WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have this Elgin that I recently purchased, and it has a 673 movement, but no serial number. Any ideas? I have found one that looks similar but it's from 1955, and has 21 jewels vs 17 jewels on this one.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Elgin 'Curtis'. Here it is in a 1954 Christmas ad.

The absence of a serial number places it 1954 or later, but not too much later, since the 15/0 movements were superceded by the 13/0s around 1956.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Gene! Great find! I was thinking the same thing about the serial number, but trying to track down an ad was proving to be quite frustrating! Any sources that you would recommend when looking up ads? I'm still pretty new to the research on these things.

·
Registered
4,531 Posts
I have this Elgin that I recently purchased, and it has a 673 movement, but no serial number. Any ideas? I have found one that looks similar but it's from 1955, and has 21 jewels vs 17 jewels on this one.

Welcome to the American PsychoSoAnt!

That is a very cool Elgin you have there...

The font on the dial is just awesome.

Clean movement too.

You will find LOTS of Elgin fans here... relax, hang out and enjoy the Forum,
thanks for showing that off:thumbup1:

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Thanks Gene! Great find! I was thinking the same thing about the serial number, but trying to track down an ad was proving to be quite frustrating! Any sources that you would recommend when looking up ads? I'm still pretty new to the research on these things.
I search books.google.com using queries like 'Elgin Watch Life', because somebody has scanned a bunch of Life magazines from the 1930s through the 1960s. There are multiple ads each year from the late 30s through about 1954, then less frequently after that.

The best ones are the Christmas ads - they usually have a dozen or so models.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
I wonder if anyone still has the matching bracelets for that one? I tried once checking Scot's stock at Times of Plenty, but there are SO MANY 18mm bracelets, it takes forever.

·
Registered
4,531 Posts
I wonder if anyone still has the matching bracelets for that one? I tried once checking Scot's stock at Times of Plenty, but there are SO MANY 18mm bracelets, it takes forever.
Scott is a wonderful guy and I talk to him all the time.
Send him a PM and tell him what you are looking for and I bet he either has
it or will keep a good eye out for one... his selection is unreal!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the welcome! I have found that I have quite a special soft spot for Elgins of all types myself. You'll definitely be seeing quite a few more from me, that's for sure.

Thanks for the info on the resources, I will definitely try that next time!

If anyone does happen to find a cache of the matching bands, definitely let me know! They're very unique! Thanks everyone for the warm welcome and information. I'm really glad to be here. :thumbup1:

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Great. Just what I need, more competition. :sneaky2:

Just kidding! It's great to have more Elgin aficionados here! For a while it felt like I was the only Elgin guy in a sea of Hamilton fans! The similar model you mentioned is the Lord Elgin 'Stratford', which also has a matching bracelet. I really, really like the unified design of those two watches! The Stratford has a somewhat cooler dial, with diamond shaped appliques at 3 and 9 with the numerals cut our of them.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Gene, that's exactly the one I was referring to. I have probably 5 or 6 Elgin's at the moment, and more to come I'm sure. I really like the bands on them as well. Something you just don't see often now.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts