any clever suggestions?

i think i got to cut the springbar
but how without mucking up the case

bw
the dumbest strap installer

·
Registered
739 Posts
Is there any room at all on either end between the tube and the lug, just enough to squeeze the springbar tool's tiny fork-end in?

If there is, you should be able to use a springbar tool to depress one of the ends of the springbar into the tube just enough to get that end of the strap free. It'll take some twistin' and turnin', but I've done it before while uninstalling straps with tubes and springbars (though when I do, it's usually on my tungsten M25 so no worries at all about blemishing the finish :thumbup1: ).

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
springbar

gonna try agin

i have magnifier lite, loop etc

can get the small spring bar in but nothing to "depress"

only need the tubes 1/64th inch shorter LOL

·
Registered
155 Posts
I did this EXACT same thing on my M24... had to get someone to cut the tubes/spring bars. They ended up messing the strap up a bit, but no way to get the spring bar tool between the tube and the lug in my case...

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Use a Dremel tool with a thin cut-off blade OR a very small, hobbyist hack saw. If you mask off the strap and lugs and are careful, you should be ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,839 Posts
I have had this issue in the past and had to take me M6 to a watchmaker to do, and even he bent his tool in the process. Others here have had to bend and/or break the tube and bar to do it.

Good luck!!

·
Registered
532 Posts
Been there done that:sad:

I went to the jeweler, and he said only PAM's take the tubes, other watches don't, so you have to break them off, and wasn't even willing to do it.
I guess a danger of ruining something and being liable. So off I went to Lowe's to buy a 6" cutting pliers and a 6" needle nose pliers.
Some bending and twisting and cutting and it was off, basically you hope your strap is stronger than your spring bars, my strap has the scars to prove it's been through this, but they are on the back of it so you don't see it. Fortunate for me it was on Tungsten case so the watch laughed off any damage. Love how tough these are.

The moral of these stories is NEVER use tubes on a Lumtec, unless you want that strap on there forever, or don't mind destroying it to get it off.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I had this happen to me few months back. Use a cloth or something to wrap around and protect the strap. Then you'll need a pair of pliers. Simply grab over the the strap, near the spring bars, and give a decent twist. This should break the spring bar inside. I was able to take it off and save the strap. There wasnt too much damage to the strap and none to the watch.

·
Registered
274 Posts
>< Sorry this has happened. I hope the strap was not expensive. No room to work with. Might have to just cut the tube and spring bar in half on both sides :(

You could try to make a slot ( VERY CARFULLY) with maybe a mill from the edge of the strap 1/8 of an inch in and then use a dental tool to depress the spring bar to release the straps. I know I could do it if I had a mill and a super tiny end-mill.

You could do it with a dremel but you'd have to make a jig that would stop the dremel from dancing all over the place. I am pretty sure I could do it myself but I wouldn't do it without the jig.

You could also mount the watch in a drill press and find a drill bit that is the same size as the tube and drill almost all the way through, that would give you maybe enough room to slide the spring bar out.

Good luck man

·
Registered
44 Posts
Oh, Dental floss or fishing wire was also recommended to me. Slide it along the side and use it to suppress the spring bar. I havent tried this personally, I can only attest to the "plier" option working.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Oh, Dental floss or fishing wire was also recommended to me. Slide it along the side and use it to suppress the spring bar. I havent tried this personally, I can only attest to the "plier" option working.
^^^ recommended as the first thing to try before the more destructive methods. Good luck

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
bar

thanx so much guys
keep em coming

it is on a $275 Ted Su hornback ...

gonna call Lum Tec today and see if they have a remedy

also my local jeweler

my choice maybe to leave on till strap is toast, but LOL that will be a while

then i just have to buy another :)

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
strap

just spoke to lumtec

they have done this:

squeeze leather
cut tube
save strap

i am sending to them

by the time i buy tools and dink around
and my skill set, i am better sending to them

will post results

thanx for all your responses

bw

·
Registered
112 Posts
I had to do this once with another brand of watch when I used a tube spring bar. What I did was use a regular pair of wire cutters, and slid them between the leather and the lug, and snip! Came apart pretty easy.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hey I'm gonna get my M50 on Sunday morning (father's day). I like the band/strap it came with but would be interested to see how your M50 looks with that strap installed ("on" just sounded wrong behind strap). Any chance of a picture before its sent off?

Sorry for your issue.
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Lovely combination. Wear them both in good health. If it was me, I wouldn't be in a hurry to remove that lovely strap.

Reactions: small

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Lovely combination. Wear them both in good health. If it was me, I wouldn't be in a hurry to remove that lovely strap.
i hear ya
however i suffer from a little ADD

AND i just got a new silicone oyster in ORANGE
got it on my black dlc pam now, looks great

wanna see it on the Lum tec w/ the orange markings

will arrive at Lum Tec Monday
hope to have back tuesday with UNDAMAGED strap

will advise

bw

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.