WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello All,

I have received the following watch from my Godfather who passed recently...

its a Longines very old and fairly poor shape (however it works). I took it to a jewerly store who offered me 150 bucks for it as is. I said no thanks and found that this watch is 14K gold base and the wristband says 10k...but I dont know if its plated or not.

QUESTION: Can someone look at the picture and tell me more or less the value (ballpark figure is excellent...since I know next to nothing about watches). Also anyway to identify it...I can't open it since i dont have experience opening watches.

Thank you,

Ken

Attachments

·
Banned
28,405 Posts
Hi Ken. If you can pop the back off we can tell you the year it was made. Just shoot a pic of the movement that's clear enough to see the serial number.

You were right to walk out of that store. It looks like the case is 14ct solid old and therefore worth twice what they offered in scrap value alone.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have no experience, tools or knowledge on how to open a watch...and if I try to open it with regular screwdriver I may damage it.
I sent the pictures to an authorized dealer via email...I'll have to see what they respond.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
The band is a Speidel Twist-O-Flex with 1/20 10k gold-filled tops, the model name is Sun Valley.
It should have a date stamped on or near the end.
This won't date the watch though, as the band is likely newer than the watch.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the information guys. Just tried to open it with a screwdriver and scratched the back casing a bit...no more of that.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts