WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Working Well; Watch comes out from top of case by removing the top Glass Portion, Stem is a split male-female, Crown remains inside watch case doesn't come out. Once stem separated from female portion. Watch is working well, like most old vintage watches the second hand doesn't stop moving when crown is fully pulled out to set the time; you would have to set the hour/minute hand and wait for the second hand to hit the 12 O'Clock position to press the crown back in place. Need the Proper Name to this Hamilton Watch ?

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well made contact with René Rondeau on this one, and he writes the following...

That is a "Nordon," first cataloged in 1949. It's part of the "CLD" series, meaning 'sealed.' These were not waterproof in the modern sense but they had gasketing that was more secure than used in other watches of the era, making them less susceptible to dust and moisture. The large crown with split stem is characteristic of the series.

I attach a catalog image.

Best regards,
René

·
Super Moderator
15,550 Posts
I believe you have the NORDON model, available through the Hammy catalogs from 1950 - 1952. The NORDON was part of the Hamilton "cld" line, the cld was a tongue-in-cheek way of them saying the watch was "sealed against moisture". It had a 10-karat gold-filled case , 18-ka, and rat gold numerals and markers and originally sold for $71.50 (that's just short of $800 in today's allowance for inflation. The NORDON came in either luminous OR non-luminous hands (your watch appears to have the luminous hands).

I said "I believe you have a NORDON" because in 1949 it looked slightly different than in later years, and that dial was used on the LANGE. I cannot be sure because your photo conveniently hides what the four lugs of the case look like, and clearly seeing the shape of a watches lugs can sometimes be critical in making a positive identification. Hamilton used many differently shaped lugs on their post-war models.

When the crystal needs to be removed in order to access the movement of the watch, we call that an ''out-the-front movement''. And a watch that stops the sweep second hand when the crown is pulled out is called a watch that "hacks".
(or a hacking watch).

·
Super Moderator
15,550 Posts
PERSONAL NOTE TO EDDIE R: Thanks for including an image from a Hamilton salesman's catalog. Unfortunately my "screen grab" feature isn't working properly right now! :)
And I will bow to Rene Rondeau's expertise! LoL

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This one had me perplexed so I gave up and decided to contact the one person who I felt would know what this watch was...

René within minutes of me sending him a email, replied on this one immediately, from what I recall René is a member here, I have been away for quite awhile, this watch brought me back here...

Thanks for your reply, between Your response & René, I now know it's a Hamilton 'LONDON'...

Best Always,

EddieR

·
Super Moderator
5,839 Posts
This one had me perplexed so I gave up and decided to contact the one person who I felt would know what this watch was...

René within minutes of me sending him a email, replied on this one immediately, from what I recall René is a member here, I have been away for quite awhile, this watch brought me back here...

Thanks for your reply, between Your response & René, I now know it's a Hamilton 'LONDON'...

Best Always,

EddieR
I'm confused. Is this watch a 'Nordon' or a 'London' ??

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ouch my mistake Nordon, type-O on my part... (Corrected), thanks for noticing the error on my part

·
Super Moderator
15,550 Posts
[ EddieR: " from what I recall René is a member here...." ]

Yes, technically, Renee is still a member here, although he hasn't actively posted for a number of years. IIRC He was active back when John B Holbrook ll was still the owner and administrator of WTF.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts