WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
In an effort, during a recent trip to Geneva, to locate anyone selling Bulova watches , I came up totally empty handed. Go ahead, browse the retail stores there. Not a single Bulova or Accutron in sight. In fact, I could only count about 6 marquis brands and about 8 secondary brands of Swiss watches in the entire city.
The nearest Bulova contact on the ground, claimed to be incommunicado till 11/28, the exact date of my return.
So my question is this. Is Bulova a Swiss brand or not?

·
Registered
347 Posts
In an effort, during a recent trip to Geneva, to locate anyone selling Bulova watches , I came up totally empty handed. Go ahead, browse the retail stores there. Not a single Bulova or Accutron in sight. In fact, I could only count about 6 marquis brands and about 8 secondary brands of Swiss watches in the entire city.
The nearest Bulova contact on the ground, claimed to be incommunicado till 11/28, the exact date of my return.
So my question is this. Is Bulova a Swiss brand or not?
No, Bulova is a Japanese brand. Wholly owned by Citizen. It is a shell of the former great company it used to be.

·
Registered
247 Posts
No, Bulova is a Japanese brand. Wholly owned by Citizen. It is a shell of the former great company it used to be.
I have a different take on that, Bulova is still US headquartered and run by an independent CEO. Offcourse Citizen now owns them but that doesn't make them Japanese as much as Jaguar/Land Rover can't be called Indian brands just because an Indian company owns them or Rolls Royce,Mini are German because BMW owns them. It the time of globalisation and it doesn't really matter who owns these iconic companies. What matters is that they survive because if they don't our vintage collections won't be attractive to the next generation. No one wants to collect anything from a brand that doesn't exist anymore.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
No one wants to collect anything from a brand that doesn't exist anymore.
Not exactly true. There are plenty examples of high priced collectables of all sorts made by companies that no longer exist. You do have a good point about brand survival and globalization.

·
Banned
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No problem that the thrust of the thread veered off track from my OP.
But please don't get me started on the subject of globalization. It's a very sore subject and I believe that globalization is a return to Empirialism.
So i wonder if my contact Herschel Hiat, Executive Vice President National Accounts at Bulova is a good POC states-wise?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts