WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
5,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My apologies if you read this story in the Invicta forum but it is Hamilton related times three. foghorn suggested I tell this story, so I shall.

In the 1960's, I purchased a novelty watch that was advertised in Esquire magazine. Turned out that it was a 17 jewel mechanical (wind-up for you newbies) made by the Hamilton Watch Company, then still an American company in Lancaster, PA. I loved the watch, got lots of comments on it and I had a chance to buy a similar one, also a Hamilton.

Fast forward to the 1970's. . . I was married with children and we sold our house to move to a larger one. Prior to the move, we had a garage sale and my wife suggested that if I am not going to wear the Hamilton's, I should put them on a table at the sale. Oh, and I also had an ORIGINAL Pulsar quartz digital, with the red readout. By then, I had moved on to more adult-acceptable watches, the first Casio calculator watch that my then boss said was "the best invention he had seen since sliced bread."

So, to the garage sale they went where they both were sold to the same guy for 10 bucks and I threw in the Pulsar for another 5 bucks.

Well, I have seen that Hamilton watch on ebay selling for $185-215. Boy I wish I had just wrapped 'em up and moved them.

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
Upon the death of my Grandma aver 10 years ago, we had one of those garage sales....On a card table in the middle of the driveway sat an old Jaeger-LeCoultre Atmos clock. Being something we could never touch because it would "knock it out of whack" none of us thought much of the clock .....So it sold.....I was offered $15 but I got $17! Boy was I the shrewd (screwed) seller! These clocks go upwards from $600 to over $1,000......

So Rusty, you aren't the only "Homer" on this Forum!

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
Not sure....

My apologies if you read this story in the Invicta forum but it is Hamilton related times three. foghorn suggested I tell this story, so I shall.

In the 1960's, I purchased a novelty watch that was advertised in Esquire magazine. Turned out that it was a 17 jewel mechanical (wind-up for you newbies) made by the Hamilton Watch Company, then still an American company in Lancaster, PA. I loved the watch, got lots of comments on it and I had a chance to buy a similar one, also a Hamilton.

Fast forward to the 1970's. . . I was married with children and we sold our house to move to a larger one. Prior to the move, we had a garage sale and my wife suggested that if I am not going to wear the Hamilton's, I should put them on a table at the sale. Oh, and I also had an ORIGINAL Pulsar quartz digital, with the red readout. By then, I had moved on to more adult-acceptable watches, the first Casio calculator watch that my then boss said was "the best invention he had seen since sliced bread."

So, to the garage sale they went where they both were sold to the same guy for 10 bucks and I threw in the Pulsar for another 5 bucks.

Well, I have seen that Hamilton watch on ebay selling for $185-215. Boy I wish I had just wrapped 'em up and moved them.
What to say Rust but , I have tears in my eyes .......sorry got to go:crying:

·
Registered
260 Posts
Upon the death of my Grandma aver 10 years ago, we had one of those garage sales....On a card table in the middle of the driveway sat an old Jaeger-LeCoultre Atmos clock. Being something we could never touch because it would "knock it out of whack" none of us thought much of the clock .....So it sold.....I was offered $15 but I got $17! Boy was I the shrewd (screwed) seller! These clocks go upwards from $600 to over $1,000......

So Rusty, you aren't the only "Homer" on this Forum!
Should have sold it to me, always wanted an atmos, i would have given you $20 :wink:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts