WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
5,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Wanna see a cool watch? In 1959, Hamilton introduced the Valiant, a horseshoe shaped case. And are you ready for this? Hamilton experimented with naugahyde dials for this model.

It had the 770 movement.

Apologies on the quality of the pic as it is a tough watch to find.

·
Banned
5,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Rene', I AM curious why the thought of using a naugahyde dial ever entered into the equation?

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
I would see why this would not be so attractive...In this case "Nauga" gave in to his cousin "Formalde".

·
Registered
507 Posts
Rene', I AM curious why the thought of using a naugahyde dial ever entered into the equation?
It was an offshoot to the "Sherwood" program, when they experimented with making dials with a wood veneer. As long as they were tinkering they decided to try another (modern) material. But somehow naugahyde just doesn't look as nice as wood.... And as it turned out, the wood dials were a failure in the market anyway.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
It was an offshoot to the "Sherwood" program, when they experimented with making dials with a wood veneer. As long as they were tinkering they decided to try another (modern) material. But somehow naugahyde just doesn't look as nice as wood.... And as it turned out, the wood dials were a failure in the market anyway.

And now you can't touch one for less than a grand!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts