·
Banned
18,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
.....or in other words,

Trading Overseas

Well Guys

How many of you have done this?

I've come close on two occasions only to be narrowly outbid. I know some members here and elsewhere have bought from overseas. I guess that assuming all precautions were in place, buying from a trusted source who was based abroad would be no more different to closing a deal with someone on the other side of town. Well that isn't all perhaps. Depending on where you are, import tax could be a killer..... :eek:

Have you ever tried selling and indeed shipping overseas?

I tried swapping once but both parties eventually realized that unless you were well-versed in this practice, it is really no small logistical feat. Shipping within one's own borders is a piece of cake but across boundaries and oceans is another matter. Not all carriers would be happy about shipping something like a watch or indeed other pieces of jewelry. USPS would do it under their Global Priority service. However if you were in England the privilege of using Royal Mail's equivalent tracking and sign-for service to ship say to Mississippi would cost you something like $160 for a watch valued at $1400.

Crazy hunh?

OK pals, have you encountered similar difficulties trying to send something abroad?

Let's talk :thumbup1: or indeed vent..... :cursing:

Oh... this thread would be incomplete without a MUSIC CONUNDRUM

So, which hit song in the early 70s sung by whom had the phrase.... Hands Across The Water.......?

Easy, hunh? :D:D:D

Y'all have a nice evening now pals

ZIN

·
Banned
2,511 Posts
Sir Paul McCartney wrote and sang the song,Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey.

I have shipped quite a few watches over seas and have'nt(knock on wood) had any problems except delayed shipping due to customs holding them,but 10 days is the longest my customers have had to wait to receive their watches.International sales are my companies specialty.

·
Banned
18,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My Goodness Mr Triton

You Da Music Man of WTF

It was indeed Paul and Linda McCartney.

Glad to know you're helping the US Balance of Payments :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Bonus Question

On which album was the song?

Now getting back to business - I would say it's probably easier for you in the US to send overseas than for instance I in the UK to do so. It's possible that were I to do it as a business, there would be facilities which make it easier for me but not as a one-off. I recall courier companies offering me facilities for sending good abroad but as I don't do that it didn't pay me to sign up with them. USPS always seemed to me to be better set up to facilitate the man in the street, both on service and cost.

Be well my friend

ZIN

·
Banned
2,511 Posts
The album is Ram my friend:biggrin:

You are correct about USPS,they are inexpensive and have excellent service.Also their tracking is amazing,they certainly have to keep their claims to a minimum ya know.:wink:

·
Banned
18,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes I knew you'd know it.....:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Man those were the early days. Paul and Linda had Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey, John with his " Mother ", Ringo was saying " It Don't Come Easy " and George at that time was the biggest hit of the all the four in the post Beatles' era with " My Sweet Lord " from his album " All Things Must Pass " and of course that " Concert For Bangla Desh ". Do you remember that?

I was much younger and had more hair in those days!!! :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Be well pal

ZIN

·
Banned
2,511 Posts
I've heard of that concert,but I was born in 65, so I was wee lad.I started loving those guys probably around 10,Elton John too.

·
Banned
18,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't really know much about George Harrison or any of The Beatles for that matter. I wouldn't class myself as a fan but they did make some great music and George Harrison was a humanitarian in view of what I have read or know of him.

Have a nice day Larry

ZIN

·
Registered
98 Posts
I´ve bought a lot of things on eBay, but nothing like a watch!! And I never would...

Try to imagine a OMEGA costing US$ 2,000.00 plus freight to Brazil (expensive as usual, something like 100.00) plus customs taxes of 60% (that´s right, sixty percent taxes!!:cursing:). Total, around US$ 3,300.00!!!
NO WAY!! I´d rather go to the US myself and purchase a watch there! :thumbup1:

Rafael.

·
Banned
18,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yikes Rafael, 60% is serious daylight robbery!!! I thought we were expensive enough in Western Europe.

Your brand new prices must I suspect be sky high as well then... :001_rolleyes:

Cheerio 4 now pal

ZIN

·
Registered
98 Posts
By the way...

"Houston, location: Constellation Omega"

Zin!! You better ask NASA for the shipping costs to your place!! :lol::lol::lol:

OK, just kidding..... :thumbup1:

Best regards,
Rafael.

·
Banned
18,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
By the way...

"Houston, location: Constellation Omega"

Zin!! You better ask NASA for the shipping costs to your place!! :lol::lol::lol:

OK, just kidding..... :thumbup1:

Best regards,
Rafael.

Actually I dare not..... :lol::lol::lol:

Be seein' ya pal

ZIN

·
Registered
27 Posts
Re Hands Across The Water

On a P2B basis, the internet buying experience is nerve racking in itself. Add the element of the seller/item being located in another country. All you need now is a warning label that says “Not for the Faint Hearted”.

Communication was the first thing on the check list. I started with the biggest names on ebay, online stores etc. When they stopped replying, I didn’t pursue it. Caution works both ways.

Details were next. Authenticity, package contents, payment, shipping etc. Whether you believe it or not, the hard part was over. You can control who the seller is, but you can’t control the people in between the seller and your home. I sweated, but I was aware it was useless.

Duties and taxes in my country amounted to roughly 22%. After reading mestreaudi’s post, 22% doesn’t seem like much anymore.

Would I do it again? Yes, but preferably with the same seller. My work has always been in service oriented fields. I know how to cultivate repeat business and I know what’s reasonable and what’s not. The temperament of the person in the front desk answering calls/emails is key.

I was lucky in terms of pricing, seller and uneventful shipping. Was it worth it?

Can you see me smiling?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts