WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone

I'm new to the forum, having purchased my first Hamilton watch.

Over the years I've had the usual stuff - Rolex, Omega, Breiting, Panerai, Jaeger. In truth, owning some of these pieces has been the kudos in being seen wearing them.

I'm now looking at watches because I LIKE them. Recently I've had a number of TW Steels but whilst I still enjoy wearing a large watch I'm finding that 50mm is just that bit too big.

So, my first Hamilton is a Khaki Pilot 46mm with black dial and dark brown strap, although I have also bought the light tan strap and S/S bracelet to fit.

Amongst many features, I love the easy-to-read face and the fact that as I move the watch about the numerals pick up the colours around them until I look at the dial full on when the S/S shines out.

Imagine my dismay therefore on browsing the forum to find that my watch does not appear popular among Hamilton devotees and might even have a cheapo Chinese movement!

Before I throw the watch into the skip, is there anyone who can give me encouragement that I haven't bought a turkey?

Best Regards

BARRY

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Hello, and welcome! All indications I have is that the 46mm Pilot has the ETA 2836-2 Swiss movement. Popularity or lack thereof should never be an indication of "turkey" status. If you like the watch, then that should be your indication of its worth.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Hamilton makes a great watch and a good price point, and that makes some in the watch community "haters". It has a Swiss ETA movement (one could argue that since they are both part of the Swatch Group - like Omega - that this is an "in house" movement) that MAY have some non-critical Chinese parts in the ebauche.

While I doubt it will run hundreds of years like the original American Hamiltons, it will serve you well, and if you DO have any issues with it, just about any watchmaker on earth can service it cheaply.

·
Registered
494 Posts
We definitely have critics on this site, but doesn't every watch forum? The ETA movement is proven both for accuracy and for reliability. The pilot dial is one of the most enduringly popular styles. Currently, the mid-40's size range is the most popular and sizes that are larger just make the watch uncomfortable to wear. Many of today's watches do not have the current resale value of their forebears. That is just a fact. I would expect the Hamilton name, the ETA movement and the pilot dial, though, to help this watch hold its value better than most others in the same price range.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts