WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Moderator
16,568 Posts
Well, there's certainly nothing wrong with choosing a Sutton as your first watch. I'd like to have one in my own collection someday.

But you should really consider which direction you want your collection to go in. Is it for fun or strictly financial investment? Will you be interested in a particular style or shape of case? Will you specialize in premium movements like the Hamilton 770? Manually wound, automatic, electric? Pre-World War II-era examples? Art Deco? The ultra-modernistic shapes like the Flight II? Subsidiary second hand or a central sweep second hand? Strictly American-made movements?

I've found that the watches I enjoy the most are the ones that had a specific reason behind the purchase.

·
Premium Member
1,643 Posts
The Sutton is definitely a nice model to start with. Despite being a bit skinny, it is quite long so wears well on the average to small wrist. Any vintage watch is going to look a bit lost on a large wrist so it becomes a matter of personal happiness if you have a large wrist and want to go vintage. The other good thing about the Sutton is that prices are usually quite reasonable, say $200 +/- $50 at a guess.

As a matter of fact, a Sutton was one of my first vintage Hamiltons. I was very fortunate to get one with an original enamel dial in very good condition and in my opinion it looks better than those with the applied gold numerals. I was extraordinarily lucky to win the online auction for $72 in 2009.

The enamel dial variant was the entry level for many Hamiltons and people inevitably wanted to spend the few extra dollars for the gold numerals. So it's ironic that today the enamel dialled variant for any vintage Hamilton is now much more difficult to find than their gold numeral siblings.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks!

Bill and Roger, thanks for your input. I'll probably only buy one or two more Hamiltons. I've always wanted one and I just want a couple of special watches that I'll enjoy wearing in rotation. I chose the Sutton because I always wanted a curved Hamilton, but it turns out it was an excellent choice since I have a small wrist. (My grandfather was the only other male in the family with a small wrist, which worked out great when I inhertied his gold watch with a gold metal band - I was the only one it would fit!) My next will probably be a larger, square 1950's Hamilton, like the Roger, Carlton, or the Murray. And I did get my Sutton in the lower half of that price range, so I'm very happy.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Arthur,

I am a bit late getting to this party. But, I think you will be pleased with the Sutton.

Another square from the the 50's that presents well, regarding overall size, is the DeWitt. It has rounded corners, as does the Carlton but, with smaller lugs.

Also, the 30's Square Cut Corners are very nice, as are the Hastings and Greenwiches of that era.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.