WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
739 Posts
There was a thread a while back, either on this forum or another, of a member taking his Combat B to the Middle East on a combat tour. It doesn't get more abusive than that.

If you do a search, it shouldn't be too hard to find.

·
Registered
263 Posts
There was a thread a while back, either on this forum or another, of a member taking his Combat B to the Middle East on a combat tour. It doesn't get more abusive than that.

If you do a search, it shouldn't be too hard to find.
Actually, I don't think desert warfare is necessarily too hard on a watch. It just has to put up with gun vibrations. Or probably nothing if you're guarding a secure base.

·
Registered
659 Posts
The only real warning watches generally need (regardless of price paid for them):

Do not use as hammer.

Keep the crown screwed down.
No shower, hot tub or sauna.
These environments will expose your watch to high heat, high pressure and/or chemicals and lubricants. Do not expose a watch, even a diver's-rated watch, to any of these conditions as the o-ring gaskets can degrade and/or fail, and there go your internals, floating like a golden lily.... down an amber river...

However, Lum-Tec being a firm proponent of free will, one still decides to take the risk.......

·
Registered
691 Posts
have you guys put the lum tec watches through rough test such camping?

have you exposed the watches to dirt, mud, swimming?
Perhaps I am too OCD about the appearance of my watches .... but activities such as you describe are better suited for workhorse throw-a-ways like Casio G-Shocks. I prefer to wear my higher end watches in less hazardous environments, thank-you-very-much. Of course, I'm the guy that washes and waxes his lawn mower, so what do you expect?

OkeefenokeeJoe

·
Registered
246 Posts
Ahhh... here comes a thread in which I can once again express my appreciation for this brand :001_rolleyes:

Jup: wearing my M6 almost every single day and I've done so for the past two years in every(!) situation that I came into. Just to name a few: swimming in the ocean, exchanging tires, carrying rocks from one place to the other in the yard, cleaning up the garage, renovating the basement, on hiking trips, doing work outs, daily shower, making hats, but also at the office, when giving a lecture, when meeting with customers, on a wedding and last but not least, when my daughter was born 1.5 months ago :001_tt1:

Looks brand spanking new except for a few scratches on the crystal, that I can live with easily (and I HATE that socalled "well worn look" on whatches:blink:).

What I do though, is changing the straps several times a week, according to the situation. The original rubber strap is my favorite by far though.

Cheers,

Marc

·
Registered
28 Posts
I do my best to expose mine to as much range time as possible, both indoor and outdoor. My initial worries about the recoil were ill-founded.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
My Lum tec has been a very good watch so far, firearm vibrations, motorcycling, boating even working around the shop and yard, the only complaint is the black coating is poorly done and my other black watches even the cheaper ones have held up better....

·
Registered
13 Posts
Mine has been...

...pretty durable so far. I wear my watch (M47) for everything I do, with the exception of maybe mechanic work. I usually stick my watch in my pocket for any greasy grimy stuff. The crystal doesn't show any wear yet. I started getting scuffs and scratches on the coating really quick though. I had one really pronounced one on the left side of the face in the first week. Strange thing is, it has since kinda healed itself over with wear. Has anyone else experienced this. I wish I had taken some before and after photos, but I really wasn't expecting it. Over all, I have been very pleased with this watch. I wear it on the metal bracelet, not out of choice, but because all the other straps were too small. They need to correct this problem. I would love to wear the rubber strap, just not an option.

·
Registered
116 Posts
years back i had my combat on over my parka when The snowpocalypse happened in Chicago. The Nato style strap made it easy to know the time without messing with the gloves tucked under my parka. I had to clear a 25 foot long stretch of walk way to get from the house to the garage to get the snow blower out. I think i was out there for 2 hours digging threw the snow which was higher than me in lots of areas and i'm 5'11. The watch was on the outside of my parka remember because when i was down my arms and legs were soaking wet from all the snow. the watch never skipped a beat and fit perfect to what i needed it and how i needed it.

my combat B is my beater watch and is worn when the other watches in my sig are not going anywhere near bad conditions.

·
Registered
330 Posts
riverrats-- I'd bet you didn't actually get a scratch in the coating, but rather something 'scratched off' another surface onto your watch & it eventually wore off. I had what looked like a scratch on my M41, but turns out it was some aluminum that had rubbed onto my watch & rubbed off with a little elbow grease. And yes, I wear mine to work every day-- I work in a bucket truck on communications lines & equipment on utility poles, & have no scratches in the PVD yet.

·
Registered
532 Posts
My Lum-tec PVD also sort of healed itself, the second week I had it I smacked it on a large steel I-pole, big ugly scratch, or so I thought, even though I tried to rub it out off, it was still there, a month later it was gone. Interesting, I guess it was embedded on the surface really well to look like scratch, but like you say it was the surface material from the pole. Very strange, but good, watch still looks new now. The PVD coating is tough.

·
Premium Member
2,709 Posts
Perhaps I am too OCD about the appearance of my watches .... but activities such as you describe are better suited for workhorse throw-a-ways like Casio G-Shocks. I prefer to wear my higher end watches in less hazardous environments, thank-you-very-much. Of course, I'm the guy that washes and waxes his lawn mower, so what do you expect?

OkeefenokeeJoe
I'm with OkeeJoe! If it is hazardous watch duty on goes the G-Shock Mudman.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I also tend to put on a G-Shock when I know I'm going to be really hard on my watch. My Lum-Tec's are tough, but I want to keep 'em looking nice. I don't baby them, but I am careful.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
350 Posts
I'm the opposite of some people here: I spent a good bit of money on my watch, hell if I'm going to baby it - they should be able to withstand normal use - and they do. I've done everything from hand-forging knives, to blowing out the sprinkler systems of 1500 houses while wearing my B2 Carbon, and guess what? It still works just fine.

These are just watches, people, GO DO SOMETHING WITH THEM and enjoy it. Life's too **** short to be worrying about all these infantile details, folks.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Ive had my Super Combat B2 for over a year now. Recently had 2 1/2 months off from work. Went backpacking in Zion Nat Park Utah. Two trips to Big Sur backpacking. Just got back from two weeks in Sweden and Norway fishing/Camping/Climbing. Never even thought about my watch and looks the same the day I bought it. Also forgot to take it off during several saunas up North because that's what they are into up there.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.