WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I picked up my first vintage Hamilton and I was hoping to find some information about the case, particularly the lug bars. I've seen a lot of Thin-o-matics with regular lugs but not many with these bars. Is this an unusual casing? Is there a proper name for these bars (I want to say I've seen them referenced as "T bars" in the past, but I could be wrong)? The bars are slightly twisted so I'm guessing this particular watch might not carry a lot of value. I didn't pay much for it though as it was a flea market find, so I won't be too disappointed if it's a bust:001_tongue:

Overall, the dial looks pretty good (the "dirt" around 3 o'clock is just a reflection from bad lighting when I took the photo). There is some dust and a few random fibers floating around inside the crystal, but other than that, it should clean up well.

photo.jpg

·
Super Moderator
15,650 Posts
Having them called T bars is a new one on me. I have no doubt that is what you saw, but my suspicion is that the original author was trying to be "cute" or else was calling the reader's attention to their unique shape. It's one of the reasons I'm so drawn to Hamiltons. I'd just call them lugs.

Take it to a jeweler (he is more of a metallurgist than a watch repairman would be) to see if it makes sense financially to have that lug bent back into shape again.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info! The more I look at this one the more I like it. It'll be interesting to see what the jeweler will charge to bend those lugs back into proper form. I found a jeweler in my area that also specializes in Hamiltons. I'll keep you posted as to how this one is coming along.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts