accurate, less expensive, and less maintenance intensive than their mechanical counterparts. Mechanical watches (either manually wound, or "automatic" - meaning they wind with the movement of your wrist), can last longer (like generations), but only if maintained reasonably (like a cleaning & lube every several years), and can almost always be restored, where a broken quartz movement is usually scrapped. IMO, at the lower end of the watch spectrum, quartz models offer a better value, and the main reason for choosing a mechanical watch is sentimental or esthetic... as prices go up, quality of mechanical movements improves, and the subtle qualities of longevity, and mechanical precision become bigger considerations. So, for most people, who aren't too concerned with the type of movement in their watch, are usually better off with a good quartz than a mediocre mechanical. As for types of quartz, there are basically three. Most common is a battery operated watch, with battery life ranging from 1-10 years, depending on batt. type & movement design. Second is a self recharging system that consists of a little swinging weight (just like an autowind mech watch) attached to a generator, as the watch moves it "automatically" recharges its batteries eliminating the need for replacements... Seiko calls this "kinetic", other brands exist, each with their own name. The third system (mostly used by Citizen & referred to as "Eco-drive") uses solar cells to recharge the batteries. All three systems work well, arguably equally well. I rather like the kinetic system, as I've had some issues with earlier Eco-drives that didn't generate enough power from reasonable light, but I understand they have improved. Then, I don't consider changing batteries to be too much of a problem either.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Could you save up another couple months and get the budget up to $500? That would GREATLY increase your options.

My suggestion would be to check out Luminox or Traser.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Just get yourself Casio G-Shock all cop's and firefighter's have them.
These are very good and this comment is actually very true, but the OP has stated that he wants more of a conventional sleek styled watch and does not want a movable bezel or chronograph

·
Banned
1,212 Posts
a1watch said:
These are very good and this comment is actually very true, but the OP has stated that he wants more of a conventional sleek styled watch and does not want a movable bezel or chronograph
How about a G-shock AND a seiko automatic? :lol:

·
Registered
665 Posts
The Seiko Monster Dive watches would have easily covered the main points (bracelet, easy to read display, sleek looking, etc) with the benefits of an automatic and no-worry water resistance (I've had more than one 30m water resistant watch fog up while washing dishes). The only strike against it is a rotary bezel which one can easily ignore for the watch's existence. Also, there are many worthwhile watches out there that only come with a strap -- the latter can easily be swapped out with a 3rd party bracelet to broaden one's options and maximize bang / buck.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts