WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone help me identify the Rolex I recently inherited from my father. The research I have indicates a 1966-67 date, however the pictures for the Oyster Perpetual Explorer do not match what I see online. All online pictures indicate a round "peace" symbol on the hour hand, however mine does not and it is a strait hour hand with a slight indentation in it.

The serial number I have is 1016 2126150. I understand that it was purchased during the Vietnam War in Saigon at the U.S. Military base.

Any help anyone could give me would be great.

Thank you

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Looks like an "Explorer". An iconic Rolex.
Claim to fame was this watch was (allegedly) worn by Edmund Hillary on his ascent to Mt. Everest.

Forgot to add; the hands may have been changed at some point.
It would be advisable to have the watch serviced as this is a nice heirloom.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I echo Skypilot's suggestion to wait for an expert, but a quick check around could help you learn a bit more on your own before waiting for someone to happen upon this thread. The actual serial number for the watch is 2126150 presumably, which does seem to date to 1966. The 1016 is the Explorer model it's a member of. Googling this number will bring up a number of instances/pictures if you'd like to compare. Notably, on your watch, the hands are not the standard Mercedes hands you'd expect on an Explorer. The very earliest Explorers don't have Mercedes hands, but they also don't have the hands your watch does, and even so (as far as I can tell) a 1016 is definitely supposed to have them. That there appears to be a significant gap between the bezel and the rest of the case on the 12 o'clock side of the watch is also strange looking, at least on the picture.

I won't embarrass myself trying to make a conclusion with my limited knowledge, but feel free to do a bit of research yourself.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Looks like an "Explorer". An iconic Rolex.
Claim to fame was this watch was (allegedly) worn by Edmund Hillary on his ascent to Mt. Everest.

Forgot to add; the hands may have been changed at some point.
It would be advisable to have the watch serviced as this is a nice heirloom.
Actually, Hillary wore a Smiths, Tengen Norgay the Sherpa wore the Rolex.

X2 on replaced hands

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone for the input. I have spent days researching this watch online and have had no success. I talked to my Father when he gave it to me and he stated the hands have never been replaced and it never had Mercedes hands on it (I showed him the picture). The other difference I found with this watch vs. the other Explorers is the writing on above the 6 is different. It says "Officially Certified (first line) Chronometer (2nd line). Can anyone recommend an expert I could ask a few questions.

Thanks again for everyones help!

cvhdvd

·
Super Moderator
16,892 Posts
...That there appears to be a significant gap between the bezel and the rest of the case on the 12 o'clock side of the watch is also strange looking, at least on the picture. ...
Don't worry about that "gap" too much. It's not the case- it's actually the end piece of the bracelet.
I don't know how worn the bracelet is bit I'll bet the gap would go away if the bracelet weren't folded over like it is in the picture.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
I have to agree with Adam something is amiss. At best the hands have been replaced with the incorrect hands, and the dial replaced. With the age the dial would have a nice tan patina, while this example is greenish. That indicates a redial or re-lume. Font on the dial doesn't look right either. At worst.... Well, we will hope for the best.

To be 100% sure, take it to a Rolex dealer that has a watchmaker on staff to take a look at the movement.

Chris

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.