WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
I must confess I am not a fanatical watch collector or trader, so my questions may appear boring or stupid to some of you so I apologise in advance if I’m just another newbie with the same old questions.

Around 1984 I bought a gentlemen’s Omega Seamaster automatic in Yellow gold plate with a gilt face. It has the number 784 stamped into the bracelet where it joins the body and the number 1432 stamped into the stainless steel watch back. I know the watch is a genuine Omega as I have owned it from new, bought it from a proper jewellers and I have the box and paperwork for it.

What I don’t know and can’t seem to find on the internet is what the model is and what the current value for it would be. The watch is in need of attention as when you change the date, after a few turns, the crown seems to disengage and stops turning the date. I am wondering if it is worth getting it serviced but if the value of it is very low, it probably isn't.

Does anyone know anything about this model and what it is worth?

The other watch I bought for my wife second hand so know nothing at all about it’s history or even what model it is as there seems to be nothing on the outside to identify it and I don’t really want to pull its back off unless I really have to. Any ideas or info on model and value of this one would be appreciated too.
Kind Regards
Bob

Gents watch 1
Gents watch 2
Gents watch 3
Gents watch 4
Gents watch 5

Ladies watch 1
Ladies watch 2
Ladies watch 3
Ladies watch 4

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Was it something I said or the way I said it? or do you more knowledgable folks really have no idea what my watches are?

·
Super Moderator
15,643 Posts
Hello Bob, and our apologies for the delay in your answer. It's nothing you said or did...traffic is a little slow in some of the forums right now.

Really, you already have all the information you need. You have "Omega Seamaste quartz" mens and womens watches. If you wanted to be formal about it, you would add the phrase "reference XXX.XXXXX" which identifies the specific quartz module (movement). And you would indeed have to remove the back of the case in order to find that number.

Sadly, the re-sale value on these is indeed low. There is hardly any collector interest at all in quartz. In excellent cosmetic and working condition I doubt you would get over $200 for the man's model and $125 for the lady's. For more detailed info:
Go to eBay and use the "Advanced" option for the description, type in 'quartz omega seamaster', and select 'completed sales'. This shows what others are willing to pay and you may find your own model there.

Talk to a watch repairman about servicing. Quartz modules are so relatively cheap they are rarely repaired. Instead, they are replaced.
It may well be that you can have a running watch again for less than you think. And it costs nothing to ask!

I hope this helps.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Bill and Many thanks for replying. I must confess I hadn't thought of checking Evil Bay's completed sales, what a good idea, thank you. I was getting the impression that these were not going to be valuable - just my luck :001_rolleyes:

Thanks again for your help
Bob

·
Banned
28,405 Posts
Hi Bob. While not valuable relative to other vintage Omegas, it's a nice looking watch and is worth more than the average quartz watch from that time period from many other brands. Most of us don't know squat about quartz watches unfortunately. :001_unsure::blushing:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts