WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I last bought a watch about eleven years ago. It's a nice enough quartz watch, but not something that would impress any watch person. Its bracelet finally started to fall apart this spring. Wondering about what to do about it, I figured maybe I'm entitled to a watch every decade or so.

I walked into a jeweler's and asked to see what's available. There were a couple of watches there that I thought were rather nice. They were German, from Glashütte Original. The designs didn't immediately click, though -- I thought the numbers were a bit unnecessarily cute, for example -- and I felt the price was a bit extravagant too, so I walked out again, feeling pretty cheerful and liking the idea of German watches. I like German mechanical engineering and German design in general; it's matter of fact, functional, and well made. Besides which, everybody with any watch aspirations seems to have, or want, a Swiss watch.

I made my way onto the Internet, wanting to find out if there were any other nice German watches around that were perhaps a little less extravagant, and eventually found my way here. I read the FAQ's and many of the threads, and thanks to you guys, eventually started to make some kind of sense of this wonderful world of mechanical watches.

I finally settled on a watch that's been featured here, too: the Nomos Glashütte Club Datum. I like Nomos because it's independent, small, and plucky. I like their slightly wacky sense of humor. I like the fact that they make their own movements and actively do research and development. Their designs didn't initially really speak to me -- they seemed a bit too minimalistic and architectural for my blood. Then I came across the Club, which takes those very clean lines and makes them just a little bit sportier. The more I looked at it, the more it felt like the right watch for me.

Now I'm a happy owner of a Club Datum Dunkel, and I like it more by the day. I bought it at an official dealer in Koblenz. I'm not from Germany, but it so happened that I drove through, so that was nice too.

The question.

I've noticed that the hands of the watch are not perfectly parallel to the face. This is noticeable especially in direct sunlight, as they cast shadows that don't line up. Is this considered normal variation between individual watches, or something that I could or should have fixed? And if the latter, is it something the manufacturer would fix under warranty? The watch is otherwise so beautifully made, down to the very fine detailing on the face and the lovely decoration on the movement, that it made me wonder a little.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Congratulations on my favorite (owned) German watch!!!

As soon as I saw the Nomos Club Datum I had to have it too. It is easily the highest quality watch for the price!!! Very nice movement work and accurate enough for me to be satisfied. I also love the Shell Cordovan strap, it is very high quality and extremely comfortable!

I have found that the dial is very hard to photograph so my dial pictures are sub par, but I have a very cool movement picture!

I haven't noticed any non parallel hand problems, can you tell if mine suffers from the same problem as yours?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It looks like the second and hour hands might point just slightly up. On mine it's fairly noticeable with the minute hand in certain kinds of lighting, but I can't tell from your photo because you're shooting along it, as it were.

It's fairly easy to see in direct sunlight, because the shadow cast by the hands isn't parallel with them; in softer light not so much.

Also, the watch first caught my attention because of those photos of yours, so I bought mine thanks to you. And yeah, uncoated glass is a beast to photograph through; you'd need a dark room with a directional light to avoid the reflections.

How good time does yours keep? Mine seems about 5 seconds slow. Still very new, though, so I'd expect that to change as the movement wears in.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
I'd say about +\- 2 to 3 secs a day. I'm satisfied with its time keeping ability.

I notice on a lot of my vintage pieces the hands are not parallel to the dial for whatever reason. I don't think it is a problem and it is likely that they're doing it to prevent any contact points. Maybe the hands person is a little aggressive when they put 'em on. Not quite sure but I have noticed it too on a lot of my watches.

If you wanted to get a professional opinion on it, you can speak with Omega546 (Jesse), he is my watch guy and is part of this forum. You can ask him what he thinks is best and if there is a business reason for the hands not lining up.

I think Jporos may post on this thread too. Very nice and knowledgeable guy about German watches.

·
Premium Member
3,666 Posts
Nomos makes a great watch, I would also agree about the contact points and the hands. Best of luck with your new watch and please post pics

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Prime Junta, a picture would help...

Thanks. I'm relieved to hear that. I'll see if I can get a decent photo of it; description only goes so far.
sometimes hands are bent on purpose to point at the markers better.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
I knew you'd get in on this Jporos! (Thank you)

OP Jporos' description and interest in Nomos is what made me buy mine!

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Very nice!

Hmm... pic or it didn't happen?

Is it the hour hand curling up slightly? It's hard to tell, the minute hand looks dead straight. If it really bugs you, get in touch with your AD, and they will probably send it back to the factory to re-install new hands. Congrats Prime Junta, that's a beautiful watch in any case.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
I can see it in the hour hand too. Talk with the AD and let them know you're mildly unhappy. Your pictures are magnificent (just like the watch)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
They're both curling up a bit. It does bother me, a little. The watch is also about 5-10 seconds slow; if that persists after a month, I'll send it back for adjustment -- I understand it's supposed to be between 0 and 8 seconds fast, and it really would be more convenient to set a fast watch than a slow one. I'll probably ask if they can do something about the hands at that point.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Okay, here are a couple of photos specifically about this little niggle. This is about the most noticeable it gets, with the strong light casting shadows that don't line up.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
I can see it much better in your new photos.

Okay, here are a couple of photos specifically about this little niggle. This is about the most noticeable it gets, with the strong light casting shadows that don't line up.
I agree with Valtyr, talk it over with your AD and see what they can do. It's still a gorgeous watch no matter what happens!

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
That is very noticeable unfortunately. Let the AD know you're unhappy with it but still want it. Maybe they can do free service or replace.

Great pics again!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Bit of a thread resurrection here, but I think I owe it to NOMOS to give an update on the situation.

I contacted their customer service with a description of my issues. They asked me to send the watch in for service. I did so. I just got it back. The hands no longer curl up. Haven't checked how well it keeps time yet, but I would expect that to be sorted out too.

I asked them to replace the strap with a slightly shorter one for my skinny wrists, which they did as well—and didn't even charge for it.

The process went very smoothly. The turnaround time was about four weeks, plus the time it took for shipping.

I'm now very happy both with the watch, and the excellent service I got from NOMOS.

As an aside, when my parents saw my NOMOS, they liked it so much they dropped by Glashütte, and my mother is now the proud owner of a Ludwig 33 Limited Edition. Wish I was retired too, so I could put that kind of dedication into purchasing a watch!

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
A happy ending...

Glad to hear it Prime Junta.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Agreeing

I agree with the Nomos is a great watch and wears well with almost anything. I have been considering purchasing a new watch lately and I'm trying to keep an open mind and find a great deal. Is there any certain brands that aggressively trying to sell right now using discounts?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts