WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could be a good find for restoration, or could be an eBay ripoff. I did purchase this, but have yet to receive it. Advertised as a vintage Vulcain, but no logo on the dial, which at the time, I didn't know to look for. Could have worn off, or could be a non=Vulcain dial thrown in over a Vulcain movement.

Any Vulcain experts out there who might be able to tell me if Vulcain would have made a dial with no logo? Perhaps early on? Any help is appreciated, thanks!!

Vulcain.JPG

·
Super Moderator
15,640 Posts
I went into the dank, smelly vault housing the eBay Archives and found your watch. The bad news is that the seller is a lousy photographer and I couldn't get a good look at the movement, but the good news is the watch case looks genuine!

It's relatively old and the dial shows its age. It's possible that a former owner removed the Vulcain logo while trying to do a home clean-up job on it. Some markings come off rather easily if you're not careful. No, I am not aware of any models that did not have the Vulcain logo.
Here's another possibility

It could have had a Vulcain plaque that fell off over the years. I'm afraid there's no way to know for sure until we or a watch repairman has a good look at the movement. Good luck and let us know how it turns out!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you!

Thanks for the reply, Comet! Maybe I can look into refinishing the dial, or putting another dial in there. To put another one in there, I'll probably need to get lucky I'm afraid. eBay doesn't seem to be thick with Vulcain dials at the moment...Thanks again, and much obliged for the feedback!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Update on the Vulcain (pics)

Hey, Comet - got the Vulcain opened today...looks pretty decent inside, and it's seemingly keeping good time...Think I might see about sending it out for a refinished dial!

Vulcain inner back.jpg Vulcain movement.jpg

·
Super Moderator
15,640 Posts
You know we're gonna want shots of that project when it's done!!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts