WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Great to find this forum. I bought this watch several years back and can't find any numbers on it. It seems to be a pro diver of sorts. It has red wings on the face, is a mid-size, Japan movement is indicated. Can't find or don't know where to look for model numbers. Looks and runs great. Any assistance with this would be greatly appreciated. As this is my first ever post I'm crossing my fingers as I attempt to attach a picture of the watch face.

Attachments

·
Banned
1,216 Posts
Welcome to WTF. I think it is a invicta pro diver 89XX series. not sure exactly what. hope I helped somewhat.:blush:

·
Registered
587 Posts
You should find the model numbers on the case back. Usually 4 numerals. Some models don't have the model #'s on them, like my 8926. I got that about 8 yrs ago. I don't know if they put the #'s on the newer ones. Your best bet is to google as much info as you can (pro diver, bezel color, movnt, dial color,size..etc.) good luck on your search.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Any Input on the Red Wings

I meant to ask. Can anybody shed light on the red wings on the face...don't see that on any of the new watches...does that help date it at all?

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
Silent Sam seems to know a lot about the older Invicta's perhaps he'll chime in and shed some light or perhaps you can shoot him a PM. Your correct, none of their recent watches (that I can find) have red wings.

·
Banned
737 Posts
I wish I could help here. I've never colllected any of the PD quartz models, so I'm not familiar with the line. Mine are all automatics. I have a hunch though. I think the red angel wings designate the Japanese quartz models as opposed to the Swiss quartz models which have gold or silver wings. This is just a hunch though based on a somewhat foggy recollection of seeing this in the past.

As others have said, the model number should be on the case back. The first two numbers in the series may shed some light on the watch's approximate age. Lower ones are from earlier models. Invicta has also updated the numbers on perennnial models. The 40mm 8926 designation is the most recent number for this long running model. Some earlier 38mm versions have a different number.

Some Invicta PD models have a European style four digit date stamped on the end links between the lugs. The first two digits are the year. The second two are the month. I'm wearing a PD Abyss day/date automatic today. The date on this watch is 07/02. So it was assembled in February of '07.

The watch box styles offer clues as well. Invicta changed their standard box style in 2003-2005 from a yellow vinyl covered box with black lettering and logos to the present all yellow clamshell box. I've also seen white and black boxes as well. Specialty models like some of the pre-2005 Unitas powered mechanicals may come in their own unique box styles like a flat bracelet type.

Anyway, if all else fails, try Invicta themselves. The CS people may be able to help you. Give them a call. Good luck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Appreciate the Input!

You guys are great! If it helps, the original box looked like a miniature crate with a sliding lid...the back doesn't have numbers but has the logo and then around the outside stamped water resistant and stainless steel. I've emailed Invicta CS twice with pictures and got zero CS. No reply. Anybody have an email address that they have actually received a reply?

·
Banned
737 Posts
I've never seen this style box, but have seen references to it. It is pre-2000. So if the box is the original, your PD model is a fairly early one. Measure the case from 8 to 2 o'clock. I'll bet it is well under 40MM. I'm guessing 36MM. The bracelet links should be about 20MM wide. The case size is a big clue. Pre-2000 PDs were 38mm or smaller. This is typical for men's watches of that era. Anyway, enjoy your watch.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Watch measurements

Silent Sam I had measured the face and Size is 44.5mm top to bottom (12 o'clock to 6)between the bracelets/band and then 32mm left edge to top of stem (9 o'clock to 3). I'm thinking it was new in the late 90s. Thanks again for the discussion and input!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Oh wow, I have one of these! Buried in my collection and I kinda forgot about it. I remember the red wings were a selling point to the seller and apparently a lot of the other bidders on ebay. I let that dictate my actions and ended up winning the thing. Probably paying more than I should have but once the auction fever hits,it's hard to stop. I was pleased it was in mint condition and decided to keep it in its pristine state and not wear it. To heck with that! Ima get it out,probably replace the battery and size it and wear the **** thing.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I too have a submariner style. Blue face with red wings. It came in a yellow vinyl covered case. Code on back is 9310. I have no idea age of watch. Runs great though

1 - 14 of 14 Posts