WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am new here and new to watches. I am looking to buy my first actual watch. I want something that looks somewhat decent and is of good quality that would last me awhile. That's what brought me to the 8926.

Basically what I wanted to know is what your opinions of this watch is as a first watch and the quality/fit finish of these watches.

I'd also like to know if there is a way to add chain links and if so how much would it cost as I have rather large sized wrists, probably about 10 inch wrists give or take.

If anyone has any suggestions or ideas please feel free to post them and such I'll be on here for some time to come, great informative forum and website. :biggrin:

·
Super Moderator
15,828 Posts
Hi and welcome to WTF. Many people across the country have the 8926 as their first Invicta, if not their first "real" watch. It was, in fact, MY first Invicta- I bought it over a year ago and nothing so far has made me sorry I bought it. There are a couple bad stories about customer service after the sale, but as I said, all my Invictas are behaving as they should, and as a brand in general, they represent great value and bang-for-your-buck!
As for your thing about extra links, I'm sorry but I don't know- I have the exact opposite problem as my wrist is only about 6 5/8". Hopefully the next responder(s) can give help with extra links. You could also customize your watch with an after-market bracelet of your choosing- you wouldn't be the first. Good luck and lets us know how you fare in your quest.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have an 8926 and for the price it is a good reliable watch. For someone new to watches, it is a good place to start. My only concern is that if you have a 10 inch wrist it might be a little small on you. This watch is 40mm and nowadays it is considered on the small side. I have a 7.75" wrist and It fits me fine. As far as extra links, you can contact Invicta directly, but it might take awhile until you receive them. Good luck!!

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
Welcome to the forums! Glad to have ya.

The 8926 is the "Staple" so to speak of Invicta. A lot of members start off with it, myself included.

It's a pretty solid watch, and pretty tough. I have had no issues with mine at all since owning it. The newer ones come with the Flame Fusion Crystal which is suppose be better than the original mineral that it came with, adding to the toughness of it.

Getting extra links shouldn't be an issue. As someone already mentioned, Invicta will be your source for them, as their OEM bracelet is a little wider than most of the aftermarket's out there, and the links you find online will not fit.

Also, after you get the watch, you could post up on our Wanted to Buy forum that your looking for links for it and there may be a member willing to part with theirs.

Wanted To Buy (WTB) Forum

·
Registered
254 Posts
Hey, welcome to the forum.

I consider the 8926 to one of the "Big Three" affordable automatics, along with the Orient Mako and the Seiko Monster. It's a great watch to start a collection, with features that you won't find on any other watch in the price range. The Miyota 8215 movement is undisputedly one of the best, most durable, and most accurate on the market. I can't recall ever hearing about a legitimate complaint with an 8926 - and I actively read multiple forums daily.

As for the extra links, I have plenty. I'll just send 'em to you.

Good luck in your search.

·
Banned
964 Posts
Sounds like you picked the perfect watch to start and that model can be found everywhere including many local sellers. Looks like you already have an offer for extra links and liked mentioned just ask around theirs plenty of guys with unneeded extra links.

You may also want to get the 8926 and the 8928 this way you'll have two great watches with two classic looks.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow, thanks for the warm response guys. I really appreciate it. Seems like the Invicta forums are more friend than their customer service :biggrin: j/k.

Also I was wondering what places you guys would recommend to purchase Invictas? I was going to buy it off Amazon but I want to shop around abit first before I make my final decision.

For those who say this watch is abit small, Are there any other watches you would recommend that are a larger size that are dive rated? I work alot with marine life and am often in the water or near water.

If I could find out where I could get extra bracelet links for this watch or if I could maybe purchase another bracelet and swap the links. Do you think maybe any links from a watch store or retail store might work? I'd like it to match the original color that would be the problem. I wouldn't mind putting a 3rd party or aftermarket bracelet on it as long as it matched the watch color. I saw someone with a YouTube video that had a two tone bracelet that really went well with this model. I'm hoping to maybe replicate that look if I could.

Keep the responses coming. =) :thumbup1:

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
It sets the Day. It's adjusted independently of the date. Same on my Mako, This is the larger vers. I really want an orange dial one! :drool:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Nice, thanks for all the input guys. After several PMs with people and research/recommendations I am going to go with the Orient CEM75001B diver. I really like the extra large size of this watch and its design.

I am awaiting a email response from Orient on extra links to accommodate my rather large sized wrists. Hopefully they can send me some or allow me to purchase some for a reasonable price. Once I recieve confirmation from them on the bracelet questions that is most likely what I am going to purchase.

What do you guys think of Orient as a company?

Sorry I didn't mean to Hijack my own thread here. :laugh:

Alot to learn in the watch market. :001_tt1:

·
Registered
72 Posts
Great Choice

I am no means an expert, but, own about a dozen Orients. I have found that they are a great value, high quality and very durable. My favorites are the Beast. These are about 7 or 8 years old and run perfect.

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
I love my Orient. It's a step up in quality from my 8926. Very accurate and Orient makes their own movements too. Solid watch.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm still waiting to hear back from my question about the extra chain links for the bracelet to accommodate larger wrists. I left several messages on Thursday and Friday as well as email.

Hopefully they will get back to me soon, this doesn't really show much for them as a company. :001_rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
Orient Men's Black Mako Automatic Dive Watch CEM75001B

Instead of dealing or waiting on Orient. One of our sponsors sells this watch and he lists a phone number to call to for questions. Give them a call and see what they can do for extra links.

EDIT: I am calling them now to inquire. Will advise

OK spoke to Discount Watch Store, and he is going to check on the extra links, he didn't have any, but was going to see about getting some and get back with me on how much extra they would be.

·
Registered
6,084 Posts
Wow unreal, still no response yet. What's the deal with Orient?

Oh well, seemed too good to be true.
I ran into the same problem as you recently, I wanted to buy a specific watch and had a question or two and left messages and emailed and could not get a response.. another member let me in on what was happening with Orient USA.. seems that the entire company is one dude in California and a couple of guys in New York that run the web site.. I was given a direct phone number to the dude in California and he was very apologetic and answered all of my questions.. not a bad operation, just badly understaffed and overwhelmed. oh, they do have a service guy too..

when I ordered my first three Makos I filled out the "comments" box and told them I was afraid the bracelets would be too small for my 8 3/8" wrist and asked could they send extras with the Makos.. they sent extra links with the watches as I requested along with a pin pusher to resize the bracelet.. everything worked just great after I ordered but the communication before was non existent.

just tell them when you order that you need extras and they should send them with the watch..

did you say 10" wrist? the factory bracelets I've gotten on Orient divers range from fitting about 8.5" to 8.75" with each extra link adding just under 1/2" ..

I think you'll really like the Orient watch, I was blown away with the latest one I got from them..

diver88:thumbup1:

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
When I called Discount Watch Store, he took out one and measured it, and said it would fit an 8 1/4" wrist fine, and 8 1/2" wrist tight. He estimated you would need 4 or 5 extra links to fit a 10 inch wrist. Still waiting on if he can get the extra's

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I ran into the same problem as you recently, I wanted to buy a specific watch and had a question or two and left messages and emailed and could not get a response.. another member let me in on what was happening with Orient USA.. seems that the entire company is one dude in California and a couple of guys in New York that run the web site.. I was given a direct phone number to the dude in California and he was very apologetic and answered all of my questions.. not a bad operation, just badly understaffed and overwhelmed. oh, they do have a service guy too..

when I ordered my first three Makos I filled out the "comments" box and told them I was afraid the bracelets would be too small for my 8 3/8" wrist and asked could they send extras with the Makos.. they sent extra links with the watches as I requested along with a pin pusher to resize the bracelet.. everything worked just great after I ordered but the communication before was non existent.

just tell them when you order that you need extras and they should send them with the watch..

did you say 10" wrist? the factory bracelets I've gotten on Orient divers range from fitting about 8.5" to 8.75" with each extra link adding just under 1/2" ..

I think you'll really like the Orient watch, I was blown away with the latest one I got from them..

diver88:thumbup1:
When I called Discount Watch Store, he took out one and measured it, and said it would fit an 8 1/4" wrist fine, and 8 1/2" wrist tight. He estimated you would need 4 or 5 extra links to fit a 10 inch wrist. Still waiting on if he can get the extra's
Oh I see, thanks for the input guys. I thought about Discount watch store, they are more money actually if you order directly with the 50% off coupon and Orient has some special running if you order today you get a 2nd watch for free.

I would need a one of those pin pushers as well since I dont have any. Yea I'm about a 10 inch wrist. I have to measure it again to be 100% certain but its always nice to have extra links just incase you need them in the future. I normally wear a 3xl glove. Big hands and wrists.

Not really sure what I should do here, I kind of want to buy a watch but I dont want to buy it and get stuck with a watch that doesn't fit me.

Also another reason is sometimes I like to wear a watch over a dive suit or a jacket in the wintertime. I know the Rolex has the extendable bracelet feature I find that really awesome, I wish more companies did that like Rolex did.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts