WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
so I ask the seller whats on the back " Hamilton automatic on the dial- back waterproof steel back bezel 10microns of 18k on base metal ". why do I get the feeling Im getting a frankenham. if I do my fault he didnt have movement pics and inside case pics. My bad, if I don't see swiss at the six on the dial im gonna get tight. I wonder if I could return it for not as described supposed to be a hamilton watch not a franken watch.

·
Super Moderator
16,888 Posts
The evidence points towards a Frankenwatch, but I'd appreciate a second opinion. You have the dial of the 1957-1959 Hamilton KINEMATIC but...
(1) The case and back appear poorly mated to each other- something Hamilton did not do.
(2) The lugs are wrong. They should be thinner and arc towards the strap.
(3) "HAMILTON" should be stamped somewhere near the edge of the caseback.
(4) Casebacks in the late 50s were not screw downs. They either were pried off or you got at the movement by taking off the crystal and removing the movement from the front of the watch!

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
I'll add to what CometHunter said with "10 microns of 18k on base metal" is electroplate. Hamilton didn't start using electroplate until the 70's and by that time, the dials were marked "self-winding" rather than automatic. The case back and the lettering on it are not something that I've seen from any Hamilton model. It is a Kinematic dial but certainly not the correct Hamilton case and 99.999% sure not a Hamilton case at all (even from another era).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.