WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Westclox wristwatch with a PC33 Hattori movement. It has day and date. It keeps good time, but the day of the week doesn't seem to want to turn over properly anymore. Last night, the date did change properly after I set it. I polished the fading, cheesy gold tone off the face where remnants were left asymmetrically, and applied some Tarnex to the entire watch. I plan to apply some gold fingernail polish to the back where it is pitted and black, then a layer of the clear polish over it, per some advice elsewhere, for a quick, cheap "restoration", to prevent future pitting. (The stuff is cheap to buy, and after my next home cleaning, a new coat won't take long.)

I am troubled by the non-functioning day of the week. I'd like to remove the stem, pull the movement, and try to clean the face of the watch. There seems to be some green material creeping on one edge, and the beginning of a brown stain. I thought some Tarnex might be effective with a Q-tip. I may also need to replace the movement. I've found the PC33 Hattori movements on-line for less than twelve dollars with shipping. I don't know which button (or lever) to manipulate to pull the stem to remove the movement. I suppose I could try a pair of needle nosed pliers on either side of the stem in the plastic spacer, and simply unscrew the crown, but that might leverage internal parts while pulling the stem through the tube to remove the movement. Can anyone give me a precise idea (or photo) of how to remove the stem of a PC33 Hattori? Any ideas regarding why the day of the week isn't turning? Should I just replace the movement? (I understand that I'll need to pull the hands, which will require a special tool. Does the watch face then come off easily?)

Thank you!

P.S. Please note my other question regarding the Deporte watch in a thread below this one. I also need to learn the stem size and how to replace it relative to that watch. The crown and stem fell out years ago. I hate to have non-functional watches laying around, but for ten to fifty dollars for the watches, the cost of repair doesn't make sense.

·
Super Moderator
16,885 Posts
The easiest way to learn is to go to The Poor Man's Watch Forums ( pmwf.com is my favorite) for an article with photos, or google "how to remove a watch stem". There are also a few YouTube vids available. For mechanicals you're looking for an extremely tiny screw and, for quartz, a depression to push in. These screws and depressions are located either directly over the stem or right next to the stem, depending on the movement's manufacturer. I highly recommend you first practice on a movement or two which is beyond salvation because actual stem removal is a bit trickier than the directions make it seem.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.