WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update: I was able to contact a Hamilton expert outside of the forum and he gave me this info, thought I would post his answer to help others in the future.

"As far as the case goes, it's very nice but has been buffed some.* Mint is probably stretching it.

The seller's photos are not super crisp, so it's a bit difficult to tell just how sharp the edges are.

As far as the dial goes, I'm having a hard time telling for sure if it's the original finish.* The photos are not crisp enough to tell just how bold the lettering is.* If I could see it with a loupe, I could tell you for sure on that.* I can't see anything for sure that makes me know it's a redial.

If the dial is original, then the watch is a good 8 or 9 out of 10 compared to most Ventura watches I see.

I hope that helps."

·
Super Moderator
15,309 Posts
The photos are crap and they're useless. Why waste my time?

·
Super Moderator
15,309 Posts
View attachment 197369

Which are you interested in?
You say you're interested in a Ventura, but you link to a Pacer on the Ebay auction.
Pacers have the distinctive triangular hour markers, while the Ventura exclusively uses gold 3-D beads for markers.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I purchased the Ventura listed in the first post and it's sold, that's why it's showing you the pacer and the Ventura is above as sold, I also purchased a Pacer but after I bought it, it kind of looks like a terrible redial:001_unsure: I guess I will find out when it arrives.

·
Premium Member
5,361 Posts
Lately on ebay, when an item already sold, it will pop up a new auction (Pacer) in its place and the old auction which was originally posted will be at the top (Ventura). Weird if you ask me....

sold.jpg

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
IMG_2807.JPG
Im no expert so after I purchased this Pacer I noticed how bad the lettering looked. Is it as bad as I think.

·
Super Moderator
15,309 Posts
Im no expert so after I purchased this Pacer I noticed how bad the lettering looked. Is it as bad as I think.
Judging by that pic alone, I'd say yes, it is. I used Windows Zoom to blow the pic up 400% and got my copy of Rene Rondeau's book THE WATCH OF THE FUTURE The Story of the Hamilton Electric Watch to find more dial photos. Under magnification, the L in Hamilton looks like it's tipped slightly downward, while the L in electric looks like it's tipped slightly upward. Also, the 1st E in electric looks funky and there is no cross bar on the 2nd E!

Capture.JPG

And if I wanna be REALLY picky, the O and N in Hamilton look like they're touching.

Reactions: Catman8

·
Super Moderator
15,309 Posts
That strap is a total fake! The eBay seller may not be aware of this.
(And I may win the $163,000,000 PowerBall jackpot on Wednesday)

Below are scans from Rene Rondeau's book THE WATCH OF THE FUTURE. They show what the front and back of an original two-tone strap should look like.

DSC_4143.jpg
Hammy Strap.jpg

For members with small screens, the text reads:
"The original two-tone "Ventura" strap had a stripe of 24K gols applique, as indicated by the stamping son the back. It was fitted with a Hamilton-signed 14K solid gold buckle.

Reproductions have been made in recent years. Those marketed by the author are clearly stamped "RENE RONDEAU" to ensure they cannot be passed off as original. However, an unknown supplier has reproduced new straps stamped (illegally) with the Hamilton name, and a crude "H" logo. In addition, these are stamped "electric" while the originals were never marked with that word. These Hamilton-signed replicas have been sold as original to collectors unfamiliar with the real thing.

The reproduction straps can be easily recognized by the fact they are lined with tan kidskin and have two narrow keepers rather than the single wide style of the original. Also, they have been made in either 17mm or 18mm metric width, whereas the originals were marked 11/16".

Outside of lucking onto an original strap on the Swamp, I can't offer many suggestions. Ideally, you would go to the NAWCC and find out where and when there is a watch collector's show being held close to you. Go to the show, visit the booths, and hope you find a collector with a strap for sale (or knows where you can score one).

·
Premium Member
5,361 Posts
Is this guy saying it's a NOS vintage original band, or a copy. What do you get out of his description.
I'm looking for a band like this for my Ventura, is there other places you can recommend to look.
If you read this auction very carefully you will see two Red Flags:

1. This one is a perfect new made one - perfectly match your Ventura, like it should.

2. NOS-quality.

This seller is admitting its "New Made". And its Nos Quality, not necessarily just NOS. Sneaky wording for a fake.

Buying stuff on ebay is like a carpenter cutting a piece of lumber:
Measure twice, cut once. Always read the auction many times to see if creative wording pops out as bogus, then hit the Buy key!!!

The auction is very deceiving and the seller may have figured out the perfect words to throw you off but these two comments in the auction are a big 'Tell". Considering this is a German auction, there may be abit of a language barrier also.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the info guys. I know that eBay translates foreign languages into English and sometimes the sellers description gets twisted, because different nationalities use different phrasings.

·
Premium Member
5,361 Posts
And just to vent on the term NOS, not directing this at anybody but more about its use in terminology.

"NOS" isn't a description of Condition! If someone says its NOS doesn't mean its a Mint part. It does mean it was never sold at retail and 'was' new and never used. But an NOS part can either be very clean due to its location of storage or it can be hammered dog dodo. If a person stored a NOS part in an attic or basement of bottom of a parts draw, that part may look horrible, even if its still NOS. And a item/watch cared for very well but was bought and sold 30 times can look better then a 'proclaimed' NOS part. Be cautious when using or viewing things that Proclaim they are NOS>>>>> :thumbup1:

·
Super Moderator
15,309 Posts
Again; I'm forced to rely on eBay photos for information. But I don't see any warning signs.
If this interests you, it is an older model. The Pacer was produced from 1960 to 1967 and because of the block letter font on the dial, this Pacer was made in either 1960 or 1961. In 1962, Hamilton switched to that modernistic script for the word "Electric"/

Reactions: Catman8

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Again; I'm forced to rely on eBay photos for information. But I don't see any warning signs.
If this interests you, it is an older model. The Pacer was produced from 1960 to 1967 and because of the block letter font on the dial, this Pacer was made in either 1960 or 1961. In 1962, Hamilton switched to that modernistic script for the word "Electric"/
Like this one, thanks. That script does look pretty cool, and the H above Hamilton. great, now I need one of those.

IMG_2822.jpg

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Judging by that pic alone, I'd say yes, it is. I used Windows Zoom to blow the pic up 400% and got my copy of Rene Rondeau's book THE WATCH OF THE FUTURE The Story of the Hamilton Electric Watch to find more dial photos. Under magnification, the L in Hamilton looks like it's tipped slightly downward, while the L in electric looks like it's tipped slightly upward. Also, the 1st E in electric looks funky and there is no cross bar on the 2nd E!

View attachment 197381

And if I wanna be REALLY picky, the O and N in Hamilton look like they're touching.
My Hamilton Pacer just arrived today and so relieved that it does not look like the photo above, I know I am a little late to the Hamilton party but WOW, this Pacer is one beautiful watch. To my untrained eye it looks nice, The listing said the dial has been refinished to factory specifications, So whats your expert opinion from the new photos provided on the quality of the redial, sorry the pics are not that great.

P9190093.jpg
P9190094.jpg
P9190097.jpg
View attachment 197411
P9190100.jpg

1 - 20 of 40 Posts